1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays My first 4k monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dead beat, 28 Jun 2014.

1. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I've just taken the plunge into 4k (albeit more towards the budget end) with the ASUS PB287. Yes it is a TN panel, but I bought it for the sole purpose of gaming on, with my 30" IPS Dell still being used for photo editing and other colour sensitive work.

Anyway, the reason for this thread is just to give my initial impressions of the monitor. It does suffer the usual TN flaws with regard to viewing angles, however this panel seems to be much improved over TN panels of the past. Unless you are sitting very off axis, the issue is not noticeable. Colour reproduction does seem to be very good too. Unless you were doing photo work, the 8 bit colour would not be an issue at all.

One of the things i'm loving is the sheer amount of desktop real estate. Fortunately I have very good eye site and am enjoying using the monitor without any additional text scaling. Though I expect for a lot of people this would simply not be possible.

Gaming is where this monitor really excels though. The low lag is great after using the Dell IPS and running the latest titles in 4k makes them so immersive.

Anyway, if you are looking for a 60hz 4k monitor for gaming and general desktop computing, I would thoroughly recommend this one. TN panels must have come a long way since my last experience with them.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Sounds good, but you'll need pics to complete the thread! :)

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I still can't afford the GPUs needed to run it!

4. dead beat

I'll see if I can get some uploaded later.

Yes, Even with quad 290s, I still find that I need to have the anti aliasing turned down more in order to get acceptable frame rates. Although the advantage of 4k is that anti aliasing is not really required anyway.

5. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

My thoughts exactly. It'll take a few more generations before mid-range gpus can push around all those pixels comfortably. Kudos for being an early adopter though. :rock:

6. Parge

If I had Quad 290s, I'd definitely want one. It would be the only thing that would actually be a challenge for them.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sounds interesting what's the screen size?

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I have been curious about this for a while now. Hopefully you can help me out. What does a normal desktop on a 4k monitor that's been set 1080p look like? Does it look funky like a clear res mismatch or is it ok or good?

Apophis54 likes this.
  9. Parge

Why would you ever spend the extra cash on a 4k monitor and then do this? :confused:

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Might want to work with the extra res but not want to deal with hardware costs to go native gaming, it's a reasonable request.

I would imagine on a small 4k screen the scaler should make it look OK, assuming its good, much like how a 1080p screen can make 720p from a console look good.

the question is whether it has the full 4k scaler meaning it is able to stretch 1080p over the whole screen rather than one side.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2014
  11. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I assume its this screen Here

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Surely with 1:4 scaling on the pixels, 1080p would look as good on this screen as any other of this size?

13. Parge

He asked what a normal desktop would look like at 1080p......

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

@parge

Because you could game at 4k and also not need a pair of binoculars to use the desktop.

Windows has scaling but it's not perfect. Some applications just ignore it.

Also it's pure curiosity would 1:4 scaling work well on it own or does there need to be rendering software doing things to make things look ok (ala windows native scaling when it works)

As an after though, There's also gaming where there are no sli or crossfire profiles. I remember one of the Assassin's creed titles just not doing anything with my sli config. In fact it may have worked better with sli disabled. I'd like to see a bad port try to run on a 4k screen with no multi gpu configs.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2014
  15. dead beat

If you set scaling to 150% the resulting desktop is identical in picture to if you were using a 1080p screen. Everything remains pin sharp. As has been mentioned, there may be some apps that don't scale too well, but all the Microsoft stuff seems to be fine.

I'm probably not going to bother with scaling. At 28" text is just large enough that I can get away with it. Infact i'm really loving the extra space.

16. dead beat

Yes that's the one.

17. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Pretty much the same story here with the Samsung U28D590D, although I'm gaming with a GTX 760.

I haven't tried anything too recent yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens when I do. I imagine I'll have to play around with the settings a fair bit.

18. bsp

bsp Minimodder

:hehe: :lol: :hehe:

Now back to the review:
    Thanks for your review. I don't think I can manage anything outside of 24" given my distance from the screen. Real estate is nice but I assume that you are sitting far enough back that you can see the whole thing?

19. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

this would probably blow me away you're already used to large with that dell 30".

the ultra wide monitors look interesting as well.

edit: using on sreen keybord,lol cause i disassembled mine and washed it..it got just too gross takes ages to dry.

20. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

I've got 20x 290s that I'm retiring from a mining farm. I'm just stuck trying to find a Z97 board that will fully support 3-way crossfire and not be bandwidth hobbled along the way. Not as easy as I was expecting! :wallbash: