1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Steam PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TobletDanillio, 15 Jun 2014.

1. TobletDanillio

TobletDanillio Minimodder

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking to make a media center/ Steam PC.
    I would like to be able to play 1080p games on the TV and have it quiet for when watching movie of playing music.

My budget is around £1200-1400 I would like to be getting this at the end of this month.

The spec I'm currently thinking to get is;

Intel i5-4690K
    Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12
    Asus Z97I-PLUS
    Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866
    Crucial M500 M.2 240GB
    Crucial MX100 512GB
    Corsair 250D
    SeaSonic SS-660XP2
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 GAMING

What would you guys recommend to change and why?

Last edited: 23 Oct 2014
  2. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

3. TobletDanillio

4. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

5. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

You should have a look at the new Pentium. It's an overclockable dual-core for just over £50. Pretty much perfect for your needs and will save you £100. As for another SSD, you should have a look at the new Crucial MX100's. They are really cheap and plenty fast. I think the 512GB version is £150 and pretty much as fast as anything else out there.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Also, if you do go mitx, I can recommend the Corsair 250D.

7. TobletDanillio

I do like the Prodigy case but is too big for a itx build. The coolermaster is a good case and would have it but if i remember rightly it let noise out.

I haven't seen the MX100 will have to look at that.
    I will have a look at the Corsair 250D and reviews are very good but I'm not sure where it would go... as it will be next to the TV. :/

8. TobletDanillio

The MX100 look like a very good ssd so I will most likely get one of them.

I'm looking to future proof this PC as much as I can so the Pentium processor is a little under what I would like. Although it does look good of a budget CPU

9. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

That's fair enough about the Pentium, just thought I'd put it out there.

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I don't think pairing a 4670k and a GTX 650 is a good idea. That's a massively powerful and expensive CPU alongside a cheap and fairly budget GPU.

Lets say you flog the 650 for £40. Together with the £160 you would have spent on the 4670k, you could buy a 760K and a 270X which would net you FAR better framerates.

Alternatively you could go Intel i3 4350 and 750ti for the same money.

Additionally, 8GB of RAM will be fine. I was playing Star Citizen (Cryengine) AND encoding a video yesterday and I only was only using 5GB.

As others have said, I highly recommend going ITX (oh here Parge goes again)! For me, huge tower PCs just look totally out of place in the living room (admittedly this is personal opinion). A nice little ITX case like the FT03B Mini looks absolutely stunning (or of course the Corsair 250D). You could even think about a proper HTPC case like the one I've just built (mine will be in the living room too!)

[​IMG]

I appreciate that the above isn't what you are asking about, but thought I'd throw that out there anyway :)

11. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

ANY bitpheonix case and you'll be set. As far as MOBOs go I'd stick with something from the ROG lineup. PSU would recommend any quiet or seasonic. You're only going to need a 450W.
    I would also recommend something a little better than a 650. The MSI r9 280 is in the EUR 180 range which would have you set for pretty good frame rates at high details some ultra.

12. TobletDanillio

Yeah its a nice little CPU I was think about that for my parents.

I know the GPU will be a massive bottleneck but I will replace it at some point but I will keep it to start off. I was thinking about the I3 to save money but its only like £50 more for a I5 and it should last me longer.

I have 8GB in my PC and I have only hit 8GB once and I was doing a lot to hit it. So I may just keep with 8GB unless its cheap to upgrade to 16GB.

I currently have a cooler master elite 342 and it sits on the shelf of the TV stand (on its side) which is fine as its out the way and easy to get too. I don't know if we will keep this TV stand when we move (later this year) so I'm not worried if it doesn't fit but I don't want something much bigger than the current case

I don't know much about HTPC cases that why I haven't posted that but if you could recommend a few that would be great :)

The FT03B Mini does look great but I dont thing thr Be quiet would fit lol its not the smallest thing.

I have to say I do love be quiet as well they are quiet and the Dark rock is very cool. When I put the 400w seasonic it was only due to the fanless I think I will go for something at 600w so I can get a better GPU without having to upgrade the PSU aswell. maybe the Seasonic Platinum 660W (SS-660XP2).

13. RagingMadman

That's honestly not necessary.
    A fan-less seasonic will probably be plenty. There are plenty companies that are offering pre-built systems with GTX titan Zs with only a 600W PSU if that puts anything into perspective.
    I was running 2 GTX 780s off a 750. You'd really only need a 450-550w powersupply.
    UNLESS you're looking for a larger PSU that has a silent mode. I am aware that there are some PSUs that can run with the fan shut off until they hit 40%-50% load in which case that'd be a good idea.

14. TobletDanillio

ok I know that some corsair PSU do so i will have a look around

15. RagingMadman

NP. I would personally recommend EVGA, Seasonic, or bequiet for a PSU.
    Had a bad bad run in with a corsair psu so i shy from them. But that is your results may vary

16. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

get a AIO water coller for you CPU and/or GPU and use some of these fans:
    Deep Silence 120mm
    Since I swapped them out from the stock fans on my H80 my Gigabyte 580 is now the loudest component in my PC. Any one who has used a x3 airforce cooler can tell you its one of the quitest GPU coolers.

17. TobletDanillio

I used a cx430m in a mates pc and wasn't very happy with it but was happy with my hx600 (think thats it) but the fan can be noisy

I would like to water cool it but don't really need to atm plus I have my Be Quiet Topflow which I will use till I want to heavy overclock or if I want it to run cooler.

18. TobletDanillio

Just looked it up that the Be Quiet top flow will only fit if i don't have a cd drive. so I may get a Corsair H80i

19. TobletDanillio

This has been put on hold due to my wife losing her job :(

20. TobletDanillio

Updated first post