1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What about IBM 120GXP??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sargan, 24 Jan 2002.

1. Sargan

Sargan What's a Dremel?

Is it any good, read that it is suppose to be quiet, now its starting to drop in price too... thinking about ordering one next week.... It is said to use less power too...

A new bigseller maybe??

2. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

Given IBM's present showing on the hard-disk front, I would probably give that drive a miss....

The only good thing about it I can see is the 4MB standard cache, but that's just indicative of the way drives are going.

Quiet? Maybe, but not as quiet as a barracuda IV. Wait for seagate to update the IV or bring out the V if you must, or just go for a plain barracuda IV.

3. Sargan

Sargan What's a Dremel?

so what do you recommend then? 60gxp? or perhaps maxtor?
    i dont think my local webshop has the seagate....
    hmm ill have to look
    but isnt the seagate slower?? i dont want a slow hd, i want a fast silent hd!!
    big too

4. RTT

RTT #parp

i'd go for a 60gig maxtor d740x :)

5. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

The barracuda IV is not SLOW. It's a very long way from being slow. Generally it's regarded as being as quick as the 60GXP, but quieter, and the 60GXPs and 75GXPs have a nasty little reputation growing, about failures....

6. R121

R121 What's a Dremel?

I upgraded my IBM 60 gxp to the SeaGate barracuda IV there is no speed loss i benchmarked them both infact in some benchmarks the seagate outperformed my ex IBM. the 120 Gxp uses the same liquid barring thing so it should b just as quite BUT dont go for an IBM yet my mates 60 gxp got replaced 4 times and the last one has started to make funny noises as well !

7. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

IBM drives..........dont mention them near me:mad: :D

Had one go in September, and lost a load of data (Didnt have a backup drive did I :rolleyes: ) and then last week the 3 month old replacement drive gave up the ghost and die on me. Fortunately I had another drive to back up on though so all was not lost.

Decided to bite the bullet and get a 40Gb Maxtor D740-X to replace the duff IBM, and been very pleased so far. Seems a fair bit nippier and quiet as well. How it compares to other drives like the 60GXP or the Barracuda IV i wouldnt know, as I'm no a hard drive expert, but people do seem to rate the new Maxtor as being pretty fast....

:)

8. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Well, i cant complain about my IBM drive :)
    it hasnt failed on me and i've had it about 9 months
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. IsaacSibson

IsaacSibson Banned

9 months is not a very long time...these things should last for many years.

My seagate barracuda II has been going strong since aug 2000, and my medalist has been fine since september 97 (although it did get a little unhappy at 41.6MHz PCI clock...lost its data, but was fine again back at 33.3MHz). The Barracuda II handled that clock speed fine. Prior to the medalist, I had a 220MB seagate which was given hard use from feb. 1992, and had only a single bad sector to show for it. THAT is the sort of reliability that these drives SHOULD have.

10. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Running two 60GXP 60GB HDs in RAID 0 and no problems yet... I guess I'm lucky aren't I. :p