1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A7N8X Deluxe Performance Tweaking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j`w0n, 8 Jul 2003.

1. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

Hi I recently bought an Asus A7N8X-Dlx with the rev. 2 BIOS. I'm running it at 200 FSB sync with memory. The multiplier is set at 11.5, so the CPU is at 2.3GHz. I also bought another stick of GeIL Golden Dragon to run the board in dual channel mode. Well, I benchmarked it, and the 3DM2001 score dropped about 1600 compared to my SOYO KT400, which ran at FSB166x14, 166MHz memory, with only 1 module. I think it's strange that the benchmark actually dropped compared to my SOYO, which ran at lower FSB/memory freqs. If you know, I was wondering what I can change in the BIOS to achieve at least better than I did before...

2. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

Well the big problem was the drivers. I think I must've installed directx9.0 after the nForce and ATI drivers, so after fixing up the p-hucked ones, it rose my score from 14.4k to 17.2k. That seems to be nice...but if anyone knows any other tweaks to squeeze out some more power, let me know.

3. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

I'm still playing with mine, I know their is an uberclocker bios out there somewhere (dont have link) that supposedly lets you do much more with the board.

I'm runnin a Barton 2500+200fsb at 11x with
    1x Mushkin Pc3200 512mb, I need another to get that dual channel action!

Also, anyone know if the MCX462+ with an 80mm fan would be quieter than my Aeroflow? (36cfm TMD)

4. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

I spotted a VGA mode in the BIOS that was set to PCI, so I put it to AGP. Then I installed the new Catalyst 3.5's, and let me tell you, these are the best I've tested! I busted out 17908...:hip:

5. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

sorry to break in on your performance thread j`won but i notice in your sig you have "1024MB PC3500 GeIL Golden Dragon Dual-DDR" - is this 2 x 512MB dimms? I'm having problems with 512MB dimms in an older revision a7n8x and i'm wondering if you've had any issues?

apologies again

6. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

No problem at all, this thread is all about A7N8X. I have 2x512MB modules running in DIMM#1 and DIMM#3. I have not had any issues with the memory, but I've heard this board is very picky, and you'd need to buy "name brand" memory...but I'm not sure. What kind of issues are you having?

The only real problem I've come across within my 18 hours of having this board is that in 3DMark03, when it tries to initialize the Mother Nature test, it freezes on the splash loading screen. I've tried changing video drivers and going to 4xAGP, but it still freezes. This didn't happen with my SOYO board, so it is definately something to do with the motherboard. Anyone have any ideas?

7. Lightning

well, i have a thread here about my tale of woe: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35215

the long and short is

- 2 x 256MB PC3200 DIMMs - rock solid at 2-2-2-2T
    - upgrade to 2 x 256MB PC3200 DIMMs, unstable as all hell, cant boot above 2-3-2-2T
    - 1 DIMM faulty, RMAd
    - 1 DIMM not faulty, in slot 1, still having same problems

its been suggested its power thats at fault, so i am going to get a 460W enermax psu next week and see if it resolves the issue, but i am just thinking ahead incase i need to upgrade the mobo to a rev.2

cheers :)

Last edited: 8 Jul 2003
  8. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

I found the Über 1004 BIOS for the A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0. They gave me a small performance boost compared to the regular 1005 BIOS. ALSO, they fixed my problem with 3DMark03 freezing on the Mother Nature test...YUS! Do you have deluxe or regular, and rev1 right? I could find the Über version for your board, and maybe that'll fix any problems...

9. Lightning

hmmm, nice idea :) its the deluxe version, and yes its rev1 :)

10. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

You could try flashing to these...if you'd like.

11. Lightning

cool! many thanks :)

I'm on call this week, and as this box is also my gateway i'm not going to touch it right now :) ammusingly its running rock solid right now with an old 128MB pc2100 dimm i found heh

i'll try flashing the bios after i've replaced the psu if that doesnt work - how easy is it to flash? i wrote off my dvdrom/cdrw a few weeks ago flash upgrading the rom so i'm kinda nervous about it ;)

Last edited: 9 Jul 2003
  12. j`w0n

j`w0n What's a Dremel?

Flashing the BIOS is very very simple. All you need to do is download awdflash, available here, and put awdflash.exe and the .bin flash file on a seperate floppy disk. Then you need to boot from a startup disk to get into DOS command prompt, and put in your flash floppy disk you made. Once in A:, type "dir" to show the files, and type "awdflash.exe xxxx.bin /ff" with xxxx being the name of the .bin file. /ff is supposed to speed the process up. Be careful though, as it can be risky sometimes.