1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Instead of calling Elite: Dangerous they should have just called it Elite: Now With More Awesome.

2. LeeBoy123

LeeBoy123 What's a Dremel?

This is the only game I've been looking forward to the last few years, when I heard about it on kickstarter I felt like a kid at Christmas :D

3. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

4. GravitySmacked

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Stuff from Newsletter #30:

Crime and Punishment
    Beta 1 sees significant new code systems added that allow authority ships protect law abiding pilots and respond better to crime.

If an authority ship or space station witnesses a crime (it takes place within its radar range), it is “detected” and reported. A number of police vessels will then target the offender and attack. If there are not enough ships available, reinforcements will be called and will hyperspace jump in after a short delay.

If a crime is only reported by the victim, it is classed as “undetected”. In this case, a number of police vessels will be dispatched to the area and scan ships for criminal behaviour. If any is detected, they will attack. Reinforcements will be called in should the threat be large enough to require it.

Crime response is generally carried out by Faulcon de Lacy Viper Mk IIs. It is effective, but not instantaneous. The size and timing of the response is based on the security level of the jurisdiction you are in and the danger level posed by the offender (both bounty level and ship threat).

No-fire zones around star ports stations will become more meaningful in Beta 1, too. The no-fire zone represents the reach of the starport, both in terms of safety and detection, and any crimes committed within the zone are detected. This does NOT include crimes that need a scan to be detected, such as carrying illegal cargo.

Once a crime is detected, if the starport’s own security detail isn’t close enough to respond, then fast response units are dispatched to rain vengeance on any criminal elements in the area!

Fines are also being introduced, to give the authorities a proportionate level of response rather than shooting to kill regardless of the severity of a crime. Minor crimes and non-threatening infractions will incur a fine, which can be paid off to your local space station authority representative.

If you don’t pay off your fines, they will initially attract compound interest and then, once the authorities lose patience with your tardiness they will be converted into a bounty, and lead to you being hunted down.

[​IMG]

6. Parge

I would have thought you could! Would place a pretty bounty on your head though :D

Given that its quite a bit further along, E: Dangerous is garnering more of my attention than SC at the moment! :D

Last edited: 4 Jul 2014
  7. Nexxo

8. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Whats the best way to learn the game ins and outs, I have this game but I have no idea how to do any thing, is there any recommended reading or training lessons?

9. Nexxo

Play the original ELITE. Even if only once. It's a rite of passage. :)

10. GravitySmacked

There are some useful tips over on the Elite Dangerous subbreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/

And some beginners tips here:

http://ragingteapot.blogspot.co.uk/

But the best way is just to get stuck in and learn it as you go along and maybe check out some youtube videos of the different play styles.

11. Parge

TIL: David Braben loves space and the universe A LOT.

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I did. On a BBC Model B. When it first launched. Now get off my lawn!

13. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thinking the same....... But I am confused......

ELITE: DANGEROUS - PREMIUM BETA £100.00

ELITE: DANGEROUS - STANDARD BETA £50.00

ELITE: DANGEROUS - EXPANSION PASS £35.00

The standard Beta + Expansion pass works out £15 cheaper than premium Beta so what extra do you get with premium other than playing now instead of waiting till 29th July....

What am I missing ????

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No. The PB phase is ending shortly (mid July) and moving to the normal Beta. So get that.

15. GravitySmacked

The only thing is the standard beta doesn't come with the lifetime DLC offer as far as I know.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, but you can add the DLC for £35, totalling £85, rather than the £100 of the PB that comes with the DLC. Basically the PB is an additional £15 for the 2 months of earlier access it gave. Because it's ending soon there's no point buying it now.

I've realised I have two copies of E:D, as I have my original Kickstarter edition and my later PB purchase. Oops.

17. Parge

Isn't that what the expansion pass is though?

18. GravitySmacked

Yeah I guess so, not really looked into it. I just remember reading that the lifetime DLC offer ended at the end of July.

19. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

That's the way I read it on the page.... I'll go for it I think. To many tempting videos going up now to resist.

20. GravitySmacked

It's definitely worth joining in, especially if you're a fan of the series. I'm really enjoying my time with it and each update is packed with new content and improvements.

Cei why didn't you just upgrade to the Premium Beta instead of buying from scratch?