1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

A lot of places are the same, where I work our allowance is one working week. At the end of the day, if you aren't at work when you're supposed to be then you aren't fulfilling your contract, whatever the reason is.

Some people have legitimate health problems and so each case has to be treated on its own merits, however everyone has to be treated fairly and equally through the same process. There will always be people who try to take advantage of the system though and those are the people who will be given the boot out the door, not those who are genuinely ill.

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

A week I can understand but 3 days? A bit harsh but like you said, clowns will exploit it.

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

When I worked at Morrisons they attempted to give me a disciplinary for contracting Impetigo...

I worked on a fresh food section and that **** is highly contagious, I had a week off with a doctors note but they still tried to have my arse for it. I should have just worked it and touched EVERYTHING.

4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

There are people that have gone out on weekend benders, call in sick on the Monday then come back in on the Tuesday and are absolutely fine. I've had hardly any time off sick in my working life, apart from when I had 10 days off last year due stress of the job itself.

Generally if I can make it in I will, but have just felt these last few days that if I were to go in that speaking to the public on the phone I'd have lost my temper and lost my job anyway.

5. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

When I worked for Sainsburys they were absolute a###holes. If you had any time off for any reason that was a single absence, the warnings started at 3 regardless of the time taken off or the reason. It simply meant that if someone was going to be off for a day with something or other, then they took the week, it still counted as 1 sickness event and they could still self-certify.

6. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Yesterday afternoon I had an Abscess (blocked gland)removed from my right armpit. Doc said it was slightly bigger than a chicken egg :eek: Cause it formed so quickly, they sent it to a lab to check for cancer, but that I'll worry about later.

For now, I'm shifting every 6 hours between horrid pain and numb drowsiness and back again from the very strong pain killers: :eeek::yawn::rock::yawn::eeek: ,in that order :p

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

been there, rode that roller coaster, got the photo at the end. awesome stuff.

in other news ive just been belted with a £180 bill i wasnt expecting. looks like its off to fleabay.

8. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I don't think anyone will want to buy your bill on eBay...

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

[​IMG]

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

That's the face I was making when I typed it, and I always wear a captain's hat at my desk :clap:

longweight likes this.
  11. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

The job that I got an interview for a while back, and got turned down for, is still advertising, this is it's third trip around Reed.

I'm half tempted to reapply and see if they accept me this time, it was just because I sounded so damn uncertain at the Interview that I lost it the first time.

12. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

How come us men that work long shifts, don't get to do wtf we want when we finish our long boring shifts? Here's a list of things for you too do after you drop me to the bingo.

Despite having a finite number of hours to do wtf she wants, she always uses my none-existant time to do things. Ffffffffffffooooooooooooooo

13. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Dude thats women all over - not all are like this though.

14. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Tell her to get ****ed.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Every time I'm on an early start (up at 3:30/4am), I can never get to sleep until gone 1am. I've tried having on external sound and even going as far as taking the clock out my room so the ticking doesn't distract me. I've tried playing slow classical to see if I can switch off that way. Also tried putting a film on. Nothing, nothing helps, my brain just won't shut off.

So here I am, at 0038, with 3 hours until I have to be up for work. I get the feeling at this point it'll be easier to not sleep and keep myself awake with coffee tomorrow. MTBing afterwards should be a right laugh, being this tired.

16. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I'm almost the same, although I normally fall asleep within about 5 mins of turning out the light (much to my wife's annoyance), if I know I have to be up early then I am awake on and off all night and end up getting very little sleep. If I have to be up at my normal time then I sleep right through and 7 hours is easy. Happens every single time.

17. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I was supposed to do a two-day shoot with the Air Force last week, and they gave me very little notice. I couldn't get a train ticket in time, but I didn't mind. Gassed up my car, woke up at 5am and drove for 4 hours to the location. Then I shot non-stop for 14 hours, making some of the best photos I've ever done. For whatever reason, I was blazing with ideas and all the conditions were coming together perfectly. I even got some stunning night shots of fighter operations.

At 11.30pm, I called it a day and went back to the Operations Centre where, all of a sudden, my equipment was taken from me and I was informed that for "security reasons" they would screen my image before letting me have them. That alone was ridiculous as I've done shoots like this many times over the past few years. But apparently there are new people in the chain of command who are very rigid in their views, so I could do nothing. I gave my stuff to them and went to bed, very upset. The next day, which was supposed to have another 8 to 12 hour of shooting day before I drove home, was spent doing NOTHING as they had my equipment and were still screening the images.

The unhappy ending to all this was - I got my equipment back, along with only 56 (FIFTY SIX) of the 1000+ shots I had taken the previous day. The best of my shots were all gone, and of the 56, maybe forty were publishing-quality, but were not particularly special, just generic fighter shots.

I always thought my passion for aviation, especially military aviation, was unquenchable, but last Thursday the Indian Air Force came very close to destroying my love for what I do. I was and am so utterly demoralised. :(

The icing on the cake? The shoot was organised in part so that some pictures could be published in a book that the Air Force themselves commissioned from us! :wallbash:

18. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Classical will make it worse, it keeps your brain active, any melodic music will increase your thought focus.

I work full time nights, other than blackout blinds I have a small but loud desk fan on as I sleep, the him drowns out outside noise so toilet flush, next doors cockerels and dogs, primary school nearby don't wake me up.

Another thing to try if you don't mind risking the waist is eat something full of fat and carbs it will make you tired as your body digests.

A very risky one I sometimes use is a can of monster, drink it fast on a full stomach then straight to bed.

19. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

After cutting through 5 metres of ALU box section I realise I need a further 2.5meters even though fr some reason when I did the original calcs it said 3 metres, I bought 5 to avoid this ****!.

So now got to buy another lot (going 5 again, ain't risking this **** again), and shell out another postage fee that is more than the mats themselves by far.

On the plus side, finally tested my new ryobi jigsaw! Works wonders on ALU box, nice and straight :)

20. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Fack, I'm not a very social person and I've been put in charge of promotions so basically visiting other businesses and handing out promotions and stuff

arggggggggggggg