1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Partial upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by StaticFX, 26 Feb 2014.

1. StaticFX

StaticFX What's a Dremel?

Hello!

current PC

Win 8.1
    ASUS P5Q-PRO
    E8500 OC'd to 3.6ghz
    8GB RAM (Wintec 2x4gb and OCZ Reaper 2x4GB)
    XFX Radeon HD 6870 Double D
    PC Power and Cooling 610W PSU
    Enermax ETS-T40 Cooler (won it)
    Enermax iVektor case (Won it too!)
    2 x 500 GB SATA HD's
    1 x 300? GB SATA HD

I dont have the money for a complete build... but would like to upgrade my MB & CPU

I know I can reuse the Gfx Card, PSU, case, cooler, and HD's (I know it will slow it down a bit.. but baby steps here! lol)

I have $300-400 (USD) to spend... been a while since i have followed any of this stuff. So I am looking for advice..

can I reuse any of the ram? (Doubting it)

I was looking at some boards/cpu and the AMD's have R7's built in??? Would that be better than my card? lol I have no clue!!! so...any advice? AMD? Intel? Links to products helps :)

THANKS!!!:rock:

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Rocking the E8500! Still a great chip, got mine rolling at 4GHz! :thumb:

You'll have to ditch the RAM I'm afraid. I would recommend initially buying Motherboard, CPU, RAM and an SSD if you can fit it in for a fresh operating system install. What do you use your PC for? Give Bit-Techers an idea of what to build for you!

3. StaticFX

GAMES!!! lol

Thief (I won a copy) brought it to its knees.... first game I have tried that absolute choked.
    Even BF4 would run "ok"...

bah....didnt think of the fresh install, but yeah.. probably will need to do that too or win 8 will freak out lol

I would like to get as much "longevity" as possible...

so if I get, say an i5 4670k - i know it should last a while (and can be over clocked)

I know I can be too picky, but looks are important too.. so No blue ram and red mb parts LOL

4. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

An i5 4670k will wipe out most of your budget, good chip though and gives you some future proofing with an overclock!

Quite keen on the MSI boards these days, the MSI Z87-G45 is aesthetically pleasing and has a sensible layout and feature set also very capable CPU overclocker...

[​IMG]

This will consume $400 just for Motherboard and CPU! Spare any extra for RAM on top?

5. StaticFX

lol thats exactly the pair I was eyeballing! the look of that MB alone makes it worth the money!

I might need to dip a little further in.... lol

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Worth considering a second hand Ivy Bridge bundle as well, you'd get 95% of the performance and probably get 8GB and a cooler chucked in for similar money.

7. StaticFX

used? .... I wont buy used PC parts (although I plan on selling mine lol) I dont trust it and who knows how they were run? how long? how hot? etc....

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Fair enough, it's a big market full of bargains but I can understand a bit of reticence. We're lucky to have a fairly close knit UK marketplace on here so we're probably spoiled compared to you folks across the pond.