1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals USB mic buzz, touch case?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by spyplane, 9 May 2014.

1. spyplane

spyplane What's a Dremel?

I have a Corsair Vengence 1500 USB headset which I love. I have been recording audio on it for a while now, and I always had a loud buzz noise in the background, which I attributed to the 10 fans running in my case.

I was fiddling with it this morning, because my new (old) house has no ground wires, and I expected it was a "ground loop" issue. Turns out touching the computer case, especially in an un-occupied USB socket removes all the buzzing.

Touching one of the plugs is fine for testing, but playing a game or doing RaidCall is difficult at best. I've tried plugging in a USB cable into a plug, and holding it in my hand with no effect. Would taping a copper wire from my skin to the case or the edge of a USB plug help?

Thank you!

2. spyplane

spyplane What's a Dremel?

Just did some testing, and yes, touching copper wire to a USB plug and touching that wire takes away the buzz. The wire is currently taped to my thumb-spot on my mouse , so as long as I hold that the problem is solved. If I type, welp...

I will look into other solutions later. I am planning on doing a full wiring job on this house to get it up to code this summer, so that will likely solve everything.

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

can you not run a grounding wire to a metal peg outside, or to copper pipes that bring water into your property?

4. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Wot he said.