1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Ah, thanks!

Nice to know I'm not going crazy yet! Seems to mostly happen with my GW Panther, so it seems to be somewhat vehicle specific.

What's your global win ratio? You may be up against that magic "never exceed" win rate.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

apparently you can mitigate the problem by leaving sniper view and moving your vehicle a little left, then a little right ( so the server re-acquires your aim by screwing your aim up ) seems like most things they are not sure what is causing the problem, a few tin foil hat brigade feels its another case of WG pandering to the hate arty crowd, or that most of the recent issues are so 9.0 actually has something decent in it ( even if that is just fixing all the problems )

3. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

My win rate is swinging wildly also, but I assumed it was because of 2 factors:

1) I just jumped up to tier 8 so my tanks aren't all fully equipped AND I don't completely know their capabilities nor how they interact with common foes yet.

2) Tier 8 is affected by the removal of the tier 12 battle tier.

4. Cthippo

Mine has been depressingly stable of late, though the trend line is upwards it's a VERY shallow slope!

I feel like I might be getting close to getting better though. I'm doing consistently better, especially in my heavies, which was my weakest class. The hours spent watching Jingles and QB videos are finally starting to result in better game play. Perhaps some day I'll finally reach that magical 50% mark.

5. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I've always performed with absolutely no consistency at all. In a day I can swing from a 70% win morning (>10 battles) to a 30% win afternoon. TDs started out as my strongest tank but now they're horrid. I simply cannot function without a turret anymore (at least not with the french). Basically I either support the line and die due to my weakspots or I wait for my team to die then snipe a couple tanks before dying myself. In the rare case where my team wins I usually either died early or I barely fired 1 or 2 shots due to my inability to position my gun without exposing myself.

This I mostly blame ineffective scouting at the higher tiers which forces me to play a tank that's stronger as a sniper as a pseudo flanker/support tank.

On the other hand all my turreted tanks are slowly getting better. My Tiger 2 has an especially strong carry factor and has pulled my team out of the clutches of defeat more than once. My panther 2 is not doing as well due mostly to the lack of armor. Both tanks right now use the same gun, but the Tiger 2 is much more effective because it can put that gun where it needs to be without dying.

6. Risky

Risky Modder

The tin-foil talk of WR thresholds is nonsense. I could increase my WR by playing in tanks that I win more often in. If it was rigged to keep me where I am then I wouldn't be able to consistently get 66-70% in the T40 and close on other tanks. Overall I get better WRs on tanks that I play well than in tanks that I lack confidence with.

The talk of thresholds and rigging just distracts you and is likely to make you play worse. I know that as when I worried about how well I'd done over the session after each battle it causes you to make poor judgements in games. Just concentrate on thinking over your play after every game and thinking where you could have done something different and got a better result. Ignore the teams and the MM and concentrate on the bit you can change.

I keep trying to improve my play, but I can't see myself reaching the level of the some of the guys I have seen, but that's not really the issue, I'm just working on trying to win the next battle somehow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

So to sum up you play good tanks, fully equipped with good crews and your win rate goes up. You play bad tanks with bad crews and no equipment and it goes down.
    Its not exactly rocket science:rolleyes:
    My win rate has levelled of but my wn7 and wn8 is on the up.

I don't think a 19% average win chance is possible unless you are platooning with plankton. also you are coming of the T32 probably one of the best tier 8 to the M103 not so good and a tier higher.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Mar 2014
  8. Cthippo

No, skill plays a huge part. Look at all the Lowe* drivers out there. A good player in a M3 Lee will decimate any tier 6 tank. Obviously, 100% crews on fully upgraded tanks helps, but that will only get you so far.

I'm definitely becoming a better player, but it's a slow process. Still trying to get a grip on heavy tank tactics, especially using vertical cover. It's frustrating because most of mt heavies use the crappy 122mm gun which bounces a LOT, so I have to work harder for damage than I would with a higher penetration gun. In one game last night I was 1 on 1 in my IS with the 100mm D10T gun against a Super Pershing and I hit him with 7 out of 7 shots, but got 1 penetration.

* I know it's German and therefore exempt from making sense, but how the hell do you get the pronunciation of "Lurver" from the letters L-O-W-E? :confused:

9. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

http://www.noobmeter.com/player/na/Cthippo/1004291318/
    well their performance rating says you are not really.
    you need to know where to shoot the springs on the top of the turret are weak points.

10. Cthippo

Depends on what stat you're looking at.

WN8 - going up
    Average damage - going up
    Average experience per game - going up
    Win rate - going up very very slowly
    Noobmeter's proprietary rating - going down

The stats that I pay the most attention to are win rate and damage ratio, both of which are improving. What's odd is that those are the two stats that go into the noobmeter formula and they are both going up, but my MN rating is going down.

Subjectively, I feel like I'm getting better at using cover and concealment and at angling my armor, all of which are hopefully reflected in the improving damage ratio.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2014
  11. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

If you really want to pad your damage ratio, get yourself an S35 CA and learn to use it. Even in a terrible game in that thing I can get a 300% damage ratio. A good game gets me 800%. That's mostly because the tank only has 330 hp (so max hp lost/battle = 330). With the stock gun, that's 2-3 shots till you're 100% and everything else is gravy. The stock gun also has the best (I think) pen in tier 5 so you can even pen tier 7 heavies if they're angled incorrectly. It also fires very quickly so the 9 shots you need to get 300% come out in less than a minute. Really, any TD should get you a good damage ratio because of their low HP and high damage guns. If heavies could do 100% of their HP in 3 damaging shots they'd have a good damage ratio too.

