1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress ZdMods | Project 720 | Started on the top - Oct 17

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Meelobee, 12 Dec 2013.

1. y0gi

y0gi What's a Dremel?

Sweet man, this is gonna look amazing! :thumb:

2. TheViscountGodrich

TheViscountGodrich Wannabe modder.

Whats your color scheme plan? I think it might almost be kinda cool to keep the asus formula/direct cu II look for the inside of the build.
    Amazing work. Congrats and subbed.

3. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys, very happy with the sponsorship from Asus.

I'm leaning to Anthracite / grey metal for the platework and white/grey or lightgrey/dark grey for the sleeving. The black and red asus combo has got to go, too many builds with that combo already. The mobo cover might get a paint too :)

4. Meelobee

[​IMG]

Oh man I couldn't be happier right now, after some talks Corsair decided to sponsor this build too and wow when they decide to help, they do it good.. They have send me a big box full of parts, way more than I could imagine!

[​IMG]

The box was filled with:

16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum (CMD16GX3M4A2400C10)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2x Light bar upgrade for the memory modules
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2x Neutron GTX 240Gb SSD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10x Corsair AF120 LED Fan White
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much Corsair! Harry you rock!:thumb:

Even though the 720 is a big case I still managed to run into a problem with the space. Below the midplate there is not enough room to put the pump and reservoir next to eachother, both are quite big (D5 pump with Aquacomp top & Aqualis 880Ml res) so I've ordered an adapter that allows the pump to be installed directly onto the reservoir.

And to complete the hardware I've also ordered the following parts:

- Aquaero 6 XT USB Fan-Controller :cooldude:
    - Aquaero Flow sensor "high flow USB" G1/4

These and the adapter should arrive somewhere next week :)

Last edited: 3 May 2014
  5. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Nice parts and congrats!

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Congrats on your great sponsorships Martijn!

7. hero1

hero1 Minimodder

Keep up the good work Meelobee and congrats on the sponsors.

8. Meelobee

Thanks guys, very happy with those two big sponsors, I hope I can live up to their expectations :)

[​IMG]

Another hardware update. I had these parts on my wishlist for a loooong time and now I finally bought them;

Came home yesterday and was greeted by my neighbour who had received a package for me

The package contained:

An adapter to connect the D5 Pump/top combo to the Aqualis 880ml res. Before I had this adapter both the pump and res were stand alone units, now they are one giant unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also got an Aquaero XT USB touch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a High Flow USB sensor
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After installing the pump to the res I wanted to see the fountain effect in the res, so I made a small loop to check it out.. The pump is running on full speed forcing alot of air into the pump, creating alot of foam in the res. I hope to solve this by either filling the res with more liquid, and by running the pump on a slower speed. (through the controller)

For now it's just an insane whirl of bubbles, turning EK Clear blue into a Pastel blue.. :eeek:

9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Lol of course you are getting bubbles with a D5 at full speed and no slowdown due to blocks and rads. You're pumping maybe 200 or 300 liter per hour through those waterfall holes now.

10. Meelobee

Yeah I know, restiction and a slower speed of the pump will fix it :)

I've installed the pump/res combo and the PSU. Hope to get more work done this weekend, for now just this one pic of how the case looks at the moment:

[​IMG]

11. AlderonnX

AlderonnX Minimodder

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Delicious!:D I can't wait to see the last louver in place. It looks like you have to put the res/louver assembly in first, then sneak the mobo tray in from the back.
    I kind of wonder how it would look with the entire motherboard louvered over, or even if it can be done.:worried: If you could pull that off, it would be insane-er looking.:rock:

13. Meelobee

Yeah about those midplates... Unfortunately they do not all fit.. :(
    The idea was to cut the top plate, so it would wrap around the memory and mobo, but the memory is too big/bulky. If I cut away the aluminium to clear the memory it will cut the plate in half..So this won't work and the top plate is out. So 5 plates, but the 5th plate is right in front of a fitting, which would require a weird hole in the plate to make it fit. (with 6 plates this wouldn't have been an issue, because the top plate would hide the hole.) So that won't work either. So 4 plates it is, not wrapping around the mobo anymore, I'll save that for a future build...

[​IMG]

Anyway on with the show, it's been a while again and in the mean time I bought a better backdrop for my pictures. So from now on some of my pics will look a bit more decent (Not all, cause it's quite some work to setup the 'photoboot')
    I've used the backdrop to make some pics with the current state of the build

I've added 2 angled pieces in the top of the case, they will hold a 360 slimline radiator and they add to the structure of the case. This alows the top top come off which will be usefull later on when filling the loop.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Aquaero Controller also needs a place, in the front of the case isn't an option, so I came up with this
    [​IMG]

Measured the controller, put it in Sketchup, exported it to Layer and printed it on a sticker so I could cut/file it into shape
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after some cutting and filing this is the result
    [​IMG]

:dremel:

Last edited: 14 Jun 2014
  14. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

So clear aluminium work I love it!

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That looks bloody spot on in terms of fitting Martijn!

16. Meelobee

Yep it exactly fits, the front of the controller snaps into the aluminium panel :)

17. sprintdmc

sprintdmc What's a Dremel?

I Love the attention to detail and great design, looking forward to seeing it all come together.

18. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thats a nice spot for the controller :)

19. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

ooooooooooh look at all dem toys!!! and the glow-rods on the front! and touch controller! and and...

GREAT BUILD!

/sub

20. Old Nikon

Old Nikon What's a Dremel?

Superb build. Keenly watching this build. As I have a spare Dell XPS 930i which is practically new condition. ( Still has the plastic wrap on the sides) Was going to Ebay it.

But maybe I should ask Melobee if he would like too mod it,,,,now there's a thought!! ??