1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards H80 fan issue - now motherboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkiboi, 5 Apr 2014.

1. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

I bought a refurbed h80 from scan and it appears one of the fans doesn't spin up. It twitches and if i give it a gentle nudge it'll start but then stop after a minute or two. Does it sound like a problem with the H80 or the psu or the motherboard maybe? The psu is a coolermaster 500w model and the motherboard is an asus p8p67, which is refusing to even reach post atm but I suspect it may be down to me connecting something wrong while half asleep, but may also be the psu.

This turned out longer than the quick question I wanted it to be.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2014
  2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

If it spins and dies again it obviously has power going to it, so sounds like the fan is borked. Its possible that the mobo isn't helping, but normally the second you hit the power button all the fans will spin up.
    Just to rule out a dodgy connection, connect it to a different one.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Most likely the fan

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Have you got a spare fan to test?

5. monkiboi

monkiboi Minimodder

I've reconnected everything and the fan is now working as expected. Unfortunately I'm still unable to post. The board has led's to show errors and initially the ram led was lighting. I pulled one of the sticks and the led stayed off. The vga led then came on and refuses to go despite me swapping out the graphics card.

The system also randomly refuses to start and sometimes the cpu led comes on which leads to the h80 stuttering.

I'm assuming the board is borked unless anyone has any other reason it might be doing this? PSU maybe?