1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Perennial P182

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DeMoB, 27 Mar 2014.

1. hanssx2

hanssx2 Minimodder

aaarhh that sucks, if something like this gets broken.

Did you try to fix it with acrifix? Or do you gonna make a new one ?

2. DeMoB

DeMoB All of my Dremel wheels are broke!

Aquaero Plate Take 2

Figured it was wasn't worth trying to save, as the cracks would have been pretty visible even glued, so I started again.

---

Had to use some of the perspex I was saving for the side panel window on a second attempt, so I hope there's enough left now, else I'll have to get anther whole sheet! >_<

[​IMG]

Lots of careful filing/cutting later, and it is a pretty decent fit...

[​IMG]

I'm going to clean up the edges with some wet & dry, but from a test fit of the whole Aquaero, I think this is going to look pretty damn nice. :D

[​IMG]

3. DeMoB

An Acrylic Rectangle?

More updates, yay!

Next on my agenda was to cut out an acrylic rectangle..

[​IMG]

Just what I need. :)

But what's it for?!

[​IMG]

Spent a good half hour attacking it with some P400 sandpaper to give it a frosted look, which when combined with these...

[​IMG]

Will light up pretty nicely...

[​IMG]

:D

Now to just have another go at soldering these LED strips. >_<

Hopefully I can do a bit cleaner job this time, but I'm going to have to make a few adjustments to the cutouts before I can do that, I didn't realise I was covering my cable cutouts at the bottom when I measured up!

4. DeMoB

Motherboard Lights!

Got the soldering done :-D

Think this one deserves another video, photos don't do it justice!

5. DeMoB

Custom GA-Z87X-UD3H Black Edition

Not even one person liked the motherboard lighting enough to comment? :eeek:

Tough crowd!

Small update, painted my GA-Z87X-UD3H's I/O and heatsinks from silver/blue...

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the potato picture, didn't have a proper one and had to boost the exposure on an old one too much >_<

to black...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Jun 2014
  6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Very nice work with the motherboard lighting! I've done something similar in my rig and it looks amazing in the dark, fuzzy photo or not! :hehe: And looks great with the all blackness! :thumb:

7. hanssx2

hanssx2 Minimodder

:D well I just saw you vid right now. I don't have a google acc so I can't like, just watch and what I see looks pretty good

8. jimbaw

jimbaw What's a Dremel?

I love the backlit mobo! great idea there

9. DeMoB

Tron Mod?

Cheer man, I think it's going to look even better with the rest of the blocks lit up!

Thanks man, it's pretty mesmerising to watch in real life just pulsating through the colours. :)

Thanks! Putting the diffuser around the lights wasn't something I originally planned, but due to the case black absorbing all the spill light, I realised how good it would actually look.

---

It almost feels like I've missed out on a trick by not naming this build something Tron themed...

[​IMG]

---

In bad news for the mod, good news for me, I get married tomorrow, so finding time to continue this project might be a little harder than normal! >_<

Vognen likes this.
  10. DeMoB

Water Cooling This Card Just Made It Hotter!

Stole some time away from my new bride (while she was out with her parents) to install my EK FC R9-290X waterblock.

Stripped and cleaned the card, including all the permanent marker scrawled on every capacitor. :miffed:

[​IMG]

I chose this block for the looks, and damn it is sexy!

[​IMG]

This block is going to work perfectly with my RGB lights too, it's already pre-frosted on the edges so I don't have to do anything to spoil it.

[​IMG]

Now to just play the waiting game before I can get time to work on it again. >_<

11. Hanoken

Hanoken O.O

The ambient lighting looks wicked, nice one

12. Father Fuzzy

Father Fuzzy What's a Dremel?

Congrats on the wedding

and the lighting is lookin good

13. Farsan

Farsan What's a Dremel?

Cooool. Even its becoming cooler!

PS: i love shining things :p

14. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Congrats on your wedding :)

Looking good, the rgb's under the mobo are a nice touch (might steal that from you ;))
    Shame you had to redo the Aquaero panel. But the new one turned out nice too :) Which version of the Aquaero is it? (For my 720 build I did the same cutout in an 1mm aluminium panel last week)

15. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

looks great so far, good job with the RGB soldering :thumb:

16. DeMoB

Reservoir Logs...

Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it's all coming together. :)

Cheers man! I like to think so too. ;)

I fear that once the mod is complete, I'll spend more time sat admiring my handiwork/lights than actually using the computer. :p

Thanks man. :)

It wasn't a complete loss as I think I was able to do a slightly better job on the panel the second time round. Though the IR port on the left is a bit shoddy compared to the rest (as it's a square hole instead of a round one), but I don't have any small round files.

It's the Aquero 5 XT, which was kindly donated to me by a friend, but I'm hoping that it'll handle pumps and fans without needing the additional water block or a power adjust. We'll see though.

Printing the sticker template to file around was a great idea, I wish you'd have done yours before me so I could have stolen it. :p

Cheers pal! I still think my soldering could be tidier, but fortunately it's all hidden where it's not visible. I'm still a little relieved that I managed to get all the colours working properly. :p

---

I didn't think to take any pictures of the LED/Res combo before installing it, and it's now as good as a permanent fixture in my case, so you'll just have to make do with a picture of the res installed and lit up...

[​IMG]

Nice, eh?

I picked up some rubber trim this time (instead of PVC), and it was flexible enough to be able to trim the 90º corners in one continuous piece, compared to the four separate strips before (which was an unexpected bonus!).

A proper fill port for this res is something I sorely missed when I installed it the first time round, so this will make things a lot easier. I used a QDC and a T-line before this, and it was a nightmare.

Hooking up the fill port up to the res proved to be trickier than I'd anticipated, as I couldn't find a good way to tighten the fittings all at once. I got there in the end (after a fairly big leak from a loose fitting on my test fill), and it fits inside the case like so...

[​IMG]

The case holes lined up perfectly, and the res-to-fill-port gap was bridged with a bitspower 22-31mm adjustable SLI fitting.

Next up is lighting up the GPU block, then I think I'm ready to start wiring some of the final stage cables. :D

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That light behind the mobo has a TRON esque feel to it.
    I like it better than the completely lit mobo trays. This gives just a small light edge. Looks spot on. Works great with the xspc raystorm block.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

That's trully epic and well woth 5 years of modding. I'm a owner of the Antec P182 too and never knew what I could do with it. I will follow this very closely :).

19. DeMoB

Thanks man. The LEDs all seem to be coming together even better than I'd anticipated, and I'm pretty chuffed to be honest. :D

Haha, there seem to be quite a few of us kicking around still, which is pretty impressive considering how old the case is!

20. DeMoB

Why Is This Not A Stock Option?!

Managed to get the RGB LEDs hooked up to my GPU waterblock today, it looks so good I don't know why EK don't offer LED holes in their blocks as standard!

[​IMG]

The RGB strip is just stuck to the block's acrylic with double sided tape, and the RGB wires are soldered a quarter of the way along. I'll take a picture before I install it if anyone is interested.

But once I get time to solder and hook up a custom RGB cable for the graphics card, I'll actually be able to start installing things for real. :D