1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Why does Windows 7 run hot ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wufer, 4 Mar 2014.

1. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

Can someone tell me why this happens?.

I have 2 PC.s. Both the same.

M/B..Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
    CPU..AMD FX 6300
    Ram..4gb Crucial Ballistix
    HDD..WD Blue 500
    I have two HHD's
    One HDD has Windows XP. One has Windows 7

When i put the HD with Windows XP into both my PC's, and use Speedfan, the temps are fine
    The HDD is about 28c-30c
    The CPU is about 34c-36c
    All the fans are running fine
    This is in both PC's

But.
    If i put the HDD with Windows 7 in both PC's, its a different story.
    The HDD is about 30c-34c
    The CPU is about 48c-55c. (The little red flame has been on a few times at 55c:jawdrop:
    The fans are running fine.
    This is in both PC's

So, why is Windows 7 running hot.?
    Both PC's seem up to the job, but................

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Well to start with I'd try some other temp monitoring software as my personal experience with speedfan is that it wasn't very accurate at all, may have changed now as I haven't used it for a while but I'd still try something else just to rule it out.

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Is the CPU load identical on both? In Win7 still indexing the drive? Are the power settings identical? Do you have the right MB drivers on both systems? IE is the CPU being throttled back in low performance on one?

How do the temps (Using 3 different monitoring methods) look when under full load?

I say one of the following is true:

1) either the OS / Software / Drivers / Settings is running a different energy / performance profile and might just be a difference between 7/xp

2) you've got a configuration difference between the two

3) speedfan is reporting incorrectly, or the best it can given the differences between the OS versions.

4) You just can't accurate readings from your configuration. I found someone who's getting temperatures lower than the ambient room temperature (Which is all but impossible on air) http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1730629/healthy-cpu-temperature-amd-6300-ghz-core.html

4. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

5. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

6. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

cpu showing max of 48 C, haven't got the spec's of the FX-6300 but i'd expect a CPU to work @ 60 C showing from it's internal thermistor with a solid overclock.

TMPIN2 showing max of 60 C, i'd hazard a guess that TMPIN2 is near the power mosfets round the CPU, still acceptable to me.

windows 7 could be chugging down a bit more juice for Aero desktop, indexing and caching.
    Nothing to worry about

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Other than what others have suggested, like making sure both OS's are running the same driver versions you could also try temporarily disabling the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service, it's responsible for the Aero effects and can use anything from 10-30% extra resources.
    Either way your temps look fine to me so i wouldn't be to worried, unless it was just one of those things that i wanted to answer out of curiosity.

8. wufer

wufer What's a Dremel?

Yes i think the temps shown are not very accurate.:rolleyes:
    I'll take your advice and not worry about it.