1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Eject!
    There are no repair mechanisms. I don't think ships this size will ever get them - multi-crewed ships may be able to self-repair to an extent if you send somebody to go fix it. Saying that, if an engine has been blown of, well, it isn't coming back without a shipyard.

Does make you think about how fragile our fighters are going to be though.

2. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Has anyone got through all 15 waves yet?

I consistently get to wave 9 before perishing. My record is wave 10 (almost) - I'd just shot down the last ship of wave nine, twisted through it's debris field, only to find there was a Hornet at the other side flying directly towards me. I swerved just enough to bounce off him, and he survived while I went spiralling in to the station. :duh:

3. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

6 is my limit currently, with 4 attempts :(
    Thats with the 300i, i think in the Hornet, being more liberal with rockets it shouldnt be hard to do much better. My first time in the 300i i got to wave 6 and i'd lost 2 lives in the first wave. Havent tried the Aurora yet (aside from when controls were screwed up, as its the closest ship to test in).

In terms of fragility, i think if anything, the current game mode shows a false impression, i mean you can wipe out a dozen Scythe without too much trouble, and you're more likely to crash into something than be shot down. When MP is available, i think its going to be something entirely different, and reminiscent of games like BF where sometimes you're just killed before you've done anything of merit. Thats going to be the PU, except instead of insta-respawn and going back into the fight, you've had to pod away and wait to be picked up if similar happens.
    Right now we're just playing against intentionally dumbed down AI to give us something to experience. The Scythe are class 1 fixed weapon ships, compared to our gimbal weapons which track, missiles which pack a serious punch, and give that to pilots who're familiar and skilled at combat, they'll do a lot more damage than these Scythe currently do, so im wondering just how fragile we'll be when we get to the PU, even in packs.
    Right now, the only thing i feel fragile against is all those floating & flying solid objects, not so much their weapons (later wave missile attacks aside). Against other people, assisted targeting, thats when it'll get tough.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Level 5 in the Aurora last night, although it took 1/2 hour to get 1st kill.
    Got off the mark much quicker in the Hornet tonight, but only reached level 4. Early days, though.

I must refrib the key bindings - X52 profile doesn't have eject!
    I think I'll move "Fire Group 2" to pinky & use that guarded button for eject.
    Still getting "cycle camera" bound to the pinky trigger, that can go on the throttle mouse button.

Top of list though, is to make/buy a more stable mount for X52 - just sitting on a sliding keyboard tray is not helping!

Also thinking of buying 315p :worried:

5. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, i got around to making a makeshift solution for my X55 and its a lot lot better.
    Im in a completely different situation though, as my chair has mountable sections so i've been able to use the screw holes in the corner to screw into some wood and its clamped to the steel mount which is part of the chairs setup, and it feels so much better.
    It almost makes me wish i'd gone with the Warthog as there was a mount designed purely for that in center stick, which would have been far less cumbersome than what ive got currently ($$ and concern that a realistic stick might not have some of the functionality a fictional stick could include, put me off).

How you'd mount them onto a regular tabletop i dont know, i know velcro is very popular, but i wouldnt fancy a section of velcro attached to my tabletop when i was using a regular desk, its like they need to make an optional clamp system, like all racing wheels have built in, so they can be fastened to the edge of a desk nice and tight.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, completed level 15 in the 300i yesterday. Finished the final wave after about 1:15 flying time, and on final ship was a bit of a wreck. Weapons were regularly overheating, and I'd lost some thrusters and one of my wingtip guns.

Paul, I've got the Warthog mounts for my Obutto :)

As for table mounting, heavy duty velcro is the way forwards, and turn resistance on the throttle to minimum. The Warthog throttle is heavy enough to actually stay in place when you do this.

7. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

New patch out, around 2 gig.

8. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Found this at the bottom of the freelancer page.

