1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLI Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 18 Apr 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I posted this question a few weeks ago http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=267831 and then this one http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=268694

Anyway I bought the V Gene but note that the PCI-E slots are very close together, no problem fitting two GPU's but the top one surely must struggle to cool air because of the closeness of the second card?

The Sniper has plenty of room between GPU's and wonders why more manufacturers do not not build their mobo's similar.

Or have I nothing to fear over the slot positions. I am totally new to SLI and have no idea if it is something I should be concerned about?

2. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

It all depends on the cards you choose and which cooler coolers they have on them.

In one pc that I had, the slot's were that close that the top card use to struggle to get any air to it to cool it, and also the south bridge on the motherboard struggled as well so I had to use a desk fan to force air over them in order to stop, the whole pc from crashing due to high temps.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

If they're reference/blower type coolers I wouldn't worry. Even 480s were okay clustered together.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have an Evga 670 top and an Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II on the bottom or will have when I move over to the V Gene.

5. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Yes but the 480 was designed to run like that and had a perforated PCB to bring air in from both sides. It also sucked the air in and got rid of it out the back of the PC. I ran 480 SLI in a sandwich, no issues at all. Tried it in the same PC with two single PCB 295s and no matter what I tried they always shut the PC down.

Glenn. I would not run a SLI sandwich with cards that do not have blower coolers or open back PCBs. I tried to warn you (I think) about getting rid of the Sniper. MATX and SLI are usually not a good idea at all unless you're under water or have open back PCB and many manus are not doing open back PCBs any more.

When I had my Asrock Extreme 3 (AMD) board to run my triple slot cards in X16 X16 I had to run them in a sandwich and last summer I could not play Metro : Last Light because they kept hitting high 90s. That's pretty tragic for 670s and I knew they would end up getting damaged. The only option I had was to move the bottom card down into a X4 slot and hack it into action using HyperSLI.

So. In my opinion I would either get another blower (one is a blower right?) or just stick with the Sniper. With our new hot summers you will end up in a pickle, I can assure it.

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I always get the stock rear exhaust type for SLI I have 4 EVGA 670's and they are almost touching each other and I have no heat problems at all

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Better idea to switch positions otherwise the ASUS card will be blasting hot air at the EVGA card!

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As yet I have not got rid of the Sniper, but I shall run these cards in the V Gene whilst keeping an eye on the temps.

Oh and by the way I am in Scotland we don't get hot summers and my man cave never gets the sun so ambient temperature is never an issue.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Unfortunately the Asus does not blast air out the back whereas the Evga does.

Will try that. Thanks.

10. AlienwareAndy

Yeah I got a couple of mates up there. Dundee and Dumfries...

What exact cards do you have? can you put up a pic or a link? that would help a lot.

Example. This did not work.

[​IMG]

Even like this..

[​IMG]

106c shut downs.. Like this -

[​IMG]

64c hottest core in the summer. This overheated too

[​IMG]

But that's not really surprising given what was in there... This was fine, hottest GPU 82c

[​IMG]

So was this.

[​IMG]

You should look into doing this to both your GPUS dude..

[​IMG]

It'll cost about £120 but will kick total ass.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Not sure what you want pictures of Andy and I previously posted the GPU's makes mate. They are.

I have an Evga 670 2GB on top and an Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 670 DirectCU II

EDIT: PS. What were you trying to show me in your images?
    EDIT 2: Sorry read the comments between images. But please explain what is going on in the final image?

12. AlienwareAndy

I'm showing what works and what doesn't :D

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I appreciate that but can you please explain, as the image does not show clearly, what is happening in the final image? Is this water-cooling and if so is it possible just to water-cool the GPU and nothing else?

14. AlienwareAndy

The final image is a Dwood bracket that allows a water cooler like the Kuhler to be fitted to a GPU.

Here, this is it on my 480.

[​IMG]

Check out the clocks...

[​IMG]

And the 3dmark 11 score.

[​IMG]

I then went on to clock it to 960mhz and scored 7100. Just to give you an idea how incredible that is, here is the score I got from my overclocked GTX 670.

[​IMG]

So what I'm saying dude is maybe it's worth looking into mod cooling your 670s. That way you can pack them as close as you like and you'll get very low temps.

IIRC NZXT were making a bracket..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-006-NX

£60 for two of those, then two of these @ £60

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-010-AN

And for £120 you've got liquid cooled GPUs oblivious to the fact that they are right next to each other.

What case are you using dude?

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

It is in my sig Andy, a Carbide Series Air 540.

Not keen on your idea as it is ugly. What about one of these? http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-hybrid.html

Looking at the Krakens and the Kuhlers, is there cutting involved? Cannot see how the Krakens and Kuhlers come together.

16. AlienwareAndy

The Kraken will mount any AIO that has the round type block on it. That means it will fit the cooler I linked you to.

Not sure it's ugly tbh. It's no worse than any other liquid cooling. I assume you are using an AIO on your CPU yes?

In the 540 (if it's laid out as I assume) I would fit the two 120mm rads to the front intaking cool air for your GPUs, then fit the CPU's AIO to the roof. That way every hot part is being cooled under water, using air from outside the case.

It's definitely more uniform than two odd GPUs dude. And it will drop your GPU temps like you would not believe. My GTX 480 @ 960mhz (suicide mental clocks !) hit 68c... In furmark after an hour :jawdrop:

It's well worth doing it dude. Well well well worth it, in fact, it's the best £120 you'll spend. Just trust me on that.

Ed. That Arctic thing is basically the same as what I've linked you to, only uglier (IMO) and much more expensive.

Ed 2. It doesn't involve cutting, no. You simply remove your existing coolers, put four bolts through the back of the card then fit the AIO like you would fit it to your CPU. The Kraken is basically Dwood's bracket stolen totally and then powdercoated lol.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I meant your image was ugly as there is no sign of the Kraken. And no I do not AIO my CPU , I have a Zalman CNPS7X LED . My specs are in my signature Andy all components Listed.

This is my rig with the Sniper. [​IMG]

18. AlienwareAndy

Oh OK I see..

This is a Kraken fitted.

[​IMG]

I would fit two and then AIO my GPU...

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I see right now I understand.

But then you say "I would fit two and then AIO my GPU... ?"

20. AlienwareAndy

I meant AIO your CPU. Sorry man, under the influence of some pretty powerful anti psychotics right now... Not very well....

If you AIO the lot with the rads all on intake your PC will be a very happy bunny.

SLI isn't for the faint hearted, nor can really be done on the bodge or cheap. You really do need to cool it properly if you want it to behave. I've been running multi GPU rigs for a very long time now (one of the rigs above was two 3870x2 with a 8800 Ultra for Physx running two power supplies...)