1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF? Terminator 3 rated 12A?

Discussion in 'General' started by NuTech, 12 Jul 2003.

1. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Looking through the BBFC website the other day, I noticed they posted the rating of Terminator 3 as 12A. Thinking it's a mistake (BBFC's website has a lot of those), I click the link and read the concise "Contains strong language and violence". Yup a mistake.

But today at the cinema I noticed all the T3 posters had '12A' printed on them.

After doing a quick search in the internet, it looks like I was wrong. Somebody on a T3 forum emailed the BBFC querying the certificate and got a reply basically stating it's no mistake, Terminator 3 has been passed 12A uncut.

The same person then emailed Sony thinking it was one of those 'pre-cut jobbies with advice from the BBFC'. Sony replied it's the complete uncut R-rated movie.

Weird or what. Has such mixed ratings ever happened before?

2. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

12A? Is that like PG-13? But for 12 yr olds?

If so, it's probably mostly the american tightasses who made it rated R. I don't see why it's rated R at all. I've seen worse rated PG. w00t for liberals
    :sigh:

3. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

You know I was getting worried about that. I read Empire which mentioned an R certificate and I was thinking that it would be a good adult content film. Then I noticed the poster for the UK with a 12A rating and was distinctly worried we were going to get a watered down version, after all Terminator shouldn't be suitable for 12 year olds ;)

4. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

Its not that voilent, nothing a 12 year old would be upset about.

5. ernie

ernie What's a Dremel?

totally agree with ubermich, i remember taking my cousin to watch congo cause it was rated pg-13.
    o m g
    the monkeys were killing people ripping people's eyes out then throwing them around, blood everywhere. anyway he was young and scared. got fooled by the pg13 rating. ehh the days of the past, no internet for me to check up on reviews before going.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not that violent? WTF? Its not terminator if it wasnt uber violent :( fk sk

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

:waah:

12a ruined so many films :wallbash:

like X-Men 2, went to see that and there were loads of 12 year old girls :confused:
    and some idiot brought a toddler in who kept running around screeching :eyebrow:

8. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

It really wasn't that violent. I can't seem to recall seeing blood... aside from the very beginning when he's treating his wound...

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Not sure if you have any in your area, but around my way there are a few cinemas that have special seating usually at the back in a small alcove/balcony. It's got extra nice sofas, snacks, beer (sometimes) etc. Costs around £10 a ticket.

Also, there are one or two small cinemas which are simply over 12's only (12-18 need a parent/guardian). But these are quite small and the sound isn't very good.

A way to solve this (kids nearly ruined 'The Two Towers' for me. Note to parents: very young children cannot sit through a 3hr movie) could be the 12A certificate should apply only to showings before 8pm and after that they revert back to their '12' certificate, but the way cinemas are going lately, I think they're glad of all the business they can get.

10. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

its like £6 anywhere here :rolleyes:
    12a is just the dumbest idea ever
    if its suitable for < 12's then make it a Pg
    if its not then make it a 12
    simple

although the number of 15's i've been to see and there have been kids that look about 11 in there just takes the piss

i think under 15's should be limited to seeing Disney films :p
    but thats only because im 16 :D

11. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Took my entire family to it, thats myself, mom, a 10 yr old girl, an 8 yr old girl and a 5 yr old boy. They loved it. The only thing that they really don't understand in the movie was the gay stripper.

The violence wasn't anything they haven't seen before on TV and I felt completely comfortable with them seeing it. The Terminator has the no kill programming built into him now, so the blood was very minimized. Just plenty of explosions and such.

Parents make the final ruling, not the studios and not government.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

How do u account for stupid parents though? Personally i prefer to go see films WITHOUT kids there. Although, having seen the matrix with grown people acting like children i have 2nd thoughts on that now :grr:

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

tbh i think its not so much the content of the film that should decide the rating, as kids see violence and sex and stuff on tv anyway, but the target audience
    i enjoy a film less when theres lots of kids running around screamin/chatting/playing with mobiles (depending on age)
    maybe they should have showings for under 15's and showings for over 15's
    that'd solve it :D

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No it is the film content totally. The BBFC has a "F" count for the amount of times fk is used, and other lists to apply to movies.

The director also has a list, and will dumb something down accordingly (or bribe the necessary people id imagine - lots of money to make of big budget movies) to target the right (read bigger) audience and get more money.

15. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i know, but it shouldn't be :p

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

hmm.

I recon they should have a "no children" policy after 8-9pm or something.

17. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

What's with you guys and kids? Does the management not give a **** about kids running around their theatres??? I've never had an experience like that where the kid wasn't promptly dealt with...

18. Silence

Silence What's a Dremel?

Amen about the kiddy situation, but then selfish pig ignorance isn't limited to the under 18s.

Example, myself and a few friends went to see '8 Mile'. All was fine, but during some of the quiter moments my concentration was broken by the unmistakable sound of someone typing on their phone.

This was soon replaced by the same person (a girl, about 20ish) talking to the bloke next to her. She was talking loud enough for us to hear, word for word, what she was saying over the other side of the cinema.

One of my mates, not as blessed with patience as I am, scurried off to have a polite word with her, and to ask her to stop. He asked nicely, she scoffed at him, but stopped talking.

For 30 seconds.

This time, she starts phoning someone, telling them about "this **** who told her to be quiet in the cinema". A few other people started 'shushing' her, and my mate went over again to ask her, again politely, to be quiet or go outside to make the call. Her bloke stood up, puffing his chest up, and starts shouting at my mate, whilst she starts screaming more swear words than Eminem did in that whole film.

My mate was understandably shocked by this (and he later told me he thought the bloke was about to hit him), but thankfully two other guys in the audience interjected, while someone called an usher. The man and woman were ejected (albeit slowly), shouting all the way. We missed about 15 minutes of the film, all because two people considered themselves better than all of us.

Still, it seems that karma is beginning to work more quickly nowadays, we noticed that the girl had left her handbag and her shopping behind. :D

Silence

"Shut up, or i'll have you all spayed!"

19. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

the only time any staff ever intervened was when these little kids snuck in to Cradle 2 The Grave through the fire exit
    and then all they did was taking to the front and make them buy tickets :eyebrow:

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Went to see matrix reloaded in filmworks in manc at the 11pm showing (big mistake). 2 groups of lads were drunk and talked loudly on their phones for the whole movie. Bouncers removed 3 of them, but it took a good 40 mins and completely ruined the film as they continued to hurl abuse at anyone who told them to be quiet. :grr:

WTF is the point of coming to see a movie if ur gonna sit there and talk to ur m8s on the phone the whole time??? :wallbash: