1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Quake, Unreal and a monkey

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ChillingSP, 25 Jun 2003.

1. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

I think fps games are boring and not very brain stimulating.
    All you have to do is to splat and kick your enemy down and to do this you become hypercinetic with your thumbs and finger moving
    without a break.

Besides, i think that if someone put a gamepad in a monkey's hand she can be able to play for a while perhaps killing some monster.

So, why do like playing something also a ape can play?:D :D

Awaiting comments by fps lovers.:thumb:

2. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

unfortunately some FPS games are like that. Some that shouldnt have been are becoming like that. :grr:

3. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

It's all about the action, graphics, and appreciation for the game itself...if it's good, that is. That's what I think at least. Games like Counter-Strike though, you actually need to have skills.

4. bHawk

bHawk What's a Dremel?

Youve obviously never played the thief series... play those and then tell me all first person are point and shoot

5. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

yeah, unfortunately games like quake and unreal have kinda spoiled the whole genre for many people as they think that the games are simple and pointless. There are games that take skill, teamwork (if your team isnt 12 year old "1337 n00bies"), and strategy.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

FPS strategy is great when it works (like said, if uve got a goup of 12 yr old n00bs - ur fcuked). However, i find a good quake 3 FFA sesh really stress releaving. Yes, it requires about as much brain power as a 2 year old to point and click, but its fun to numb out too and really get into. Same as ut2k3 on 200%, faster games = better cause it gives my brain something todo. I find 100% too slow on most normal, non strategy games. I cant play halflife based games now, they are just too slow for my liking.

Twas great last year when i played Hwu n his house m8s at his lan. I think Laffco's comment was "you're too erratic rich, you gotta calm down" then i totally wiped the floor :D :clap: heh /pop ego.

I cant stick rpg or rts games cause they take FOREVER todo. You spend a good 20 mins building an army for 3 mins of "fun" killing people.

Most fps games out atm contain too few enemys imo, i prefer half a dozen enemys at once for a real challenge not 1 at a time or all in a row.

7. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

you've obviusly never played a clan match? I play q3f a fair bit (granted its a dieying game), which is objective based, heard of capture the flag?

To start with the quality of play all round is pretty high, meaning youve got to be good at the class you play, which is easy said than done.

Second you need a great deal of organisation, we all communicate on battlecom, and have seperate offence and defence channels and each player is assigned a position...

Certainly from the clan perspective its all about the teamwork and co-ordination rather than simply killing each other.

8. Astrum

Astrum Dare to dream.

Quake and Unreal are the games that defined the genre, they can't ruin it at the same time.

Okay, actually Wolf3d and Doom defined it, but they really made it popular to the masses.

9. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

I think if you're by yourself FPS games can't get quite boring unless of course you're playing thief! FPS games for me are only good when at LANs, my friends and I get together for small LANs (6-10 of us) and it's great playing some FPS. There's just something about being able to talk trash to your friend straight to his face after you've punk'd him out!!!!! :clap: Or telling him to go . . . . you know . . . . while watching the sticky missle he just hit you with blow up in your face!!!! :eyebrow:

10. micb

micb Minimodder

FPS are my usually fav type of game, although a good story line is often required.

Splinter cell is fun although technicaly a TPD (Third Person/Perpesctive Shooter)

FPS often provide me with some nice WOW moments which I love.

Rollon : Max Payne 2 , HL2, Deus Ex 3, Stalker, Doom 3 and Halo.

Also FPS are great when played in Co-operative, have you ever played Codename Out Break, No One Lives Forver 2, Heritic 2, Serious Sam and Serious Sam 2 with some friends.

They are great fun on my home LAN.

Last edited: 26 Jun 2003
  11. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

Yeah, multiplayer fps have a bit more sense but, the fact is i like to think, to resolve enigmas (i have to earn my bananas :D )and so on....

In my point of view the only interesting part of fps is the graphic engine (some are really incredible and involve a lot of code optimization and hard math).

12. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

*cracks knuckles*

Right!

FPS as a genre has been around for years, and I think it's only from people, such as myself, who have been playing them for years, who can truely appreciate a 'good' FPS.

It's true, the early FPS genre was very much a case of point and click. Examples were Doom x and Duke Nukem. The latter, in fact, had auto-aim, so you really didnt need to even face your enemy to fire at them.

It really wasn't until Quake was released, that things started to change. This was simply because us keyboard jockeys were forced to use the mouse for aiming. So, for the first time, it required an element of skill to point at your enemy and shoot.

Staying with this line of enquiry, mouse aiming has progressed nowadays and a few pixels out can mean the difference between a headshot or a complete miss - I am, of course, referring to Counter Strike. Mouse aiming has become such a skill that some top CS players can litterally "1 shot - head shot" a player on the other side of a map, when their head is litterally a pixel wide.

