1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Recommend me a 24" monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SkiDave, 14 Apr 2014.

1. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

I haven't ventured into Bit-Tech and computer hardware for a while and so I am remarkably out of touch with the latest kit.

I currently have a Samsung Syncmaster 22BW as my monitor. I have recently started alot of CAD, rendering and coding at university, with which it is very useful to have several programs/websites/notes open at the same time. As a result, I feel I don't have the screen real estate I want and I am looking to upgrade/add a monitor. I was thinking of adding a 24" as a primary monitor and keeping my samsung as a secondary one.

I no longer game as much as I used to so the monitor will be primarily for work and so I am looking for panel quality over response time.

Budget <£200.

TL;DR sub £200 24" monitor for work.

Cheers,

Dave

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Wait for Goodbytes and others to chime in, but a lot of people will recommend Dell; they produce some very solid monitors, especially their mid / higher end ones that are IPS.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I'd go Dell too, to be honest. NRG:IT do decent reconditioned stuff, and they do a discount for Bit-Tech members. One of my colleagues has just bought an UltraSharp 24", but I don't recall the model number. If I can find him later, I'll ask which one it is, or I'll just go and be nosey in his office.

It may have been over the £200 mark, but it's a superb panel (once you drop the sharpness down to 50%)

4. qualalol

qualalol What's a Dremel?

Probably the U2412M? That's a great monitor, currently £191.94 at aria.co.uk. (Don't get it confused with the similarly priced U2414H -- I've got no idea about how good it is, but it's a 16:9 monitor, whereas the U2412M is 16:10.)

5. jinq-sea

You are right, it's the U2412M. It's very nice. However, another colleague, by chance, actually has the U2414H. It's quite amazing to look at, owing to the miniscule bezel. If you don't mind 16:9, both are superb choices.

That said, I can't say that I get on with 16:9 for PC displays, personally - both my home display and work display are 30" 1600p 16:10 panels!

EDIT: The U2412M, at NRG: http://www.nrgit.biz/product/home/d...ml?c=0&p=277&gclid=CJKqkr2c4L0CFerpwgodpa8AiA

They'll do you a bit-tech discount too, so I understand.

6. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Thanks guys.

I should have mentioned something about the aspect ratio. I prefer the added height of 16:10 . I infrequently watch films on my computer (we have a tv in the living room) and it is far better for work.

The U2414H does look stunning however I already feel cramped for height on my 22" 1680x1050px so being 1080px tall doesn't really add much. Also I don't have either HDMI or DP out (I know that HDMI is essentially the same as DVI just a different connector but it is another added expense)

I think that I will go with the U2412M. What are your experiences with NRG? I'm slightly skeptical about buying refurbished electronics. Anyway a new one on aria is £6 more expensive (with out the bit-tech discount at NRG)

7. jinq-sea

I know that a few folk on here have bought from NRG, even very recently, but I can't for the life of me remember who it is at the moment!

They offer a warranty, and there's a member of NRG staff (NRG:Olly, perhaps - worth a quick user search) who is an active BT member. Give them a call - I understand that they are a good bunch!

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

NRG were great when I dealt with them, very helpful and friendly. That said, I ended up getting my U2412M from Scan as it worked out cheaper at the time of purchase thanks to the free shipping.

Oh, and the U2412M is lovely. I moved from a 22" 1680 x 1050 Samsung (an SM226BW) and the difference absolutely amazed me - the picture quality on the Dell is far superior to the Samsung, and the extra screen real estate made a huge difference.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I bought my U2711 from NRG a while back now, really helpful, just send them an email if you have any questions etc.

In general with regards to the DELL monitors, I've currently got a U2711 and U2311H, both feel very well built, good adjustment etc.
    A friend got a U2412M, didn't see much of it but it certainly seemed good, stand didn't look quite as sturdy but he had no complaints and it still had the same level of adjustment.

If you want something decent without breaking the bank then I would highly recommend a DELL :)

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Not sure what the stands are like on your two Dells, but the stand on the U2412M is absolutely rock-solid. :) Agree about the adjustment, the height adjustment alone is top notch.

11. jinq-sea

Dell monitors all the way - both of my big'uns are Dells - one a 3007 hc and one a 3008. The stands on both are very solid! I also particularly like the cable routing on the 3008.

12. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have the U2412m. Amazing monitor. Great price. Stand is rock solid and super adjustable. Buy it now, thank me later.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Just deployed 28x U2414H

Few points.

The U2414H is immaculate and stunning, the installations I have made at 2x U2414H, and triple for desktop not docking station.

It is a beautiful monitor but it is nothing on the Dell U2711 which I had, the U2414H is a wounderfull addition to any working desk but honestly if I was looking for a main panel it would not be enough, I am sitting behind this crazy LG 21:9 ratio or what ever and I am happy very happy with it but I want even more and triple screen is some thing I am considering for standard driving or flying.

The best screen I have had personally is the Dell 30" IPS ultra sharp, the experience is ridicules, its huge with a capital H.

I have a serious question,

If you had 100 or 200 x U2414H and the screens were being professionally mounted to the desks with desk arms and you had no place but the bin for the monitor stands is there any thing you can do? return the monitor stands to Dell or charity? sell them.

I have thrown away ALOT of the monitor stands that come with the Dell U2410s., U2414H, 22" dells, its just sicking to see all that waste. I had to go down stairs with 30x U2414H emptyu boxes but monitor stands and stirofoam and put them in the skip (flat packed the card board for the recycle).

Dell should have the option to un tick "monitor stand required", and take off even £1 per box, I have seen hundreds of them binned, there I just nothing that seems to be able to be done with them but thrown them away.

Edit: the price of the U2414H raised some eye brows in my team due to the quality of the screen vs price, IE: the price is way way to low for the quality of screen you are getting, a few years ago the screen would have been +350

15. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I got my Dell 2713HM from NRG. It's never missed a beat and NRG, and to be honest, could have been a proper brand new unit when unboxed. NRG were very good at answering questions and allaying the fears of buying a refurb if you contact them. One of the best online buying experiences I've had.

16. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I'll chime in that I use 3x Dell U2412M monitors. I love them. You wouldn't be disappointed.

17. SkiDave

SkiDave Minimodder

Thanks for all the recommendations, sounds like everyone is fairly unanimous about Dell.

I have just ordered a Dell U2412M. I'm looking forward to have a play with it!

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Good work buddy!

I'd say that upgrading from my Samsung to the Dell is the single biggest upgrade I've ever made to my PC, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

19. mscott121

mscott121 Newbie

sorry to necro a old thread but reading the advice on here ive done the same thing and bought a
    The U2412M, at NRG, the advice and service was amazing. thanks to the orginal op for attracting me to his thread :)

20. bsp

bsp Minimodder

aww man.. NOW you tell me.

I got a U2412M from them a while ago.. Absolutely chuffed with it :D

Display port is a pain in the rear and doesn't always work properly though - I have to shuffle resolutions and needed a good cable to make it work :(