1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

All I would say, is, it's not from the best oem. is just an i-one board. but, if it's your first mech, I don't really think that makes much difference.

2. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've settled on a Ducky Shine TKL (Brown switches, White LED's with those coloured covers) myself, for my first mech.. :lol: It'll only work out at about £120 all in! :thumb:

3. Winkle

Winkle What's a Dremel?

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Still hesitating .. Alps / Cherry ? Alps are pretty cheap but caps are hard to find. Any cheap way to get a bag of Cherry MX switches ? planning a 60% layout

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Kustom PCs do quite a few Ducky models as well, and the customer services are fantastic. Not that there's much wrong with CCL of course, but Kustom PCs is a smaller, more personal operation.

7. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Only one left of these, and I haven't seen them as TKL anywhere! :waah: It'll deffo be gone by the time my pay package comes in, probably! :sigh:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have experience with Ducky keyboards? Is it possible to take apart the casing, spray it white and then assemble it again? Or are you limited to just replacing the caps? Because the white casing just looks so good!

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  8. Margo Baggins

you can take the case of any proper mech pretty easily, and you can do as you fancy to it.

Oopsie I got a realforce to pick up later.

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Well in that case.. Might as well make life easier and go TKL! :clap: You'd never guess I havent had an expensive/high end keyboard before.. :lol:

10. Shirty

Taking the keyboard out of its housing is dead easy, although it will instantly void whatever warranty Ducky give (I have no idea).

Spraying is also easy, but the results will only be as good as a) your spraying skills, and b) the paint/dye you use.

Might be worth practising on an old generic rubberdome before you take the plunge!

11. Margo Baggins

This man speaks truth!

I tried to paint a case once, and, I'm fairly outgoing with wanting people to see the things I do with keyboards, which is why I plaster pictures all through this thread - but, no one has ever seen the outcome of that. And nor will they! photographic evidence and the case in question both no longer exist :D

While I'm decent with hand tools, i'm apparently not very decent with paint. Or my standards are too high.

12. Shirty

Vinyl wrapping is another option, but three way corners are a bint!

You get a lovely finish (matte in this case):

[​IMG]

But unless you have incredibly good wrapping skills this sort of thing is inevitable...

[​IMG]

13. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

They only offer a years warranty, so i'd probably wait that out before playing about too much! Considering these things supposedly last decades.. It doesn't seem that bad to wait a year! Besides, thats plenty of time to perfect my spraying technique! :hehe:

14. Winkle

Winkle What's a Dremel?

15. GeorgeK

Supply and demand? Less demand for certain colours means a higher price? I'm only guessing - I've never bought a backlit mech before...

Anyone else for a set of HHKB keycaps from Smart Imports before I order from them?

16. khemist

khemist What's a Dremel?

Here's my CM storm White Quickfire TK LE with Brown switches.

[​IMG]

Stock.

[​IMG]

And with Green, Yellow and Orange colour changers.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  17. Shirty

I wish someone had told me about those colour changers before I made the carnival Cougar :wallbash:

Just kidding, I love soldering and there's something epic about looking down and knowing that a) all those little lights were soldered by either myself or the one and only Margo Baggins, and b) the whole setup should not technically work, as the LEDs all have completely different ratings :lol:

That being said, the Leopold is on another level for usability, and there will only ever be two LEDs in this board.

18. Margo Baggins

no shirty your keyboard is one in a million, the little colour changers are cheating, like using a plate that lets you swap the innards of the switch.

I want my hhkb blanks! i'm so used to the waiting game, but that doesn't make the waiting go quicker.

19. Shirty

Soldering everything is deliciously old skool. It also lends your masterpiece a semi-permanent state which means you need to give a little more thought to your layout :)

20. GeorgeK

Haha - I only ordered them 2 hours ago :lol: