1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Dual Socket Build - Power supply indecisions!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kamikaze-X, 18 Feb 2014.

1. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

So i'm building a dual socket lga 771 machine.

I'm going to be using a supermicro X7DAE motherboard, which requires a PSU with an 8 pin CPU and a 4 pin CPU connector, and is SSI compliant (?).

I know they're out there (I have one powering my daily machine, but sadly out of production, so its out of the question) but most are exorbitantly expensive (I have spent less than £100 on cpu/mobo/ram as it is) and I've seen an EVGA one that has 2x 8Pin but has a lot of reviews of arriving DOA or just general incompatibility.

Will I be ok to get a PSU that has the 8 Pin CPU, and then use a molex to 4 Pin CPU adapter for the 4 pin? if so, that will make it much easier for me.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have an old Corsair HX520W with both P8 and P4 CPU connectors. I do not know if you can use both at the same time. I can check on the manual tonight. The PSU by itselfs has been rock solid since 2008.

[​IMG]

I'm looking at a similar setup, but using an X7DWT motherboard, which uses a single (proprietary) 12V only 20 pins connector.

Kamikaze-X likes this.
  3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I think theoretically you can modify (make custom cable) a GPU 6/8 pin to use as the additional 4 pin if the psu does not have it. I really don't see any reason that won't work if wired correctly into the proper connector. It's only 12v and ground so should be easy, especially to make scratch cable for a modular psu.
    Same functional result as using a molex to 4pin adapter, but much cleaner.

4. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

The Silver Power PSU I just bought (600w dual 22a) has both. I can't see any reason why you can't use both. All 12v wires usually go back to either one or several places and the grounds all go to the same place. What I mean is - basically there is power running up all of the cables.

Now whether you could overload a rail? that's another thing.

What sort of power requirement do SuperMicro put on the spec?

Kamikaze-X likes this.
  5. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

It sounds ideal, websites and manual just say minimum 500W.

Where did you get the silver power?

6. AlienwareAndy

7. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

so, for an update on this, I bought the Silver Power, and all was going well and had been working for about a week, until I turned the PC on the other day and BANG, the power supply died. never had anything like that happen.

contacted the seller, and they dont have any more, so gave me a refund, but now I'm stuck looking for a power supply again.

I found an OCZ Modxstream 600W that has the two connectors I need, but I'd like some input if there is anything else out there?

8. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

9. AlienwareAndy

Ugh sorry mate I was going to dig this thread up and pm you.. Exactly the same happened to my PSU I bought.

I phoned the number on the box but it seems Silverpower are no more. They must have gone down with Tagan tbh..

Like you though I did get an immediate refund and pilfered the PSU for its parts..

I wouldn't use an OCZ in a rig like the one you're building.

MrBungle...

The Silverpower wasn't a cheap PSU. It was over £80 when released. It also tests back as 80+ silver, and, has more power on tap than a Corsair 600w supply.

It must have just been a faulty batch tbh, as reviews of it were actually very good.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Could also be old stock as it was released years ago having had a google, reviews are from 2007?

Can also only pull about 400w from its 12v rails wich tells you its a pretty old design.

11. AlienwareAndy

PSUs haven't changed very much mate. They really haven't. The biggest thing to happen to them has been 80+ and running cool. My old Newton 750 watters used to run warm to hot all the time.

This must have been a bad batch...

12. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

ah wow, that sucks! Luckily, it hasn't taken anything with it (I took the back panel off my daily PC and connected it up to that like some sort of conjoined twin) and it all runs fine still.

The OCZ stuff were rebranded PC Power and Cooling units weren't they?

If I could find another of my power supplies in my main build, cooler master m850 real power pro, I would just grab another of them, but I can't find them anywhere.

13. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

actually, thinking about it, the lead they had with it, when I checked the fuse, had been a 13 amp fuse.... I guess there is the problem with it. Too much amperage.

14. AlienwareAndy

Be careful man !!

Mine blew the fuse in the lead. I replaced the lead, blew it again.. So I have a professional power breaker wired to a really heavy gauge kettle lead (I always use this on my main rig) and plugged that in..

The PSU literally blew up dude. Big blue spark out of the back and the circuit breaker tripped.

When I took the PSU apart to strip it the fuse had actually exploded. Not broken the fuse wire, but the glass had literally blown up and there were tiny shards of it everywhere..

Can I ask a favour? if you decide to bin it or strip it can I have the fan out of it? I could really use it :)

15. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

Yep, same with mine, big bang, blue flash, loads of bits of something which i'm assuming is a capacitor from the inside of the power supply.

Definitely being binned, if I get the time I'll try and strip the fan out for you!

16. AlienwareAndy

Thanks I appreciate that !

It's probably the fuse that exploded. TBH I'm beginning to think it was the power switch on the back as I was using mine a lot when testing hardware. My switch literally welded itself stuck lol.

17. Kamikaze-X

Kamikaze-X Minimodder

sounds like mine too, I was using the power switch on the back.