1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Crashing - Asus A7N8X Deluxe and 2 x 512MB DIMMs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lightning, 3 Jul 2003.

1. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

I've got a problem with my system - i just upgraded my memory to 2 x 512MB PC3200 Corsair DIMMs on my Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard and my stability has gone out the window

I am getting random crashes while booting, random crashes in games, 3dmark03 randomly crashes with corrupt objects or scripts. I relaxed the memory timings to 8-3-3-2.5T and still no difference. Oddly, when i had 2 x 256MB PC3200 DIMMs I could run them at 2-2-2-2T without issue, but the 512MB DIMMs will only boot WindowsXP at 2-3-2-2T.

I'm investigating the possibility that the DIMMs are both faulty (got access to a DIMM tester at work) but in the meantime:

1 - Is anyone aware of any problems with the A7N8X and half gig dimms? Its possible the motherboard is a revision 1.3 or worse as i bought it not long after they hit the retailers. How do I check the revision?

2 - Anyone aware of any problems with Corsair 512MB PC3200 DIMMs? I was under the impression that Corsair make quality DIMMs, is this not the case?

3 - Does anyone know of any apps i can run to test my ram block by block?

Any help is greatly appreciated :sigh:

Last edited: 3 Jul 2003
  2. rich_bytes

rich_bytes What's a Dremel?

Do a google search for memtest86:- it's a pretty thorough memory tester and will enable you to determine which of the DIMMs (if any) is faulty.

3. Lightning

1st dimm, the one i suspected was faulty first, showed 226 errors on a basic test... so thats good ;)

however, the second dimm is exhibiting similar behaviour now, but shows no errors at all - bit worried about this :/

4. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

i have an A7N8X deluxe vr.2.0 and pc3200 corsair low lat. ram (2x256), and all works really well. I have my timings very agressive, and its verys stable. Might be a bad ram, or the board, some a7n8x's have problems with ram...

Edit: And as luck has it, after i post this, i get a blue screen of death :wallbash:

Last edited: 5 Jul 2003
  5. Lightning

this is getting to me now

memtest86, full test - 6 hours of it on only the one 512MB dimm, the one with no errors on the basic test

no errors found

then, today i get this

[​IMG]

as i've said, the system was rock solid with 2 x 256MB DIMMs, since i swapped to these 512MBs i have had nothing but crashes

how reliable is memtest86? i'm starting to suspect its my mobo, but thats going to be a pain to replace, especially if its not at fault >.<

will getting a rev 2.0 A7N8X (forgot to mention, the one i have right now is the Deluxe version) be a good idea? other than putting these 512MB dimms in its been a rock solid and reliable motherboard :(

:wallbash:

EDIT: looking at the revision 2 mobo review, http://www.bit-tech.net/review/216/2 shows where the PCB says "rev 2.00" - my version has no revision number here at all, so its possible its a very low revision

Last edited: 5 Jul 2003
  6. Necrosis

Necrosis What's a Dremel?

I'm running the 1.04 rev. version of this board w/ two sticks of Corsair XMS PC3500. How do you have your ram installed? My timings are 2-2-2-5.

7. Lightning

the dimms are in slot 1 and 3
    ram timings makes no difference to whether or not it crashes
    2 x 256MB dimms were at 2-2-2-2T
    1 x 512 or 2 x 512 wont go below 2-3-2-2T

8. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

My guess would be either the RAM or the PSU.

If you have a cheap generic PSU, that might be the cause of random crashes.

Especially if you have a good graphic card and plenty of optical and hard disk drives.

9. Lightning

do 512MB dimms consume significantly more power than 256MB? i've never had a problem before, and as i have said it was rock solid with 256MB dimms

10. sinizterguy

No they dont consume that much more power, but it could have been the straw that broke the camels back if you have a cheap generic PSU.

Try running memtest first tho. If you get errors, then replace mem, if not then its mostly the PSU.

11. Lightning

ok, fair enough :) been meaning to buy a bigger PSU ever since i got my radeon 9700

memtest showed errors on one dimm but not the other, so i'm RMAing that

do you recommend a psu? what rating would be best for:

radeon 9700
    athlon 2400+
    asus a7n8x deluxe
    40gb hdd
    120gb hdd
    dvdrom/cdr combo
    2 x 512MB dimms
    4 x 80mm lighted case fans

12. sinizterguy

If the system stops giving errors with that DIMM removed, you might as well stay with this PSU if all the voltages are in order.

If not, I think maybe Antec PSUs ? Something over 400W atleast ?

13. Lightning

well this is the thing, i removed the faulty dimm but the problems persist on the remaining non faulty dimm :( thats why i ran the "complete test" - 6 hours for 512MB, yeesh - thats also why, as that dimm passed with 0 errors i was suspecting its a problem with early revisions of the a7n8x, but no one has been able to verify that

cant find anything online to that effect either

i'll look around for a 400W psu - if it comes to it, i'll bring my next upgrade forward a few months and get a rev 2 a7n8x and new cpu :(

14. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

<rant> Dude I like this mobo cause I have one But it has a ton of problems it seems. I mean I had to hammer out a few of my own. Video card ones.. I like the board but it seems it was shipped with a barrel o' bugs </rant>

15. Lightning

heh - its been, surprisingly, rock solid for me up to now - once i got my radeon 9700 working with it anyway

however, it seems that it *might* be the power - i unhooked a few devices, and the power LED, which hasnt worked for ages, is now lit up :)

i'm going to do some more testing, but good call that man :D

EDIT: or not, just crashed :( ah, i'll try a new psu as from what i have read radeon 9700s and up are pretty power hungry

Last edited: 7 Jul 2003