1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Compaq 6715b won't Post

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by 3lusive, 9 Jun 2014.

1. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

OK people I have a friends laptop which won't post.

If the charger and laptop battery are connected at the same time, the laptop tries to boot but can't and gets stuck in a cycle. The power lights on the laptop come on and the fan starts, but after a couple of seconds they go off and will not post to bios.

I have checked the mobo and have replaced the mobo CR2032 battery which had some rust on it, but this has changed nothing.

I have checked the other components but can't detect anything obvious. No beep codes can be heard.

The laptop was bought in 2008 so is out of warranty.

Any ideas?

2. Deders

Deders Modder

What happens if the battery is taken out of the equation?

Some laptop batteries degrade to the point that the laptop won't switch on with it installed, time for a new battery.

3. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

No difference, it still tries to boot by itself but can't and gets stuck in a loop without posting to bios...

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

when you changed the cr2032 did you try leaving it out for a while?

to be honest it does sound toast though, especially as it's not giving you any beep codes at all.

5. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Have you replaced the thermal goop on the heatsink(s)?

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've fixed some weird things in the past by pulling all power and the cmos battery for 20 minutes, seems to work when a cmos reset fails.

Otherwise pull out and reseat everything. If that fails unplug stuff until you reach a point that you get post.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you're feeling adventurous you can disassemble the entire laptop and try to boot the thing with the motherboard outside the case. That will mitigate unusual problems such as an errant paper-clip shorting the motherboard etc.

Don't laugh, I've fixed a "dead" laptop by removing a staple from the motherboard before now - it happens.