Heavy tanks are also damage sponges with massive HP pools (and thus massive potential for amount of damage taken). What you're really hoping for with HT's is a damage ratio at 1.0 or higher. That means you were a good sponge and actually did something to help your team other than eat shots. It depends on your heavy, but you'll find it hard to pad damage ratio with one. Maybe the best one to pad with would be one of the later french heavies.

Light and MT vary for damage ratio. I have no idea for arty, but I assume since you're usually not in the line of fire you should have a fairly good ratio with those too.

Pronounce the w like a V or like the first part of 'VEry'. Oddly enough the Hawaiian language says to pronounce a w the same way so Hawaii is actually pronounced something like ha-va-ii. Nobody does that though unless they're speaking Hawaiian :p.

12. Cthippo

I'm finding doing 1400 hp of damage in the KV-3 to be exceptionally difficult, but I did actually do it once today. It wouldn't be so bad if the gun didn't bounce so many shots :(

Arty is a great damage generator. I run a damage ratio of 3-4 in most of my SPGs, whereas I don't think any of my regular tanks quite break even. My Matilda and T-34 are over 0.9 and the rest are in the 0.4 to 0.6 range, except for the scout which is about 0.1.

OK, so then it would be pronounced like "love" or possibly "Lovey", where the hell does "Lurver" come from? Damn Germans :wallbash:

Today was one of those days where my win rate dropped like a rock despite the fact that I was playing pretty well. Started at 49.39, dropped to 49.30, and then climbed back to 49.34. At one point I had lost 10 of the previous 11 games. Damage ratio was 1.3 so I wasn't totally failing. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

Now that I'm starting to get it figured out, I think I really like the Matilda. That 50 DPS gun is pretty useless in tier 6 battles, but at tiers 4 and 5 it's a good seal clubber :D

13. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

One of my clan mate shared these tutorials/guides in our clan forum, i am re-sharing it here for you as i find these are excellent !!

Advanced hull down techniques: http://youtu.be/GVOKGfV-aEM
    Brawling: http://youtu.be/d88QM_qA9Fk
    Vision Control: http://youtu.be/wPCq0EoNcYM
    Sidescraping (in Tiger H): http://youtu.be/jvswv4Iu2uA
    Shut up about your team, carry them to victory: http://youtu.be/2Ju5guWeioc
    Making the best of bad decisions: http://youtu.be/wj1d6CWmFjw
    Scouting makes a difference: http://youtu.be/aXGUZGzGTN8
    Being in the Right place at the right time: http://youtu.be/CRJJyOKErMg

14. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Any EU clans recruiting?

I'd actually like to join one for some team battles (currently all I'm doing is solo queue Battles.
    Also wouldn't mind having consistant people to practice with (couple games last night where I was the sole tank to defend an entire side of the map) (Didn't do too badly in the KV-1 where I managed to kill 2 tanks that actually came that way, flanked behind and killed 2/3 arties only to be tracked by the last arty and shot from all angles till dead with no firing arc for retaliation)

Currently my highest tier tanks are the KV-1 and the friendly giant, the TOG II.

-----------

Have to say that so far my favourite tanks have to be the BT-2 & 7 as well as the Cruiser 3&4.
    Loved watching Jingles vids on the TOG, but it was an instant love the 1st time I played it. Only gripe is that it is so damn slow.

15. brooksy

brooksy What's a Dremel?

The best place to look is the world of tanks recruitment forum. Just an idea but we could set up a bit-tech channel for platooning etc.

16. Risky

Risky Modder

There is a very active channel for users of the WoT forums http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/263681-idea-forum-warriors-in-game-channel/

I do log in sometimes, but got pulled into a clan that is mostly drawn form the forum mubers so I don't take so many toons from there now.

What is good is there are a number of guys that will platoon with othere irrespective of their ability provided they are capable of learning and not raging paranoids!

17. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Thanks Obai. Those videos were useful. What I really want to see more of are articles like these:

http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/getting-better-internet-tanks-cuddly-complex-enduring-way/
    http://rocketbrainsurgeon.com/getting-better-world-tanks-brutal-simple-timely-way/

There really is no lack of good mechanics videos that teach you how to use your tanks to the best of their ability, but there isn't much info for learning to think and strategize about the battle more effectively. I don't think I've ever seen an article that breaks down the flow of a game given a specific tank lineup or how to balance risk and reward concretely in WoT. Basically, there's too much talk of tactics and not enough talk of strategy.

I've taken to analyzing writings about other games that do talk about strategy. Mostly board games since they have the most written on them. I've found go strategy to be quite easily translated (maybe because I just like the game :p).

18. Cthippo

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that RNG favors those with premium accounts.

I won a day of premium in one of the missions tonight and as soon as it kicked in my arty accuracy, which is heavily RNG dependent, went way up. I hit something like 6 shots in a row with my S-51 and set two on fire. I'm a good arty player, but not THAT good and ther S-51 is a very difficult tank to play well.

It makes sense for Wargaming to implement this since monthly, or at least ongoing, premium subscriptions are probably their main revenue source and most people are happy to believe that the increase in performance is due to them being better players. Also, when their premium expires and the RNG reverts to normal they see a drop in their stats which encourages them to buy more premium time. I'm not sure how big the difference between standard and premium RNG is, but I am sure it's not zero.

You know what else? I'm still not going to pay to play this game and if that means i just have to work harder to improve, well, I'm OK with that :)

19. Risky

Risky Modder

I've never bought a day of premium. (Why would I? I have no need to rush tiers).

I don't see where I'm being help back by the game.

20. obaidbd

obaidbd Minimodder

I am planning to get 30 days of premiums in next month as my wife and kid will be away/out of country for 3 weeks.

So i will try to full use of those 3 weeks (of freedom! :naughty: ), will be unlock as many tanks as possible!! two tanks i am mainly looking at : AMX 50 100 and T69 :D