1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Imperium - Update July 7: COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blueonblack, 21 Feb 2014.

1. blueonblack

blueonblack What's a Dremel?

Almost Done!

[​IMG]

Yes, this thing is almost done. I finished all of the electrical work on it last night. With the power supply in the bottom, lights in the top two sections, the two motion elements, the fan controller and fans in all three sections there is a LOT of wiring going on here. Happily, I managed to keep the interior clean. The smaller copper tube is wiring conduit.

[​IMG]

I said I would explain the additional 110 outlet and toggle switch on the rear of the case in the electrical update. I bought a 12-volt converter for something (I don't even know what it's supposed to be for) that puts out 5 amps. I wired it into the 110 outlet I added, put the switch in the circuit and wired in a 3-pin connector for output. This is going to function as auxiliary pump power. I hate having to find an external power source for the pumps when I'm filling bleeding and leak testing a system and the last thing I wanted to do here was unhook the 24-pin and 8-pin connectors from the motherboard. This way when it comes time I just open the bottom panel, unplug the pumps, plug them into the converter, move the 110 cord from the PSU to this dedicated circuit and flip the switch. Instant constant 12-volt power for the pumps without putting power anywhere else.

That's the theory anyway, we'll see how it works tonight. :)

[​IMG]

I've been working on this thing since February, and as with most ideas I have it has been in my head as a completed project since then. Looking at it now I have to say it has turned out perfectly. I'm sure some of my fellow modders can relate to that feeling when it's coming together and actually starts to look like the finished product.

I was really worried about the lighting, getting just the right shade and brightness but the RGB strip I bought on Amazon is perfect. I was able to change the color and brightness one step at a time and save the results in a preset and still be able to play with the lighting effects it offers. I especially like being able to switch to full-brightness white with the press of a button to help with any work I need to do inside the case. That will no doubt come in handy later.

I received what I truly hope is the last package of parts for this project today in the form of some Primochill PETG tubing and various fittings, as well as a USB adapter for the WiFi antenna. Still experimenting with location on that. Now that all the pieces are fused together I realize how well I've sealed off the main section when it comes to trying to run a wire anywhere from there to get power.

Checklist for completion:

- Cut, bend and install tubing
    - Install WiFi antenna
    - Find a place to mount the IR receiver for the lights
    - Make new "grills" for the radiators (I decided I didn't like the long bars I did previously)
    - Install a plaque on the lower left-hand panel
    - Fill bleed and leak check
    - Figure out how to move this ridiculous thing out of my shop and up two flights of stairs into my office
    - Install software/games
    - Try to play said games without being distracted by the thing on the desk. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blueonblack

Update July 7: COMPLETE!

[​IMG]

This project is complete!

Well, OK as complete as they ever get when you're planning to show them somewhere. There are still a few minor cosmetic issues I want to address, like the fittings in the upper portion by the camshafts and the screw holes on the radiators but overall it's done.

This has been my largest and most involved project to date and as usual I've learned a lot. I think it came out pretty well, and very close to the finished piece I had in my head when I started it in February.

I'll be draining the loop and loading it up on a dolly to get it to my car next Wednesday and driving it to Quakecon in Dallas to compete in the case mod competition. Fingers crossed, but win or lose I'm going to have a blast.

Thanks for following along everyone, hope you enjoyed it half as much as I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mach likes this.
  3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

That last picture suddenly makes it look very slim.. Almost small! :hehe: But then you see all the details and realise how big and involved all of it is! Big :thumb: to you, sir!

4. blueonblack

Thank you! It does look slim when you eye it from the front but that's really only because it's three feet tall. Everyone who's seen in person has been amazed at the size, even after seeing pictures.

I think my next one will be done in the opposite direction. :)

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

This is usually not my cup of tea. But there are a lot of great modding elements in this project. I love the rotating camshafts!

6. blueonblack

I appreciate that, thanks. I think both of the motion elements came out pretty well on this one.

This was my first attempt at a themed build, and my first successful mod, as opposed to a scratchbuild. I can definitely see where it wouldn't be to everyone's taste, as it was designed and built for a very specific purpose.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Proper steampunk, that! Great work! :thumb:

I'd love to see a video of the whole thing with all its parts moving.

8. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Catching up on your latest creation. Amazing work blue! The gear train and the cams are jaw dropping.

9. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

10. Jeffinslaw

Jeffinslaw What's a Dremel?

Very interesting, I like it!

11. blueonblack

Thanks, Mach! That means an awful lot coming from you.

12. blueonblack

QUAKECON!!

Well, I did it. I got the case safely to Quakecon and entered in the Modders Inc case mod contest. Took first place in the Id/Bethesda theme category!

I'm still amazed at all the talent that comes together in that one room. There were some absolutely awesome machines there. Great weekend, great bunch of people.