1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Newegg goes live in the UK

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2014.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I think it's more the import duty that's the sticking point... especially given how... inconsistent... HMRC can be regarding how much/if they charge you... and if/how long they keep hold of the stuff at customs...

TBH I'd rather buy from a UK/EU based seller than jump through HMRCs ever changing, often on fire hoops...

2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

You beat me to it on pretty much every point there as far as the political argument goes. There's also the fact that I need stuff, and lots of US companies make that stuff. What I've also come to realize is that by giving third parties money, I can get that US made stuff not only in buildings called shops, but on websites called shops too!

Bottom line, I don't care who's funding what. From what I've seen in the news for the past decade, I have concluded that the world is slowly but surely tearing itself apart and every government is probably as crooked as the next one. As Neil said, we'll all be ashes and dust long before anything on such a global scale is resolved and the so called warmongering stops. I live my life in peace, in a reasonably peaceful country, and my choice of CPU manufacturer or retailer isn't going to stop the British government taking what they think they need out of my pay every month to keep it that way, nor will it stop them from following the USA into the next war they declare.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

If it's cheaper somewhere I'll get it there, if they give better service I'll get it there. Went not have an Amazon account as well as a Newegg one as well. Keep your options open.

4. Mitcian

Mitcian What's a Dremel?

Thread hijack Cheesecake

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Can someone 3D-print me a Octo-core x86 compatible CPU & mobo please? Some DDR4 RAM and a GPU would be nice too. Ta.

6. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

What happens if half the stuff arrives DOA? That'd cost a fortune to send back and forth. Terrible idea. I thought they were starting a UK business at first, which could work, not just offer overseas shipping, which is just plain daft unless it's a rare item that is hard to get over here.

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I didn't know this

Happy to pay it irrespective due to the quality of scan, they are really impressive.

Scan are 5 star, very impressive indeed in deliver of product and management of your order. Not sure what computer systems and staffing they are doing but appears to work and always has done ever since I first ordered from them some many years back.

Has any one actually had a bad experience from scan here?

8. Unicorn

Yes. Many, myself included.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Scan's free next day delivery is tremendous. :thumb: Just have to remember that the minimum qualifying spend is £20 before VAT.

The only issue with Scan is their stock system, which can lead to items appearing in stock but actually being out, and email notifications not being sent until after close of business, preventing you from ordering an alternative item in time to receive it the next day. If Scan could sort their stock system out so that it was a bit more accurate, they'd be absolute top dogs.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I lol'd when it calculated the shiping charge.

I think I'll pass.

11. Unicorn

There are actually two issues - the one you stated perfectly and the fact that they're unwilling to do anything about it despite many bit-tech members making complaints about exactly the same thing. The words 'broken record' come to mind.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Yeah, that's fair comment actually. It's also the reason that I don't use Scan for anything urgent...

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'll second that..and add that as a business customer of Scan's for many years, I can tell you now that their "stock issues" are atrocious - in 2013 this cost my company thousands in lost business because of what are basically sales staff too-keen-to-get-the-sale.... order placed...order paid for in full....suddenly, you've ordered 50 computers and you've got parts for half of them....with the other parts coming "in a few weeks".

Great range. Great prices. But they're an absolute pain in the hole if you NEED the gear (rather than want the gear).

14. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Market is already saturated, mind you I only buy pre loved gear so I'll shut my mouth.

15. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

OcUK have been amazing the last few years. Had to deal with their CS two or three times and they have been excellent, the best i've used in years, maybe ever. Really refreshing as they were on my list of etailers to avoid for many years after issues 10 years ago.

16. Bede

Bede Minimodder

LOL autism. Love it. Make sure you don't buy with your Visa card (god forbid Amex), bank with any of the banks with US operations, purchase music from US music labels, eat food that was grown from US-developed seeds and nourished with US fertilizers etc.

I think if you go full hermit and avoid contact with material society you should be ok.

One other point perhaps worth considering is that the US is the single largest charity/aid-giver... that might be worth bankrolling.

Edit:

In fact, further to that. Let's consider the other "war machines"...

Belgian weapons systems and munitions are found in conflict zones the world over. British too. Let alone the Russia/FSU. Even France has billions of euros in weapons exports. I know the US is the big-bad and they watch people masturbating, but please try to get some perspective from a greater distance than just the first half hour of Iron Man.

France intervenes in African conflicts with great regularity, with the barest of media coverage. Russia has been fighting a vicious internal conflict with separatists in Dagestan, Chechnya etc. China has a difficult record with folk living in Xingjiang and other areas in its west. Britain has a pretty grim history in northern Ireland.

We have used Russian gas for decades, we rely on Chinese consumer goods, we live in Britain. How to avoid supporting these terrible countries? I suggest not paying taxes would be a good start, not wearing clothes (all made in China) or using anything made of plastic (also made in China) or heating your house (oil/gas is making Russia rich). If we all do this then we will bring these terrible countries to the hippy table and we can sit round it naked, admiring our shriveled junk (it'll be a bit nippy without heating). Also no technology please, as you'll be hard pressed to find any microprocessor without one or more Chinese rare earth elements in it. Phones haven't done us any good anyway.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2014
  17. sakzzz

sakzzz Minimodder

Lol! Made my day..

18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

wow ! sorry I upset the popular opinion held by most of you. I would reply to each point made but since you lot deem it necessary to open a reply with an insult, I won't waste my time.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

20. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

AHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the laugh and the memories :-D