Do not be surprised if you log on to find a Deluxe Hangar! We have temporarily upgraded all Hangars to display the two The Next Great Starship finalists. Check them out and decide which you like best; the winner will be determined via live vote during the TNGS finale tomorrow at 3 PM PST!

9. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Four Horseman ship looks sweet in game :)

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Reached with 15 in little under 1hr 30 mins in 300i. You have more chance of crashing than been shot down. Control wise mouse and keyboard is my preferred route at the min, feels like its been designed with that in mind.

Tried with 360 controller that was bad wave 8 before I crashed into sumit. Can't get my x52 working the way I want it so hit something at wave 4.

Overall pretty good enough it's not overly stable. Had 3-4 hard crashes with little to no reason. Game is not using a lot of vid memory (1.2gb only) and seems pretty stable in the 50-60fps range with SLI disabled. Game will not run under SLI even tried making profiles no joy.

All in all a short but sweet intro lets hope the next module is quicker than this took.

11. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I know, im very envious. I think depending on how things go, i might end up getting one in the future, as theres just no getting around the fact how inconvenient it is mounting the x55 in center on the Obutto.
    Im going to find a proper solution for mounting them, maybe use some 3mm steel sheet and weld some nuts and powder coat it so it matches the R3v.

Ive traded in my Ghost & Tracker Hornets ($265) for a MIS and Cutlass ($265 - result!) purely because i want a good nosy at the MIS, and the cutlass temporarily comes with the Deluxe hangar, which im not a big fan of its lighting, but fits 3 ships into a space similar in size to 1 in the Business hangar, and when you have 7 ships, plus 3 AC loaners (not to mention TNGS ships) having the 3 loaners right where you spawn, instead of running past an Aurora and 300i to get into the Hornet, or to look at the beauty of the others.

I dont intend on keeping either, but its better than having 2 more Hornets in there, and i'll borrow a Deluxe hangar for a while (Asteroid hangar will be nice to look at depending when its done).

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last edited: 7 Jun 2014
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

One could clamp a piece of ply to the desk, with the velcro stuck to that? or even screw the parts to the ply?:dremel:

I wouldn't use MDF, as it's not structurally sound enough for this.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2014
  14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Thank-You and Thank-You! Finally figured out how to fire missiles from my Thrustmaster T1600M but the controls probably need adjusting for optimal settings. I'll have a read of those links latter or just get Cei to sort out my problems! :D

Had a really good session on the Dying Star level just now. Turned the lights off on my Aurura and hid in the debris field. Seem to have a second sight for avoiding asteroids in pitch black ignoring the collision detection warning. I think this skill is going to be invaluable in my future Star Citizen piracy efforts!

15. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

This alpha is more stable than BF4 and Watchdogs! Also it looks lovely. I might need to acquire a fighter as the Aurora feels like a bus.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just found that if you keep holding down the missile fire button then the camera switches to an outside view alongside the missile until it hits the designated target!

17. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

I think tank is more appropriate. That thing can take a whole lot of damage. Can't dish out much.

My personal best is wave 9 in a Hornet after about 4 goes (one in the Aurora). Having a blast with it. Heaps of complaints on the RSI forums, but I like the way it feels personally. I wonder how much I'll struggle once I'm in the Hornet Ghost instead and no longer have chainguns.

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Something that has been in Ace combat among others for about 5-6 games for the record. Its something you only use when vs AI controlled people its a waste of space vs players as you lose control of the plane your flying whilst watching a missile lol.

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Bad news everyone!
    I succumbed to the Freelancer variants sale, buying a DUR model.
    Sadly, I'm away from my PC this weekend, so may not be able to kick the tyres on the TNGS finalists whilst they're in my hangar. :(

To use the universal car analogy, I see the 300i as a BMW 5-series, the Aurora as a Toyota pickup (proven indestructible by Top Gear 3 years ago), and the Hornet as a Humvee.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I added the DUR upgrade to my Lancer too. As tempting as the MIS variation is I'm all about the exploration, with a side helping of trading, rather than the pew, pew if I'm honest.