1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress MegaDeblow - Desk Build **COMPLETE**

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deblow, 30 Jan 2014.

1. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

lol Thanks
    I do like to make a joke of my wife now and then, but its all 100% true
    and in reality its much worse lol

Shes of on holiday with my daughter in 3 weeks, without me :(
    That's why i have so much time on my hands atm, because im a mostly house bound with my leg problems :(

Yes iv seen your Monster :dremel: build, Very tidy work indeed :thumb:
    This project has shown me what could be done with the correct tools, ideas and most importantly THE FORUMS :clap:

Until i was about %50 done with my build, i didn't even know there were forum threads like this on the net, or how BIG the community is :jawdrop:

i cant wait till im done so i can spend more time reading and a bit less uploading and typing lol

P.S I think that's the most Smiles iv ever used lol

Rob

2. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

That's class A holiday then, no wife, no kids (just kidding of course) :hehe:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't know you have health issues with your legs. Hopefully it's something that will heal or at least something you can live with.

I've also collected a plethora of issues along the years, back problems, sleep apnea and most recently a worsening asthma...not fun.

What comes to the forums, I've been privileged to have found this community at an early stage. I joined in 2004 and lurked a good few years before that. I must also say that this place has changed quite a lot during that time.

People have come and gone, projects and tools have evolved from quite simple to really complex and at that time people could only dream about CNC-machines, 3D-printers and laser cutters. Maybe I've also gotten old and don't remember the "old days" too well anymore, but I feel that the community has become much more quiet over the years. What I mean by that is the ratio between comments and views on a given thread isn't the same it used to be. Don't get me wrong, of course there were much more views than comments even then, but there's a difference still.

Keep up the good work with the desk. Can't wait to see it come to life :)

Darkened

3. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Broke my leg in a motorbike crash so im on crutches atm :(
    I'd love a 3D printer & laser cutter for my birthday but that won't happen anytime soon lol
    Would be amazing tools to have, you could make just about anything you could dream of

I ordered some perspex but not really used it much in this build, could do with more practice before i attempt to do anything more

4. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Ouch, should have guessed from your avatar though... Hopefully there's no permanent damage and you'll make a full recovery.

I'm willing to bet that fancy tools are pretty much everyone's wishlist and not only for Christmas either :hehe:

With acrylic, there's one tool above all others. A router, preferably a table router. Next most useful (at least for me) is a bandsaw. My router and bandsaw are far from professional grade, but they still make working with acrylic much easier than with say jigsaw and a sanding block :thumb:

Darkened

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Almost forgot, you got my vote for the MOTM.

Not because you voted for me (thank you kindly), but because I appreciate the design and craftsmanship you've shown with this mod. It's also closest to the style I like from all of the contestants.

Darkened

6. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Thanks, hopefully it will heal this year,
    been almost 2 years now.

I'm in need of some new tools badly, this build has killed my dermal :dremel: and a glue gun.

And thanks for the vote :thumb:

I best crack on with some more pictures now :lol:

here's the pullout I've made, used the runners from my old ikea draws, and covered the wood with some fake leaver (Flux)

Made a curve in the back so theirs room for wires to drop down the back if needed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the cup is misleading, it was a nice pot of tea :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Zondorf

Zondorf What's a Dremel?

8. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

You're from UK, there was no doubt in my mind it was tea ;)

Nice going with the keyboard pull-out!

And for what it's worth, I'd suggest the Dremel hot glue gun. I have the 910, which is a high temp (165C) model and it has restored my faith in hot glue. Before hot glue was a joke to me and a temporary adhesive at best. Got "burned" when I tried to use the new glue gun like the old one. Things that were supposed to come apart didn't :rolleyes:

Darkened

9. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Thanks, the pullout is sticking a bit so i will need shave of about 2mm,
    i was using a loctite gun, the trigger has broken im not sure how hot it was getting but it was doing a good job when it worked.

going to ask my wife to take me to the DIY shop on Friday :)

I Love my tea so much i converted a DVD drive to hold my cup, so as not to spill on or mark my desk
    most the internals have been removed, i think i uploaded a picture a while back but didn't upload the cup holder in action,

So here's the pic, my friends have a good laugh at me when i press the button and pop my tea on lol

[​IMG]

Bottom bay holds my main SSD, next is the DVD/drink holder, then a BR-Drive and at the top is the 6 channel fan controller for the RAD fans only.

10. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

A quick update,
    making a small block to house 2 switches, one will control the LEDs for the lower shelf's and the second will control the LEDs on glass shelf above the desk top.

i will be placing it under the desk more than likely just below where the mouse mat sits

made from my trusty Ikea wood :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clips i will be using
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. CBud

CBud What's a Dremel?

looking good so far, loving the black and green colouring the speed and quality is amazing especially since its a first build

12. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Happy days :D

Was treated to not just a new multi-tool, but also a 5 volt cordless screwdriver :D

should help speed things along nicely

[​IMG]

13. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

This is the prototype for the wire cover, will see how it looks when I've remade it a bit more solid and covered with whats left of the carbon :)
    For now its doing the job, just clips on and off very easy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also decided to cover my glass shelf with carbon because it was a bit too bright even with LEDs on lowest setting, i will upload some pics later tonight

14. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Due to bad weather and a wet shed iv had to put the cover on hold, I've started on some other bits that that i can safely do in the kitchen :)

My first attempt with perspex and a multi tool, small black EK logo bridge
    not sure if this will be the final one but so far im happy with it

Artwork done on the PC, then printed some different sizes to see what looked best

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

still needs a bit more trimming, the inside is UV green

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

forgot to mention, i decided to move the matrix LEDs to the top as they was effecting the UV lighting

16. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Not sure how i didn't see you post sooner, but thanks :)

17. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Switches for top & bottom shelf LED's now in place, not the best but will do the job for now

[​IMG]

Top shelf in place (day)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Night

[​IMG]

Can be changed to any RGB color along with the RES and bottom shelf's

[​IMG]

18. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Wrap now fitted to the glass shelf, no room for error here as the wrap sticks to glass really fast and its very hard to remove without heat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Side cover now remade, snaps on to cover the MB cables

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

EK bridge cover now chrome & black nickle wrapped, think it looks better now as it can be seen in daylight and at night under UV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]