1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble controlling 3 pin fans

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by Parge, 5 Mar 2014.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hi there Asus!

I own a Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe. I'm trying to run two 3 pin fans using a Phobya 3 pin splitter from the CPU header (for an H80).

However, the fans run at MAX speed constantly. I've tried changing their profiles in the BIOS, setting one manually and installing fan xpert to try and change them, and no dice, they still run at 100% speed all the time. As you can imagine, this is pretty annoying. Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Parge

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Hey Parge, have a nose here. I know its not the same board but the 3 pin issue may carry over to yours.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's got to be really annoying - save for a fan controller, I'd love to know if there is a sensible solution!

4. Parge

Think that may be the same issue. So the only solution appears to be to invest in some PWM fans. Bit silly Asus, bit silly.

EDIT: Or If the Chassis fan header does control 3pins I could wire my 4 Pin PWM chassis fan to the CPU header and vice versa...... will this work Asus?

5. Parge

Without being rude, its not great business to open an outlet for support - and then not log on for 3 days.

6. ASUS|Mr_Orange

ASUS|Mr_Orange What's a Dremel?

Hi Parge,

PWM fans would work fine from the CPU FAN header, 3 pins should do also iirc - what BIOS are you running?

I know for Z87 we exclusively introduced PWM function to 3 pin chassis headers to save customers money on PWM fans.

7. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Could you please elaborate on PWM function on 3pin fan headers?

My understanding is PWM from motherboard sends a PWM signal to PWM fan PCB that than pulses 12v power to fan... which is what the 4th pin on the header does.

Is the Z87 pulsing 12v from motherboard on the 3 pin header.

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Parge, I ha e the same issue on my v gene. All other fan header work fine with 3 pin except the cpu, which runs at 100%. Very very annoying and loud. I'm currently mulling over a 25 odd quid spend on a pair of corsair sp fans or 30+ on a fan controller that will fit the fractal case, ie Knobless.

I would love to see a Bios fix for it, after almost 2 years I'm starting to get a bit hacked off.

In answer to your other question, you could control the fans from other headers, if you have spares, but then you get the messages about no cpu fan popping up.

Dear Asus, if you read this and happen to want to release a Bios fix for my v gene, I would e very grateful, if you can't do that can you please send me a very noisy graphics card that could drown out the cpu fans. A 780ti should suffice. (don't ask don't get and all that.)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

9. doyll

doyll Minimodder

10. ASUS|Mr_Orange

ASUS|Mr_Orange What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

I'll feed this back to our RD guys back in HQ, see if we can come up with a solution via BIOS update.

11. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Thanks!

Please update us with their progress.

ASUS has a history of motherboards that do not support PWM as their specifications say they should.. and I know of a couple of owners who last I knew had gotten no help for CS in resolving the issues. I have owned ASUS in the past but not now. Not until these kind of problems and lack of customer support are resolved.

Hopefully you can get ASUS back to the support and standards they once had.

12. suragh

suragh Derp

I don't mean to hi-jack this thread in any way..

This is good news, Orange. I have been scouring the web for a solution for months, for my current board. It has been hell dealing with the 3 pin fans being on constant 100% speed.

Would there potentially be a BIOS update for a similar board with the same issue? ASUS Maximus VI Gene (or the Gene series in whole)

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Have you tried the Fan Xpert software with calibration?

14. suragh

suragh Derp

I am not familiar with this, is it something easy to use? :lol:

EDIT: Are you talking about the ASUS software that came with the board? If so, I have and it hasn't helped me.

15. Parge

I've just updated to the latest BIOS version (1103 as far as I remember) from 0902.

Will test later to see if that changes anything, and feed back my results.

Thanks for continued communication Bindi and Orange, its just annoying because obviously this is a premium board, with a premium price tag.

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Have you tried just running the 3 Pin fans from the chassis fan connectors and using a software solution to control them? You can then just disable the CPU fan error messages etc in the BIOS (been using that method for a while, works fine). Hopefully that'll work fine or I'll be faced with exactly the same problem pretty soon as I won't be using a fan controller nor PWM fans.

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Maki it does work in theory, unless you have all the fan headers populated (like I do) then all you do is to move the problem.

Besides which on an expensive motherboard it should just work anyway.

Kudos to the Asus guys for at least looking at the problem for us.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. Parge

Update on this: After updating to the latest BIOS I can confirm that........

The problem remains. The Chassis headers just run the fans at 100% constantly.

Fan Xpert does nothing, neither does BIOS adjustments.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

IIRC I had this issue and while it wasn't clear - it was extremely simple to solve after about an hour of faffing and trying everything!

You need to take the CPU fan control in the BIOS off auto, and put it onto "Advanced mode" (I concur any other setting does nothing). Then log into Windows, use the Asus Fan Xpert software (the latest version from the most recent AI suite you can find) to configure the fan (or whatever it's called to let it find its lowest and highest rpm, voltage requirements etc). After this, you can set the fan(s) to any fixed rpm value or temperature curve in the software... and this is written back to the BIOS (it seems) because you can then uninstall the fan software and it will retain the settings/config until you touch the BIOS fan controls again.... and you can have your peace and quiet! (Oddly, you can specify in the software values that are not even possible in the BIOS, so you may as well fiddle with all fans while you have the software installed)

Hope this helps

TSB

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's point and click the pictures! and yes it's part of AI Suite III.