1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Office Chair

Discussion in 'General' started by gcwebbyuk, 26 Apr 2014.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I have had an Ikea office chair (http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20103101/) for a few years now, and find it fairly comfortable.

However, I struggle with a spine injury (two disks replaced in my neck) and have fairly poor posture because of it. I tend to end up supporting my upper body with my arms - which then puts more tension on my shoulders and neck - a vicious cycle.

The other issue with the chair, is that the arms are not adjustable, and I therefore have to have the chair on it's lowest height to allow the arms to fit under the desk. This in turn puts my legs at the wrong angle, further affecting how I sit.

It is time for me to buy a new chair. But what to get?

There is a company fairly local to me - Posturite (http://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-chairs/ergonomic-office-chairs.html) - who make all sorts of orthapedic kit - but it costs, a lot...

I would be happy to pay around £500 for a decent chair - so does anyone have recommendations?

I would especially be interested in anyone who has a similar condition to me, who has experience of office chairs that work for them.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not wanting to put a spanner in the works, but have you considered an adjustable height desk?

3. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Yeah I have. However, I thought "upgrading" the chair might help my spine in the long run.

The desk idea hasn't been dismissed though :)

4. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Has to be a Herman miller, maybe a celle or a mirra, unless you want to go up to the aeron or embody, I personally have an embody and since my spinal surgery it's been amazing

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

5. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I heard of those chairs on a YouTuber I follow - FroKnowsPhoto - but thought they were mega pricey.

Will have to look for a local dealer so I can try them out. Thanks!

Out of interest (if you don't mind saying) what surgery did you have? Did you buy the chair because of the surgery?

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I use a van seat modified into a desk chair. My suggestion is to find a comfy chair and build around that.

...Sorry if this devolves into a "The comfy chair?!?!" skit.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

A lot of other members have had luck buying used office furniture, and they end up with high end ergonomic chairs. Another thing to consider, what about an obusforme? They're like chair cover's kind of. My mom managed to get one for me and it's super comfy. Not a perfect solution, but they're cheaper than an entirely new chair.

8. BA_13

BA_13 Minimodder

I slipped a disc (lumbar region) 10 years ago and having had numerous office chair that always gave me a sore back after an hour or so of use. At the beginning of March I finally bought a Herman Miller Embody chair. Since getting it I haven't had any issues with my back even after extended hours in front of the computer and I find it to be the most comfortable chair I have used now that I am used to it (it felt a little odd for the first couple of days and took a couple of little tweaks to the settings to get it right for me).

For me it was well worth the expense (about £950 I'm afraid) however the most important thing is to actually try out the chair you're going to buy for an extended time, 5 minutes in a showroom won't cut it. I bought mine from "Back2" as they offer a trial period in your own home on quite a lot of their chairs and I found them to be very helpful when I spoke to the on the phone for advice prior to purchasing.

Anyway good luck with your search for a chair that works for you, if you have any queries about the embody feel free to ask me but I imagine your best option is to trial a few different chairs until you find one that works for you.

Mike

9. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

Thanks for the info. Looks like an embody is the way forward.

I will see if I can arrange a trial.