1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Fibre Broadband

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr Happy, 17 Feb 2014.

1. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It's when they run a test and can't find a fault you worry lol

2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Had a call today from sky, they have said BT fixed the problem, however my upload is faster than my download so i disagree. UL 7.5 DL 9.1

On a side note ,i have noticed on speedtest the little triangle on the test screen used to be near where i lived (Newcastle), now the little triangle is close to Manchester, i am not sure if this means anything or not

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Quick update:

Openreach have been to my house, changed the master socket to a fancy new one, ran some tests and done some magic stuff, he said my line is capable of 80 mb! He spent an hour doing stuff and left happy, now my speeds are the same daytime roughly 20mb and when it come around 5pm it drops to 8mb

So where do i go from here, Openreach guy was happy but nothing has improved, i would be happy to be back to my regular and trusty 8mb normal broadband

Any thoughts, would sky be slowing me down for traffic at busy times??

Cheers guys

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

is your router plugged directly into the master socket in the house?

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yes mate plugged into master socket, i am on the 40mb package but i don't know why the speeds vary so much

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

goto to this website put in your phone number, and see what it says about your lines, it should give you an idea of clean and impacted speeds

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

have you tried taking off the front face to the master socket and plugging into the socket behind it (yes i know how crazy this sounds)

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Will check this out thanks

The BT guy replaced the full socket and tried it himself with his fancy gadgets, he said i should have no problems getting 40mb :worried:

9. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I got the sky 80/20 package and it was maxed out from the moment it was connected. Have you got any extensions wired into, or from, the master socket? this can cause issues. Also stating the obvious have you installed mircofilters on all connected devices?

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

yes all done by the book, i have nothing extra whatsoever, currently on 7mb, this is annoying, no sure i will have much of a case to complain and cancel my fibre will i?

I have had issues from the start

11. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

The only other thing is to try a different filter just in case. I think they sent me two in my pack.

12. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

with the fibre to cabinet you don't need separate filters, that's what the new fandangled socket does, it is a built in superior filter

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

The socket the BT guy fitted has a built in filter, it has one socket for the phone and one for Bband.

Really annoying, through the day i get around 19-21 mb, come 5pm i am on 8mb at the most

I will phone SKY again tomorrow and see what they say, i mean fibre is not really fibre if i could match the download speed from my previous broadband at 8mb, and i got that speed solid all day every day

14. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

to me it sounds like sky haven't got enough bandwidth to cover the surge in the evenings

15. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Yeah see that's where sky is a bit funny as they say the router can be plugged into any socket and I have mine in the second extension. I also do not have one of the new sockets as I did not have an engineer visit...... If I did have a new socket with a filter installed then the sky hub wouldn't work on the extensions which makes what I was told rubbish.....

I'd call sky again.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2014
  16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Total thanks for the help, i will ring SKY tomorrow and see what they say :rock:

17. narwen

narwen narwen

thirtyquidkid sounds like you have dsl not fibre.

18. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Just to clarify something, when you say "I'm on 8mb" are you talking about your routers connection speed in mbps or are you talking about the download rate in mb? A connection speed of 40mbps should give you a download speed of around 5MB

It does sound a bit like you are on dsl though assuming that you are talking about connection speed.

I live in the middle of nowhere so have no first hand experience of fibre,

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

19. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Yeah i am supposed to have a connection speed of 40mbps but never seen that yet, it occasionally gets to 19mbps, and the odd occasion it gets around 22 mbps but that never lasts

Ringing SKY later to see what they say

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Sky have known congestion issues on a evening. With bandwidth prioritised to there highest paying customers first then the packages below it.

Theres fixes due in most areas but they are not due till mid march onwards in most places.

Id ask them for a discount in the meanwhile.

on 80/20 package i get that during the day enough its still connected like that on a night the most ive seen it speedtest at is 40/20. Considering I got less than 2 on regular its not the worst thing in the world.