1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by REdefined, 9 Jul 2003.

1. REdefined

REdefined What's a Dremel?

I have a question about sleeving PSUs. On most of the articles I have read, they suggest using a hot blade to cut the sleeving in order to keep the ends from fraying. This seems like a good idea, but after you cut the end, they melt together, making it hard to expand the sleeve to fit over the wires [not the last set of wires, but say the first set, closest to the PSU itself] This may seem like a simple question, but how do you get the sleeving on the first set of wire without the ends fraying???

Thanks
    Andrew

2. kong

kong cnc-guy

Now this is something I keep meaning to do, but haven't. i was thinking you would just use some large diameter heat shrink tubing to tidy it all up. Or failing that, you could always go careful with yer lighter?!

3. Supercool

Supercool Gone.

I put the braiding over a fairly thick metal pipe so it was stretched enough to get over the cables, then cut it (whilst still on the pipe) with a hot blade, left it to cool then putt it off the pipe and the opening of the braiding is nice and wide, then when it's in place just crunch up the melted end of the braiding and whack a bit of heatshrink over it to tidy up :)

4. Carbon

Carbon Banned

i was going to do this to my psu, ive got the braiding and some heat srink aswell i found a tutorial Here

5. REdefined

REdefined What's a Dremel?

Supercool, that sounds like a good idea, I think I might try that out, thanks alot for the suggestion!!