1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Shows BBC Top Gear

Discussion in 'General' started by samkiller42, 13 Dec 2010.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

The segment on the Porsche was shite

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

+1

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

it felt very contrived, didn't it

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

For anyone who wants a bit more background on Jeremy and Piers:

[​IMG]

5. SimonStern

SimonStern Registered Lurker

Thank you for that, enjoyable read.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Assuming you're on about rabid Porsche Fangirl Hammond's 'review' of the 918, I agree... Even if it is 'better' than the P1 given a choice between the 2 I'd pick the P1 every time...

7. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Cherry picking stats in the 918's favour as well.

Wondering if the P1 vs 918 didn't happen due to the lack of a dry warm track at this time of year?

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Have been a fan of the program for many years but I have noticed that as I tend to record the program these days to watch later that I am fast forwarding a great deal of the program. The program seems to struggle for ideas and the reviews on the super cars seem overly long and I feel the star in a reasonably priced car has come to the end of it's shelf life.

The bit about cycling in London and seeming murderous attitude of the capitals bus drivers to cyclists was something I felt should have had more attention, if not by Top gear but at least by the BBC in some other program

That said I look forward to the Burma special.

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Which is entirely untrue as well. I cycle ~100 miles a week through central london and bus drivers are almost as a rule the most aware and courteous drivers on the road

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I bow to your superior knowledge. Up here in in much smaller Edinburgh the bus drivers as a rule are not particularly courteous and I assumed that your London drivers were of a similar vein given the Top Gear piece.

11. RedFlames

Here [Gateshead/Newcastle] *some* bus drivers are bad... but generally it's the cyclists who are suicdal here... along with certain groups of pedestrians [only way of phrasing that without sounding racist] who randomly walk out into the road en masse regardless of whether there's stuff coming or not...

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Understandable - there's a zillion-trillion cyclists here and road traffic is more or less accustomed to them. Often times I can count upwards of 30 cyclists sitting with me in an ASL zone

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I didn't know that students qualified as a race.

14. RedFlames

Was referring to the swarms of jewish girls in certain areas of Gateshead... The try and walk through like you're not there [to most them, you're not there] and often walk out into the road en masse in front of buses, lorries, police cars... They don't care...

15. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

+1

"Porsche wouldn't give the car to Jeremy, only Richard"

Because he's the biggest ****ing fanboy there is. And these people have the audacity to call themselves 'journalists'. "I'm a BBC journalist". No you aren't. You're an entertainer. For the love of god someone get rid of him and put Chris Harris in there. Richard Hammond has seriously become tiresome.

16. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Don't really understand the fuss over the Porsche segment, was much the same to the P1 segment.
    Both Richard and Jeremy each gushing enthusiastically with their praise over their chosen car, which isn't surprising as the are setting it up for the showdown later in the year.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, they 'might' if both McLaren and Porsche allow them.

The segment had fantastic CGI, but I just think it was an opportunity lost to see the car really pushed. Rather than drive it from one end of the straight to the other. I think it would have been better to have both presenters test both cars tbh: "Oh I agree/disagree here that..."

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Not having seen the TG episode yet, but having seen Chris Harris in both cars:
    The Porsche is a technological marvel and faster than you'd think.
    However, the P1 is a completely different level of mad. I have not a single doubt in my mind that the P1 is WAY quicker than the 918. And I am one of those people that really wanted to write the P1 off as boring.

19. Tim S

Tim S OG

Regarding the P1... It's a whole new thing.

20. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Well that goes without saying, but it hasn't stopped them from bigging up the potential showdown.

No disagreement here it would be nice if they did.

I can't see it happening, certainty not between the P1 and 918, Hammond loving Porsche while Clarkson dislikes Porsche has been a running joke for god knows how long.