1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Have You modded Your PSU?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ConKbot of Doom, 3 Jul 2003.

?

What PSU mods do you have?

1. Replaced the fan

47 vote(s)
    59.5%
  2. New cover

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  3. Lighting

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. Other (do tell)

45 vote(s)
    57.0%
  5. Another Other

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Personally I have put in a few LED's, wired a switch to connect PS_ON to ground ( to turn on the PSU w/o a motherboard), and made the fan run off of the 5v standby, so that the fan is always on when the PSU has AC into it. (diodes keep the 12v from getting the 5VSB and vice versa)

2. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I have put in a 92mm fan in addition to the standard 80mm. The 80mm is running on 7V and the 92mm is powered through a temperature sensing circuit. I also put a blue LED in there just for fun, but the fans are kind of blocking it up a little.
    In order to fit the 92mm fan, I had to use an other cover, which I took from a 250W old ATX PSU.

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I too have a MoBo independent power on on my test/electronics PSU.

4. ThE-LyNX

ThE-LyNX What's a Dremel?

I have (and use) 3 modded PSU's.

1) Always on for testing fans, leds, cathodes, EL String, etc

2) Changed both fans on a QTEC 550W Gold for quieter ones

3) Stripped a generic 300W down and hacked the heatsinks off, extended the wires to the mains input & added a 12V constant on. All this just to go in a Maplin Project Box!!!.

5. star882

star882 What's a Dremel?

I have modded my 200w Delta PSU by connecting the fan(80mm, 7000RPM Delta) to 12v(originally connected to sensor circuit), and I added a blue LED(powered by 5vsb).

6. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

one thing i would LIKE to do is mod it so that there's an extra power outlet so i can plug my monitor into there (keeps things cleaner) like they used to put on some old AT psu. (i saw an article about doing thise before, but lost the link - anyone happen to have it?)

i've also got a cheap-o psu modded so it runs with out a mobo for testing different things on

7. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

Well I put a window i mine put the fan on a fan-bus and re-roted all wires except mobo power out the side to where thye cant be seen. I also have a cheapo oldskewl mobo for testing things, it is one of the ones with the switch that swithes the whole 240v. And does anybody know why it would short out whe tryig to 7v on it? beaus it just shrots out when i try and 7v!

8. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

My PSU sits less than 1" above my heatsink, and only has the single fan in the back. Soooo, I cut the casing of my PSU so air would go freely from the heatsink through the psu to the rear psu exhaust or up through the corner of the psu to the blowhole in the top of my case.
    Someday I may be making a duct to go straight from the top of the heatsink to the 92mm fan in my blowhole. (This is what I had planned originally but royally fuxx0red it, so I gotta redo it)

9. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

ok here's a quick rundown lol

* removed all stickers
    * added 4 5mm leds, 2 green, 2 blue
    * replaced rear 80mm with white Coolermaster
    * sleeved all internal wiring within reason
    * rewired auto fan control to outside 4 fans and all internal fans in case are controlled by internal psu thermister as are psu fans

Still to be done:

Finish custom power leads
    Finish Custom ATX cable
    Add all black molex :D

here's a quick shot of the re-wire before led re-install

[​IMG]

10. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

does makin it look all borg-like with 1/2" split loom all around count?

i did that to the old 300w that is now in my girlfriends box, and did it to some of the visible bits in my current box (antec 431w) ... didnt have much to do though, i just ran most of the wires between the side panel and the mobo plane ...

11. bilnv

bilnv What's a Dremel?

I modded the cables with expandable tubing. I think later i'll probable paint it too.
    [​IMG]]

12. Hippo

Hippo Pre-dates 5.25" Floppies

Modded a QTEC 550W..

2 New LED fans
    Installed a power switch
    Sleeved the cables

Check my project log for pics

13. ReFredzRate

ReFredzRate Relix Headshot!!

I replaced the fan once, because the old one was dieing :( So I replaced it with a 64 m³/h fan, which made so many noise I just had to do a 7V mod to it... so now another PSU in the house has died and I had to put this PSU in that case. Pretty quiet :D

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

attempted to mod the fan, completely killed the (£55, 420W) psu

Wont touch another.

:sigh:

15. kong

kong cnc-guy

I threw together an acrylic box for mine, tarted it up a bit, added a relay to control my water-pump, and moved the fan to the bottom so it sucks air in and ejects through the vents on the back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Yes I have tidied up the wires now, but the photo is sooo old!

16. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

modded my enermax with a perspex cover and embedded LED's, and replaced the 92mm fan with a 120mm so a radiator can be fitted to it, used black braiding on all the cables and finished them off with heatshrink, and added a thermal probe in the psu to monitor temps :)

17. GT3_GOD

GT3_GOD What's a Dremel?

done
    - Removed sticker
    - Braided it
    - Turned pots up for higher rails

To Do
    - vinyl dye all visible cables and connectors black
    - Remove cheese grater grill at the back
    - wet and dry the whole thing for the brushed look
    - laquer it

Its a 340W cheiftec btw so its silent as stock :clap:

18. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Yay, People who actually aren't afraid to open up the cover, and know that if you know what you are doing, a PSU won't kill you. :clap: :clap:

In my upcoming project, which I'll give details on later, (when I actually get parts) After a good test, I want to make a line filter for all of the lines that way everyting gets good and clean power. Even though motherboards have some filtering on them, a little redundancy cant hurt. Also a second transformer for fans and CCFLs. (of course a custom cover). Finally, I am going to mount molex conectors in the side, so I can attach custom made power cables, (keep it neat).

19. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

Heh, mine's quick basic. Painted it black, removed the bottom fan (noisy!), put a blue LED fan in the back, sprayed the grills black also.

Looks sexay :baby:

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Just changed the fan grille to fit in with the rest of the case...

[​IMG]

... and removed the fan grille for the internal fan. No need for the obstruction; I'm not likely to stick my fingers in there and all the wiring will be too neatly sorted to wander...