1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Best 35mm SLR <$400?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr. Roboto, 13 Jun 2003.

1. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

kind of unexpected for a technology forum, but I'm going to be buying a 35mm SLR in the next couple weeks, and I need you photography guys to help me out...

I want to spend less than $400 on the camera and the included lense, so let's keep it somewhat budget.

Right now, I'm looking at the Canon EOS Rebel Ti, the newest from Canon, and at $369 at Ritz Camera, it's a deal (I've found it lower on Ebay.com with a lot of extras).

I need your opinion on the camera, or cameras that match/surpass the quality for <$400.

thanks.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2003
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

best 35mm SLR i dont think would be an appropriate title for the thread if the budget is $400

canon EOS-1v here, and its a very nice camera, i have generally been very happy with canon and olympus cameras in the past

3. 6262

6262 What's a Dremel?

have u thought of digital. you could pick up a Sony DSC F717 second hand for that price. The top of the line sony digital camera. We have some at college and they are very very good.

4. penski

penski BodMod

No. He said he wanted SLR ;)

Besides...

SLR > Digital.

*n

5. 6262

6262 What's a Dremel?

well.. it was only an idea.

6. Sid

Sid Banned

Urm, you can't compare a digital camera to an SLR. You can get digital SLRs you know, just a thought.

7. penski

penski BodMod

Didn't mean to come across that scathing.

*n

(Mental note: reign in the cynical mother****er thing 'til people understand)

8. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

well..see..I'm looking for a film camera because I've already gotten really good into digital and I want to expand my horizons...plus I'm taking a course in a couple months and I want to be ready for the class and already have some use before hand..

I'll end up getting the Minolta Maxxum 5, actually..its cheaper and better.

9. Time

Time What's a Dremel?

I'm not too sure about prices over there in the states, also, I'm not sure, but I think that the Canon EOS series are pretty much fully automatic - if you want a really nice SLR, I'd almost always go for manual..
    Try looking for a Pentax K1000 (aprox 5-600 UK), and Olympus OM Series (OM's one and four being my personal favorites) (OM One about 6-700ish UK), or if you really want to push the boat out, a Nikon F series, you should be able to pick up a decent FM 2 for somewhere in the 8-900 (UK) range.. I was lucky, I bought my FM1 including a 35-50 lense for a mere 500 squid in mint condition.

Having said all this, my prices are probably slightly out of date, so expect things to have gone up a tad.

10. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

/me nods understandingly...i have to do that too....

should have gotten a canon...o well, but i guess im too late to throw my 2p in...

11. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

its not too late, I haven't ordered yet.

12. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

got my Minolta Maxxum 5 in today. Cost me $370 w/shipping with 2 Sigma Lenses, a 24-70mm and a 70-300mm lense. Pretty decent.

I shot a roll of experimental film today, will get it developed tomorrow (I don't know how/have the resources for home developing) and will get a picture CD and will upload the test shots to show the lot of ya.

13. Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto xBurningMikex

well I finally got my first couple rolls of film developed.

here's 2 from messing around with settings on the first roll, just cropped the first one, and the other is stock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]