Ok, enough with aiming. I think micb was right when he said, a good story line is required, although their are exceptions (Quake 3, UTx, Postal). Games like Deus Ex, RTCW, Thief x and AvP x are classified as 'FPS' but the story line and adventure aspect overpower the format, often making for a very intense game, even if the engine is a bit cringe worthy. Lets be honest, visually, Deus Ex was nothing special, and it handled so sluggishly - but the story really carried it through.

Looking at the strategy side of FPS, there is a lot more use of tactics that one usually appreciates. You only have to look as CounterStrike to see how vital precision is in the execution of cleverly devised tactics. Even looking at things like Quake 3 there is a huge degree of strategy. You often see Pros will watch an enemy run off and then fire a rocket where they 'think' they will emerge. Lets say 8 times out of 10, the enemy has run straight into it. And if it's not face-paced, hardcore shooting, it's Thief-style stealth through the shadows.

Don't knock FPS until you've tried a huge range of them :p They are not all a like!

13. Styles

Styles What's a Dremel?

I think acron^ hit the nail on the head!

14. micb

micb Minimodder

I agree except, Duke Nukem was a early platformer, "Duke Nukem 3D" was a FPS shooter.

Also Duke Nukem 3D did have 3D aiming like Quake, you needed to press U or I to enable free look, in the setup change to mouse controll and ajust sensivities.

I played Duke Nukem 3D multiplayer with the keyboard W, A, S, D and mouse. It was much easier to kill people.

I remember it took me a while to stop using the keyboard in FPS games, now I could never not use the mouse.

15. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

That's what I meant ;)

If I remember correctly, wasn't the mouse on DN3D inverted? Ugh.

16. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I have to say, that I enjoy first-person action games because they are simple.

When I sit down to play a game, 9 times out of 10 I just want to blow something (or someone) into little bittey peices, or just relax and unwind (by blowing stuff into little bittey peices :D ). Quake 3 based games are great for brain-dead gaming. It requires very little thought once you get into it, and it is good clean fun. :rock:

If l33t 12yr-old AOL lamers enter the equasion, though, things to from great to absolutly terrible. It is not unusual for some l33t kiddie to barge in and start killing everyone with undrawn weapons, saying "iT sAID fFA, so wtf aRe u aLL d0ing?" :nono:

Last person that did that to me got a nice talking to, on the wrong end of a very big gun :D

Sad thing is, the only reason they attack the unarmed, is because they are not good enough to have a "fair fight." It must help their ego to go around laming people, although I can't imagine how that helps when they have a hard time finding a server where they are not banned :wallbash:

That is what has ruined the Quake 3 series. Too many "l33tists," not enough people frusterated enough with them to take care of them. Only one time I have been on a server where the regular players got fed up with the iddiots ruining the game and decided to "dispose of them." I wish that would happen more often :sigh:

I detest "leet speak," although I have absorbed such words such as teh and pwned into my every day vocabulary, I don't like seeing something like this:

aslkdha;w350790324750923743hre;lkhgq;woiyg90q3y40941y390

and having to figure what the heck that means! It is annoying!!!!! :miffed:

17. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

It depends how you define brain stimulating.. it certainly increases your perception and reaction time.

Most people like FPS because they *are* a mindless killing fest.. I load them up when I don't particularly want to do anything except squish aliens or blow away bad guys.

My 'brain challenge' has been playing Zelda on the Gamecube.

18. iashish

iashish What's a Dremel?

see my signature

19. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Me likes FPS games i own most of them if not all

Also agree with Kna Zelda ruls its an amazingly addictive game that has interesting puzzles, along with metroid prime of which im playing alot of now.

Other games i think count in the FPS are Splinter cell that goes along the lines of Theif. I also agree with the Kill fest thing i play most of the games cause they are instant action you start the game your straigh into the kiling its what my simplemind likes hours and hours of killing suites me to the ground calms me down and sort me out :D.

I also don't agree with CS sorry all you CS fans but i don't agree with the game it didn't grip me much maybe cause i didn't know who was on my team and when joined a game i killed some one and got so much abuse cause they was on my own team so that put me off. I do however play similar tema games like Urban Terror mod for Quake 3 this i do understand and have got quite good at these type of games require team stratagy.

Also if you want a game that requires you to think and work as a proper team Play "rainbow six - Black thorne" i also play this ALOT and you have to communicate with your team or you die, when theres like 5+ ppl on your team the best plan is to COMUNICATE which also involves using your nogin to make up a stratagy, this is a game you might want to try or similer to it.

Thats it for me if i've said anything that someone else has mentioned or stated then [pokes toung out] im tired and fed up but ^^^^^^ that is my view on this subject

Thanks
    Empty

20. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

off topic but nm, whats your thoughts of urban terrors hit detection? :p

Used to play a lot but since 2.6 i cant hit ****. We'll see what aries2 has in store ;o

Missing headshots at point blank etc...

Tags: