1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Noisy fans

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TobletDanillio, 8 Mar 2014.

1. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

I have just finish my NAS and very happy with it so far other than the two fans that are doing my head in. I'm using the stock fans in the lian li pc-q25 (1 12cm and 1 14cm). They are keeping my Atom d525 fanless around 32c when idle and about 60 ish under heavy loads.
    The case is in the living room (flat only place to put it) so I would like something a bit quieter.

So what fans would you guys recommend?

Also are there any websites that review fans that are up-to-date? I did look at link but out of date by 2 years now.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

If you want cheap & quiet you can't go wrong with Yate Loon D12SL-12 at £5 each, and they do a 140mm version too.

Rule of thumb: the quietest fans are in the 1000rpm range.

Regarding "up-to-date" fans, technology hasn't changed at all in the last few years. Fans are more gimmicky now and have supposedly superior bearings and sound attenuating features etc, but a lot of it is marketing pish-tosh (with the exception of Noctua who actually do make stunning fans). Good fans 5 years ago are still good fans.

3. TobletDanillio

Ok thanks I will have a look at that.
    Only asked for an up-to-date website is due to I keep looking at fans and they are discontinued.

also what do you think of the make Noctua?

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Noctua fans are great but VERY expensive, and I haven't bought one for that reason. £20 for a 120mm fan that hardly moves any air? Not for me. I have several "loud" fans which I run at low speed and they are whisper quiet.

5. TobletDanillio

I got a 8 or 9 cm one with a case I got on ebay and its the best/quietest sounding fan I have ever heard. so that's why i ask. and yes but with a 6 year warranty that's not a bad price if they are good at cooling too

Noctua NF-S12A ULN £17.50

NF-A14 ULN £19.25

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Xilence Redwing. Great price, great fans. Very solid and well made.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

+1 for the Xilence Redwing, I have 6 of them :D

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Phanteks fans are particularly impressive. Quiet, powerful, well-made.

9. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yeah I've got a few in my beast rig. Two 120mm (one on the bottom lifting air in, one on the back exhaust) an 80mm hovering over my northrbridge and a 92mm hovering over my ram.

And they've not missed a beat, even have braided cables !

10. TobletDanillio

do you have an reviews of the red wind?

Phanteks are reviewed very good and also have 5 year warranty which is nice too.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

There's not much on the Redwings unfortunately, probably because they're pretty basic and blong-less low noise fans... I bought mine in 2009 and it was a case of buying two, loving them, and buying four more for my case.

12. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I have Enermax UCTB12 fans in my case at the moment and so far they're very good (I've only had them for around four months or so but the PC's running pretty much all day every day). They're pretty cheap, I paid around a fiver each as I recall, and for that price the quality is very good. They claim a noise level of 11dB, I'm not sure how accurate that is, or what the test conditions were, but I can attest to them being very quiet. The downside is the rated airflow is not very high, just 42CFM at 12V (900rpm). I used them to replace some old Cooler Master SickleFlow fans because they were making my PC sound like it was trying to take off! With the Enermax fans installed I saw a rise of a few degrees at idle but not much change to temps under load.

If money's not an issue I'd say maybe look at some PWM fans from be quiet! - the SilentWings fan on my Dark Rock Advanced is brilliant :thumb:

13. TobletDanillio

Ok thats ar pain

I will have a look at the Enermax UCTB12 later. I have a Cooler Master SickleFlow in my wifes pc and have to agree with you I will be replacing that too at some point or just the whole case.
    I do like be quite and my dark rock pro is very quite can't hear them over my other fans but reading review they are quite but not that great at cooling and not cheap. :(

I'm currently looking at Phanteks PH-F140TS they are review great and can get this one for only £13.73.

They will be on 24/7 so the 5 year warranty is something i'm willing to pay more for

14. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have 3 of these and they are silent and move a lot of air. Make sure they fit however as the fitting is in the middle of the fan not on the edges, if you understand what I mean by looking at the pictures.

15. TobletDanillio

I'm really liking the Phanteks PH-F140TS but they have 12cm holes fittings but may case needs one 12cm and the other 14cm. Can you buy a bracket or something? I have seen this but its pushes the fan to far back and it wont fit.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Phanteks PH-140 series have 14cm hole fittings.

17. TobletDanillio

The Reviews say they are 14cm fans with 12cm mounting holes

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

PH-140SP and PH-140XP have 140mm mounting holes; PH-140HP and PH-140TS have 120mm mounting holes. :thumb:

19. TobletDanillio

Ok thanks. Are the same just different mounting holes?