1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus to unlock overclocking on non Z-series motherboards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 18 Jun 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Now THIS is interesting news.. If the review for the Pentium is good, i'll start suggesting that with an Asus mobo & a 750Ti for all my console friends that are interested in PC gaming! It could work out quite cheap, too! Considering the MX100's low price for a SSD...

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

It's a nice idea but components and the power circuitry on their Z97 boards are specifically designed for overclocking, so I am a little apprehensive just how much performance is going to be accessible on the non-Z97 boards.
    Still, the more they offer the better. It may even help to bring the prices down of Z97 even further as overclocking may not be such a stand out feature any more. Only reviews will have the answers.
    In all honesty though I think I will still be going for the new ITX Impact VII.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

^^ quote from asus

5. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I doubt that it is specifically designed for overclocking over other boards. Just marketing.

6. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Don't get too excited.

I imagine that this will only do Multiplier Overclocking which means the Base Clock will be Automatically controlled (i.e. it will fluctuate) - from my experience this means Instability!

Personally I do not welcome this change! I couldn't imagine anything worse than trying to overclock on a motherboard with insufficient power circuitry and no VRM cooling.

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Should be ok on the H87M-Plus I have but then again I don't have the Pentium chip and I don't really need to go overclocking my i5.

Tags: Add Tags