1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Why mechanical keyboards aren't for me

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 May 2014.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I love my Qpad 3202 - back-lit on reds. I had a Zibal, K60 and a Saitek Eclipse beforehand.

Qpad all the way...

2. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I love my (my wife's technically as it is her PC..) Vengeance K70 for gaming but I still haven't quite go used to it for typing quickly. I am mainly used to using my laptop though which is a polar opposite in typing feel.

Noise wise I couldn't care less as anything that helps drown out a 290X @ 60%+ fan speed is welcome :D

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Hey you know my Black Widow is really noisy. Really, really noisy actually.

I love it ;)

Each to their own

4. megamale

megamale Minimodder

I also think mechanical keyboards are overhyped a bit. I have the K70 with brown switches which recently replaced a Filco (mainly to get backlight, I still can't touch type special characters).

That said I think this is going to be my last mechanical keyboard. The noise is not a huge issue, although it forced me to switch to push to talk on teamspeak. I often go to client sites and have to use whatever keyboard they have. I am forced to say that sometimes I find it easier to type on a standard keyboard, I still can't put my finger on why.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Megamale, your last sentence is actually a lot more common than many people would believe.

I find typing on a decent rubber dome very easy indeed, and some of the mechs I've typed on have been frankly horrible. However, this little FC660M I'm typing on at the moment is one of the easiest typing boards I've ever used, no question.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

G80-3000 :baby:

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

One of my other faves. I keep my love for blues alive for typing

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

9. David

Meh, posh rubber domes...

/troll :lol:

10. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

I feel the same way about mech boards. Settled on the cyborg v5 myself as well.
    Happy with the board until a better alternative than current clunky mech keyboards is available.

11. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Rubberdomes done properly :)

12. David

Well said.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I'd thought reds were pretty quiet, but considering that's compared to my matching board with blues my perspective may be skewed. :hehe:

Same. The only flashy things on my mechs are red Esc keys.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Ha ha! As always, I rely on you Spreadie to mop up on the proofing ;D

15. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

My main problem with mechanicals - including the Filco Majestouch I treated myself (and everyone within a fifty foot radius of me) to at work - is that none of the ones I've tried even come close to a Model M for typing feel.

As for home use - my Eclipse II is still going strong thank you very much. I had a scare about a year ago when my "better" half spilled a pint of vodka and apple juice all over my previous one and it died right there in front of me. To my amazement however, she'd managed to time her cackhandedness to coincide perfectly with the listing of a single new "old stock" Eclipse II by an Amazon marketplace seller somewhere in Germany. God bless the internet.

Needless to say the better half is forbidden from taking liquids anywhere near it.

16. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

its all about the "good feeling of oneness with cup rubber" ;)

17. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

Wait, I'm not supposed to bottom out the keys? My K65 makes a satisfying smash every time I press a key.

I really don't want RSI, should I be tapping them more lightly?

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

If you're going to use a membrane keyboard, the Saitek Eclipse (now marketed as the Cyborg V5) is one of the best money can buy and isn't even all that expensive. Despite my switch to mechanical boards for almost everything else, I still have several Eclipses and a V5 in the workshop which get used on a regular basis. Before that, one of them was my gaming keyboard for about 6 years and served me very well.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent, I think you've taken it a bit too far. £100 on a mechanical board is fine in my opinion. I've personally spent more than that several times over on some of my boards. £100 on a keycap is insane though, as is a lot less per keycap. Like everything though, it's a hobby and like many hobbies, it's an expensive one. Some people collect stamps, some collect expensive keyboards and some collect high end flashlights. If I told you that I personally own over £2000 worth of torches and related equipment, you'd call me borderline certifiable as well, but it's just another expensive hobby like RC, photography, cycling, scuba diving, rallying, track racing and even modding or building high end PCs.

19. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

My WYSE temrinal kayboard at work is hands down my favourite keyboard in years! Nice tall keys, membrane, nice action. has a PS/2 port in it and everything...

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

It is all irrelevant until they make a mechanical KB with an LCD like the G19.

There are literally thousands of gamers that I interact with personally that are the same way, you need the LCD for so many things. If I know that many there must be hundreds of thousands if not millions who are waiting for this.

Tags: Add Tags