1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I love riding at Afan. Last year I was there in the middle of the heat wave - did the Skyline trail on the hottest day, which I think is one of the longest trails in the area, just seemed to go up forever and then an absolutely booming descent at the end. Had a 3L camel which lasted maybe a few hours, ended up filling up in a stream - only time I've ever used those fizzy hydration tablets and I think they were a lifesaver. My favourite trail there is the Wall, and it's great that it goes right past the bike park so you can mess about there for a while before finishing it.

I'd never go 1x10, Too much of a fattie :D 2x10 on fs and 3x10 on the hardtail

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Anyone noticing Strava is getting increasingly slower to do anything, its not just my phone because everyone I've asked have commented, wonder how long before some one buys it.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I switched over to Endomondo when I got a windows phone, It seems to be slightly more reliable/accurate but that could be down to the difference in phones. The only downside is that some of the features that are free with Strava are only in the paid version of Endomondo.

In other news I'm thinking or trying something a little different with my CX bike, I seem to be using it more and more over my hardtail mtb but the really rough stuff is wrecking my hands/arms, so the plan is to run a fat front end, and change to drop bars to something like the On-One Fleagle or Mary. Its going to look very weird but I've always wanted to experiment with a fat front so hopefully it'll ride ok.

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well today went well.

Practice of first stage (Point'n'chute) at the Ard Rock Enduro, rain, gravel, rocks, terror, crash and lose my glasses somewhere, get up, more terror, crash again and a nice new six inch gash in my arm, my blue gloves are now black reddish purple gloves.

Not racing tomorrow, this has been a shitty week.

One small piece of cosmic randomness, having lost my specs in the first crash, in the second crash I landed right next to somebody else's specs. So I left with just as many sets of specs as I came in with, but a lot less blood.

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

Thought it was about time to contribute to this thread. Built a bamboo 3 speed commuter (my first and only bike in years) to get me to work and back.

[​IMG]

6. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

That's so cool, what's it like to ride?

7. Hiren

Yeah it's a bit on the heavy side, probably because I picked out disc brakes, hub gearing and a overkill front fork. Apart from that it rides really well.

Do get the occasional odd look, but I love the fact it's something I built myself (and learned a lot along the way).

8. Margo Baggins

Might be overkill front fork but it looks ace!

Did you get the box or go to one of the workshops?

Last edited: 7 Aug 2014
  9. Hiren

I went to one of the workshops. My knowledge of how to use bamboo is less than my limited knowledge of bikes.

Ian and James who run the workshop are ace though.

10. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Well, due to searing back pain, I've had to stop riding the G-150, and moved back to the insurance replaced Orange Five.. with a few upgrades:

[​IMG]

Did fall off down a 7ft drop on to my back as well, which was nice. Thankfully the backpack with the spine protector helped there! Seriously, if anyone is in need of a new bag, go with EVOC. Can't praise them enough.

11. fix-the-spade

Why would you take a G150 over a Five anyway? That seems bizarre to me.

How are you liking the 350CR?

12. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Because the Orange is an XL frame, the Whyte only did L. On the climbs it was becoming unbearable.

So far the 350CR is going well, I've only been on an hours ride, 20mins of which was me tumbling down a near verticle bank and landing on my back.. so yeah. I still need to fine tune the forks, but so far, they're on par with the pikes I had on the G-150.

13. fix-the-spade

Sorry, bad phrasing.

Why did you buy the G150 in the first place when you already owned/knew you would be getting a replacement Five?

It seems an odd choice to replace one with the another when they're so close together to begin with. The Whyte is only a quarter of an inch shorter than the XL Five for the top tube and most of the the other number are similarly close, plus the geometry/travel are about the same.

14. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

At the time I had no idea what the insurance company would be doing, they were being very quiet about it. So I decided to buy the G-150. Another reason for going back is I knew I'd not had the pain on my original Five, and if I want to keep doing this sport for a long time to come, I needed to address that issue.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

15. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Anyone got one of those Chain reaction 10% off leaflets you get in an order, I know they're only valid for 2 weeks so if anyones got one or planning on making an order could I have your leaflet code please :).

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

New bike, an M6L with additional Shimano dynamo hub for lights, cover and Ortlieb bag. Changing the grips out shortly for some non-foam ones, but otherwise rides well and importantly packs down for transport.

[​IMG]

17. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

R.E.CRC, expecting an order tomorrow, I'll let you know.

18. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Cheers dude :).

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Liking the colour!

20. Margo Baggins

That's one of the best bromptons I've seen!