1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Ducky Zero Bites The Dust, Thoughts? (Mechanical Cherry MX)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C4FF, 17 Jun 2014.

1. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Hey everyone!

After some great recommendations on this forum around a year ago (to the day almost) I bought a Ducky Zero DK2108.

It was great, I loved it even, we had a great relationship for a man and his first mechanical keyboard.

Sadly, something went wrong. Albeit down to a drop of tea or god knows what, various keys no longer work (including but not limited to num0, g, h, space ' and up arrow).

Anyway long story short I popped her open and everything seemed pretty clean, but i still got off any crap I could find but still the same keys are gone. It is indeed a sad day for keyboard kind.

So, I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Could it be fixed and for roughly how much? (I'm willing to post it to one of you guys if you wanna have a poke at it)
    2. What should I be considering next? (I will go TKL if I can be convinced it's the right thing to do! Backlight would be nice but I'm not fussed about RGB)
    3. What do you guys think of this HHKB price on eBay? Legit? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PFU-Happy...80?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item25905ffe50

So yeah, that's about it! Sad sad times. :( Hope someone can help! I'll be happy to post this in the mechanical keyboard thread if you guys think it'll get a better response!

Caff.

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

1. Almost certainly it can be fixed, I've repaired similar in the past. As long as you cover postage and enough for a round at the local, I'm happy to have a pop for you.

2. Are you a gamer or a typist first and foremost? Considered a 60% model?

3. I think all Topre keyboards are a massive ripoff. Nice typing experience for way too much money. That's my only comment on that ;)

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Sorry to hear about your loss!

I would say that my HHKB is the best board that I have ever owned, I miss it a lot and I regularly think about buying another! If you just want typing heaven and aren't fussed about LEDs, coloured caps etc then get the HHKB, I can almost guarantee that you will love it.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I would definitely say to give fixing the Ducky a whirl first but if it's definitely dead (which it probably isn't) then the HHKB is a lovely board but, in my opinion, NOT for gaming (I just can't muscle memory my little finger to where the control button is in the middle of a frantic game). Smart Imports (the company you linked to on eBay) is where I got mine and they are definitely legit :thumb: (they also have their own website - smartimports.net)

5. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Thanks dude, I'm just deciding what to do at the moment. I think I'll fire you off a pm! :) What 60% models do you speak of?

Thanks for the praise of the HHKB guys, I know I wouldn't be making a mistake buying one but I do need to use the keyboard for gaming so maybe I need that ctrl in the bottom left. Hmmm...

Any other thoughts? :)

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I would offer to fix for you, but I have a list of about 10 keyboards that would be in the queue in front of you so it would take an age :D

HHKB keyboard is great for everything. I use mine for most things, and all my others keyboards I have physically modded, or are programmable, so have the same layout as the hhkb. With the exception of my old boards which I don't use.

7. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Thanks Margon, I'm so tempted by the HHKB but it's so nice up here on the fence! :p

Are there any other topre at a better price in the uk? How about getting keycaps for them? :)

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Topre isn't about changing keycaps :D They are all expensive, pbt, and normally just come in solid colours. then there is clacks, bro's and gasmasks. That's about it!

You could get a type heaven, but it's pants. Or you could try a leopold fc660c, which is a nice little board ,but with abs caps and not pbt. Or you could get a realforce, but they are massive, but still very nice, have a metal plate, very nice for typing on.

9. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

Well I don't mind solid colours and stuff like that, I feel like i'd want to blank my qwerty and keep my special characters printed but that's just me. I guess you get used to blanks after a million mistakes! ;)

Any chance you could do me a favour and find the price of each of those boards? I can't find ANYTHING for that leopold or the realforce (also, wondering if you can beat that price on the HHKB seeing as you seem to be the guy to ask :p).

Thanks for the help so far, as for the ducky... I wonder if someone would be interested in a swap for some nice topre caps if I made the switch... :D :D

10. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Where are you based C4FF?

11. C4FF

C4FF What's a Dremel?

UK, West Sussex. Sorry I thought I mentioned that! :)