1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX TITAN Black Review: feat. ZOTAC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 26 Feb 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There's a lot of misconception about VRAM IMHO.

You only need more than 3GB if you're running 4K (or near enough) with beyond 4xMSAA/SSAA AND you have enough GPU power (think four way SLI with overclocked Titans) to run it. Personally, I find FXAA is very effective at high resolution as the reduced pixel pitch removes the FXAA 'blurring' effect it is famous for and the need for silly high AA is removed.

2. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

This. VRAM can become a bottleneck, but single GPU cards aren't really at the point where they can run 4K at full settings. And as you said, the need for MSAA with a 4K screen is essentially zero - it's why we test without it in each of the newer (non-Skyrim) games.

3. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

Personally it's because of Titanfall which has insane which can consume over 3GB VRAM (I was stuttering on my 7950 on insane texture quality), though it doesn't even apparently have the texture quality of the likes of BF4 or Crysis 3. There's also future games to consider @ 2560x1440, I suppose @ 1080p 3GB is good enough for a long while with a 780 ti but at 2560x1440? I think 4GB should be at least considered or maybe I just want to run Witcher 3 at max at 2560x1440 :lol:.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

To max witcher 3 will require more than 1 gpu id imagine, Witcher 2 required 2 of the best at the time to max.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Even with 3 GTX670 4GB cards, Witcher 2 still eat my system maxed at 2560x1440. So god knows what Witcher 3 is gonna be like maxed out!

6. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

looks like you need titan blacks!

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Lol, I would spend that money on GFX cards if they gave a guarantee they would be the top card for the next 2 years. But they won't be, so I'll stick with my cards for a little longer till I know more about what the market is going to do. :)

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I think in reality the card would last you far longer than two years.

I know loads of people who bought 5870s at launch. It was a fantastic card. It pretty much stayed current all the way up to BF3, where the 1gb of vram became a problem. Not because the card wasn't good nor fast enough but simply because it likes to use 1.4gb of vram on an AMD (ATI to be exact).

However, those who paid out a premium for 2gb models (Toxic etc) had no such issues and the card was more than good enough for ultra settings with all of the detail on max.

It wasn't really GPU power that BF3 made redundant it was cards with inadequate amounts of memory on them. My GTX 470 for example was more than good enough (I used to hit high 30s min) but the input lag I got between my hands and the screen on fast paced levels was atrocious. It literally stopped me playing the game as I could not complete the level I was on (the mall, protect the terrorist who is injured, quick fire sniper...).

IMO Titan will last bloody years and years. Game development really doesn't move very fast now. In fact, all of the more modern titles want more CPU cores, not so much GPU grunt.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I understand exactly where you're coming from, but when something new comes out, I have to upgrade regardless if my current system can max out every game at my native res. (It's my hobby, and I love spending my money on PC hardware).

The last thing I want to do, and have been caught out many times before, is to upgrade to a couple of £800 cards right now, only to find out that they're worth half the price in a couple of months when something else comes out.

Anyway GTX 780TI is the safest bet at the mo. So I'm very tempted to get a couple of them. :)

10. Dogbert666

Have you considered moving up to 4K? I'm not aware of many choices on the market, but the Dell ones certainly look tasty :D

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Yes I am tempted after PeteJ beat me too it! Lol - Although he has the Asus PQ321QE I don't like the fact it use 2 panels to make 4K. The Dell UltraSharp UP3214Q is looking very tasty! :D

12. Dogbert666

Haha. Yeah stay away from that monitor. We use the Sharp one (same screen different brand) and the menu on it is *so* bad. I think the guys at PC Pro reviewed it too and found it to be not so good for colour reproduction etc. Agreed though, that Dell screen looks phenomenal. Personally think I'd prefer a 28-inch model though!

13. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Getting two of these, anyone want two used Titans?

Additionally, an anemic PSU would never run these.

Enjoy the show, in 4k

Yours in 4k 60fps Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

Tags: Add Tags