1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia Shield Tablet leaks ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

So they've decided to play it safe this time around and gone for a bog standard tablet ! that seems like such a shame given that it's marketed as a gaming device.

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

It's all about price of course, lets assume this is reasonable.

With 192 cores under the hood the gpu power of this is already more than the xbox360 and PS3, more RAM (but maybe not more v-ram?).

CPU probably at 2,2ghz which is slower than the 3.2ghz tri-core 360 and multicore PS3 - but for gaming GPU horsepower counts for more.

If they can do a plug-in armour kit that (as well as protection) provides analogue sticks and some buttons to the sides, like this http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6731/Wikipad-WP005-Press1-20130206white.jpg or like the original NV Shield, then they could have a really nice product.

I'd like to see decent front and rear cameras too, but maybe that's asking too much.

Last edited: 18 Jul 2014
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've got a Jetson TK1 dev board on my desk at the moment; I can confirm that the Tegra K1 is one hell of a chip.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I hate you :p

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

What are you planning to do with it?
    maybe a little write up telling us about your experience with the board?;)

7. rollo

rollo Modder

So we going to see this in the uk or this another USA only product launch. If USA only personally don't care less how good it is or what it does.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I just want a picoITX board with a tegra K1 .... still have a keyputer on hold :)

9. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

if they just made it ready to go with wireless Xbox or PS controllers I'd be happy

10. Gareth Halfacree

Just reviewing it for a few publications. Not here, sadly. I've been posting about my experience on Twitter, though, including how impressive the CUDA-accelerated smoke and particle simulations are, considering the entire system is only drawing about 8W while they're running. I got it up to 14W, but only when running a heavy CUDA-accelerated financial calculation. Bit disappointed at the GPIO, though.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Install XMBC ARM edition, and it may be one hell of a media centre too... Would be nice. Windows MCE is just getting too flaky for my liking.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

13. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

14. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder