1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Razer Blade Laptop Updated with New IGZO Display

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pete J, 12 Mar 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Tom's article

I've been interested in laptops as of late as I've been thinking about getting a little dinky thing that still has enough grunt to let me do CAD on the move (this Scan one is looking mighty tempting). I noticed that Razer have updated their blade laptop recently - I'm not interested in it as I think the DPI will actually be a hindrance for working, plus it is a little too expensive for an occasional use thing.

However, I'm just wondering about the actual viability of this new laptop. It's powered by a Geforce 870M, which I have come to the conclusion is probably on the same level as a 660 Ti. IMHO there is no way this is powerful enough to render over 5 million pixels for current gaming. I found that for 2560x1600, at least two 660 Tis were needed.

Am I just being too elitist?

2. hamza_tm

hamza_tm Modder

660Ti?

Unless things have changed massively in the past year, I don't see any way the 870M can possibly be anywhere near 660Ti levels. Haven't checked any benchmarks or anything though, so just ignore me.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

that res is stupid on a gaming laptop, even gtx 780m sli would run into problems playing new games at that res

you'd have to run games at half native res (1600x900) for good performance with an 870m

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just a rough estimate on my part but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how far mobile GPUs have come in the last couple of years.
    Completely agree. As it stands, that resolution is demanding even for two or three desktop class top end GPUs. The only benefit I can see of such a high res is if you use it to do photo editing or something similar. In which case, why are you doing it on a laptop with a small screen?