1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipset fan-dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ReznorCathode, 28 Jun 2003.

1. ReznorCathode

ReznorCathode What's a Dremel?

Hey,
    Turns out that the whining noise that i hear when i boot up my computer, is my chipset fan, which is now officially dead. so i know i need to replace it, but i was wondering, could it be the reason for the occasional random reboot?
    especially since its gets pretty warm in here sometimes

thanks

2. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Could be.

Could be something else also.

One way to find out.

3. ReznorCathode

so i havent replaced it yet, no time,but i am replacing it tomorrow
    im also beginning to think that it may be my power supply...but im not sure

heres what happens: ill be doing something that requires the computer to work a little (a few programs running, or playing some graphics intensive game) and poof,reboot. everything starts up perfectly back to normal
    so im also beginning to suspect that this chipset fan could be the culprit, just cause it seems to happen when the computer has a load to work on...
    it could be cause its hot in here too...
    any suggestions?
    thanks

4. Buttcrack

Buttcrack What's a Dremel?

if you leave the computer off for an hour or so, will it run longer without a reboot on the next bootup? sure sign of overheating. Also, on the fan you think is broken, try squirting some wd-40 in it. Most of the times i think a fan is broken, a little lubrication will have it spinning again in no time.

5. ReznorCathode

If i leave it idle,and go away,and come back, itll be the same way i left it. but once i start using it to do things,it eventually reboots, oh,and yeah,the fan is dead, i checked for sure :) thanks for the suggestion though
    Im not too sure what to do if it is overheating(well,i know what i can do,just dont know where to start...maybe ill take the case off when its hot in here)....first things first though,replace the fan

6. Buttcrack

Buttcrack What's a Dremel?

i recently upgraded my processor heatsink, u want a beat up dragon orb 3? lol

[​IMG]

oooh ahhh

7. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I'll pimp my way of dealing with this stuff again :)
    Most stock fans I see on stuff I buy use sleeve bearing. They also use a merly 'adequete' greese. Sleeve fans are usally easy to disassemble, remove the dirt saturated greese, and re-lube with good old motor oil (I have a bunch of fans that have put at least twice if not three times their standard lives using motor oil). If you are really hot on replacing the fan and only need the current one temporarily you can do a quik and dirty fix on your current fan. Expose the bearings, use a mild solvent to try and displace some greese, wash it, and then put a couple drops of some liquid lubricant in the bearing hole. Spin the fan to work it in. It should be good for as much as a week that way.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

those dragon orbs are "rather" dangerous IMO :blah:

9. ReznorCathode

hey,
    yeah i remember trying that once with a case fan...i didnt work,plus i dont really have the time these days to go along and do the same thing with the chipset fan, so im going to replace it.
    also,do you guys have any suggestions on cooling my computer down?
    I was thinking about putting in extra fans in the sides etc..
    ill probably take the sides off for the time being

thanks

10. ReznorCathode

found out that my case fan is broken too...
    it may just be unplugged though....
    this is probably one of the additional reasons im getting these crashes.....
    just thought id leave a note, just in case this becomes useful to anyone in the future :thumb:

*update*
    so i replaced my chipset and case fan,and everything works perfect now...

Last edited: 3 Jul 2003
  11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

it seems like lots of your stuff is "breaking down" might be motherboard problem ??

or maybe just unplugged ?

But this problem surelyt sounds like overheating but i doubt it would be a northbridge problem since my gigabyte and asus a7n8x hardly gets warm at all..

BTW what games do u play, for example if u smoke too many grenades in cs u crash, too much blood and guts u crash...

might just be problems with the game itself, anyway good luck in fixing your pc :)

12. ReznorCathode

hey
    thanks for your reply
    well,i flashed the bios,and the new memory is fine, but i still got a blue screen today saying PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, and this was when i was talking to someone and listening to music. plus,all the software im running, ran perfect until i started having problems (which started out as heat problems, so im guessing that maybe that messed something up...,or maybe it just randomly rebooted one too many times,hehe), so im pretty much settled with the fact that it must be a Mobo problem.
    i read up on the problem i have,and it turns out that it has been cause by motherboard problems,including northbridge problems...same with devices disappearing...
    ill probably have to replace this when i get back from my trip to mexico.heh

i play GTA Vice City by the way. Im not too big of a gamer

thanks