1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel confirm 4790K are *JUST* better binned 4770

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harlequin, 3 Jul 2014.

1. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Isn't that how all CPUs work within a family, or am I missing something? Given the minimal difference in price, I'd probably go for the 4790K.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

This what happens when you have no competition. You can do as you wish and still make cash. Your not missing anything that is what happens.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

it is and it isn't - the 4790k isn't actually anything new at all - they are just the `best` of the 4770k renamed with a minor dafualt speed bump

ergo all `good` 4770k can do the same thing.

rollo - your right in the respect that intel doing as they wish but

http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i7-4790k-devils-canyon-processor-review/4/

AMD arnt as `behind` as certain fan sites want you to believe.

5. Shirty

Wasn't the 2500 just a better binned 2300, the E8600 just a better binned E8400, the 3380M just a better binned 3320M?

I thought that was just how it worked.

I don't dispute that in some areas AMD's high end CPUs are comparable to Intel's, but the gap just hasn't been closed enough for me to want to uproot and change teams again yet.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

intel are advertising `devils canyon` as the next big thing - when its actually just what we have now

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Harlequin - was an interesting listen :) I don't think we really expected anything drastically new from Devil's Canyon anyway. It was fairly clear from the pre-launch press material that Intel was peddling better TIM, enhanced power delivery and boosted clock speeds as the primary differences between Haswell and DC. The better TIM certainly makes a huge difference too.

It's actually quite interesting, as they mentioned in the video, that Intel has taken the step of catering for enthusiasts in this way, especially if it's true that in buying a K-series DC chip, you're actually getting a speed-binned i5-4670K or i7-4770K. You could argue that this is more beneficial to the overclocking enthusiasts out there than a tweaked architecture or smaller manufacturing process as both of these have resulted in disappointing CPUs in the past too.

Clearly this is only catering for one side of your average enthusiasts' needs though - we do need better performance as well - be it instructions per cycle or hefty clock speed boosts. While the Core i7-4790K is 500MHz faster at stock speed and is Intel's first 4GHz desktop CPU, it's still essentially only as good a decent Core i7-4770K in terms of overclocking. The difference is you're guaranteed to get a good bit of silicon, and to be able to cool it better too.

8. Shirty

Well, Devil's Canyon does sound cooler than Haswell...

I see they've enabled VT-d and TSX-NI on the new chip as well - useless for most but always nice to have.

I have been researching mobile Ivy CPUs recently and this reminds me of the i5-3380M vs the i7-3520M. The same chip other than 1MB extra cache on the i7 and a hefty price tag haul!

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Pretty sick of the cpu market in truth. Nothing has happened that has made me go wow in years. Sandybridge as good as it was, Was still just a sidegrade from the I7 Series it replaced at the time. A slower Sidegrade if you were using the 6 core cpus that were out at the time as well.

I personally feel if Intel was been pushed by a competitor we would of saw a 6 core cpu in main stream price points by this time.

10. LeeBoy123

LeeBoy123 What's a Dremel?

Well that sucks balls... Intel for you I guess..