1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Which powertool, Dremel or a RotoZip?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Makaijin, 26 Jan 2002.

1. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

I was wondering, should I get a Dremel kit or should I get a Rotozip that I saw on Maplin?

The rotozip with the zipmate is more suited for cutting and stuff.
    The reason I consider the rotozip because I think it can cut alot better abd give a cleaner cut than the Dremel, or probably even better than a jigsaw.

2. Brackish

Brackish What's a Dremel?

Dremel. Period.

The RotoZip, in my opinion, is small on features and big on size. The Dremel, with its wide array of bits and compact size, is the obvious choice.

And as for the "cleaner cut factor", I have two points: one, you'd be surprised just how detailed your work can get once you're skilled in the art of Dremel-Fu, and two, any cuts, no matter what you use to make them, are going to require a measure of clean-up (laser-cutting device owners need not speak up, thank you very much :D).

Again, this is just my opinion. I've not weighed-in the money and availability factors.

3. TOPLOADER

TOPLOADER What's a Dremel?

Aluminum Siding if your pc is made of this then get rotozip because thats the only metal it says it cuts

4. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Does the circle cutter adapter work for aluminum though? Because that'd make making blowholes MUCH more easier...

5. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

I would definitely go with the dremel too. Much more options and control. Also you can get a RotoTool attachment for the dremel and bits. RotoZips are hard to cut in a straight line with too. And I'm not sure if the speed is variable on them.

peace.
    UnLoadeD

6. Makaijin

The zipmate adapter can cut through many metals, steel, copper, iron, and loadsa stuff.
    The rotozip on its own can cut through sheets of aluminium, acrylic, most woods and such.
    The reason I consider the rotozip is the fact it can cut through perspex (acrylic) very easily, as i've decided to ditch the idea in buying the ClearPC and make my own, after reading Linear's article.

I just came back from my local B&Q warehouse and they had a rotozip on demo, and I just had to have a go.
    Bloody Christ, this thing can replace my jigsaw!
    True, it's fairly hard to cut straight lines, but the thing is like a hot knife through butter, especially on wood!
    It won't be like butter on the harder stuff, but cutting stuff with it is still very easy.

7. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

I doubt you'd be able to build a case outta pieces cut with a rotozip or a dremel, no way will the cuts be straight enuff. Might be best to wait for linear's second article to see how he does the cutting and such. BTW Did the rotozip you tried have variable speed?

peace.
    UnLoadeD

8. Makaijin

It's 2 speed settings. The demostrator guy said that is a 4 speed version with more power and microchip controlled that is available soon in europe. He said it was called the rotozip 'Revolution' or something.

Unless you use a router, I think it's a bit hard to get anything cut very straight. Since the rotozip addon can be used as a sander, I was thinking of cutting it then sanding it to a smooth finish. If it isn't flat and smooth, it would be very hard for the glue to set.

As afterall I decided to make my own acrylic case instead of the ClearPC is so I can make a case with a built-in water resevior for watercooling, and probably some water ducting so the system can be used either standing or lie down flat.

9. linear

linear Minimodder

As long as you have a straight template, the rotozip (or Dremel equipped with a spiral cutting bit) will chow right through acrylic or any plastic, no probs. The Dremel bit I'm referring to is #561, and it looks just like a general-purpose Rotozip spiral cutting bit. It doesn't even melt the plastic at high speed, which I like.

10. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

I'd recommend the Dremel.

Also, I'm not sure if you're from the US, but for each different Dremel model there's an identical Sears Craftsman model. The only difference is that one says Dremel and one says Craftsman. Plus, the Craftsman brand is generally $10 - $30 (US) cheaper.

[​IMG]

11. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

theres also that Craftsman™ warranty ....

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

There are not many tools you need to start case modding, I recommend the following list:

1) Dremel (clone)
    2) Power Drill (for those larger holes)
    3) Stanley Knife
    4) Phillips ScrewDriver
    5) Soldering Iron
    6) Needle Tipped Pliers (I just think they come in useful :D )

Also some more advanced stuff, that isnt really necessary:

7) Multimeter
    8) Watchmakers Screwdrivers (the small ones)
    9) Needle Files

The list of advanced tools can go on and on, Ive just started it here, but the first 6 things, I recommend that you should get, as you are bound to need them at some point during your modding times :)

13. Makaijin

Well, I'm based in the UK.
    Also, whats the difference between the normal dremel and the craftsman version?
    What is the power/torque on them like? I mean, My brother's got a dremel clone (minicraft i think) and the torque just plain sucks.
    I've got everything that biggie mentioned, apart from the dremel obviously.
    OK, say I wanted a dremel, which model do you recommend with the highest power/torque? It doesn't have to be a cordless because the power on them is generally crap. I'd like a complete kit if possible.

14. linear

linear Minimodder

Craftsman rotary tool is just a rebadged Dremel--it's the same tool. Power and torque are low for Dremels. Black & Decker RTX has higher torque, and some peeps like that, but it doesn't make it much more useful than a Dremel IMO (it is cheaper though).

The key to a Dremel is that the speed of the bit is so high, you use very little pressure and it's nice for detail work. If you have to cut through 25 metres of sheet metal it's the wrong tool.

If you get a variable speed Dremel, the kits just vary in the attachments you get, so look around for a bargain.

15. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

that list should be updated. I have used dremels for cutting windows and blowholes and nothing beats using a jigsaw for windows and hole saws for blow holes.

you can get a variable speed orbital jigsaw for less than a dremel and still have cash left over for a 80mm or 92mm hole saw that attaches to your drill.

also you should have added wire strippers and crimpers for making your own power connections.

16. Tim S

Tim S OG

That is what a stanley knife and needle tipped pliers are for, I am taking the minimalist approach here, Im a student with little cash, hence why I have listed fewer items...

I argue with the dremel, hence why "clone" is in brackets, £20 from your local DIY store, rather than £80ish for the real thing. So IMO I dont think you can get a jigsaw and a holesaw and arbour for less than £20, if you know of somewhere that does, please let me know :D

Cheers,

BiGGiE