1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Constant FPS drops and very stuttery game play

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by McLovin9091, 6 Aug 2014.

1. McLovin9091

McLovin9091 I Have used a Dremel

As per my other post (that i now think is irrelevant hence the new one) I recently upgraded to a Samsung SSD and have been having problems playing games including STALKER or any Mass Effect ones. It was suggested due to the fluctuations in the GPU usage that upping the voltage may help, which it didn't(as can be seen in the picture).

As they say a picture paints a thousand words well heres one and two videos. The problem is persistent and happens on either a SSD or HDD

[​IMG]

This video shows an attempt at what i would call reasonable graphical settings (Med-High on all settings)

[​IMG]

This one shows the same game on the lowest possible settings (character is running back down the same road he ran up in the 1st vid.)

[​IMG]

I could really do with some help as its driving me nuts, i do have one suspicion in my mind but im hoping its not that.

TIA

2. Deders

Deders Modder

Anything in the background taking up CPU or GPU cycles?

3. McLovin9091

Nope nothing at all.

4. McLovin9091

So far I have tried:

1. Fresh install of windows only essential drivers loaded and 1x game to test with (tried once with drivers included on the CD and a separate time with the latest drivers downloaded from the relevant websites)

2. Then updated windows 7 as much as possible

Repeatedly checking for any viruses, trojans etc.

3.Running the game from my old HDD, but running Win7 from the SSD.

4. Swapped sata cables over.

5. removed the GTX 460 and tried the game on just the internal graphics (obviously lower overall FPS but same symptoms)

6. Found out the the starter motor on my car is knackered

7. Ordered a new starter and waiting on delivery.

What i will be doing today while i wait on the delivery of my starter motor, is to try installing Win XP on a different SSD, relevant drivers and then the game.

Im pretty sure that the Graphics card is fine, CPU is fine so that leaves the PSU being on the way out, hence the spiking of the GPU and the lack of processing done by cores 2,3 and 4 as seen in the picture above. But could it be the mobo as well?

Ideal situation would be to swap the PSU and see if the problem persists but i dont have access to one and being that the Starter motor just skinned me of £100 i can't buy a replacement on the chance that its faulty.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Stalker is not threaded hence the use of a single core so thats not a issue.

As a work around what happens if you enable vsync? Does that help?

I would likely be looking at the mobo if the computer seems stable in other areas but its difficult to say.

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

What happens with benchmarks such as Unigine or 3DMark?

7. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

what driver version are you running as cannot make it out on pic have you tried older drivers in the region of 285.62 as the gigabyte 460 soc i had didn't like new drivers over 295 or so and are you installing the audio driver when you install the driver

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried uninstalling MSI afterburner ? It has been known to cause problems with some games.
    Or doing a clean boot to rule out any non MS stuff causing problems.

9. McLovin9091

Going to run 3dmark in a bit and get a screenshot.

I have tried using the latest driver, the 337.88, 337.23, 332.21 and the one that came on the disc with the card which is the forceware 258.56. Currently downloading the 295.73 which is the oldest i can see on the Nvidia page.

Will try a clean boot and see if theres a software conflict (but i doubt it) Afterburner has worked fine with all my games prior to the upgrade to SSD, but will also try that.

I'll be annoyed if its the mobo as i've only had it a couple of years(i think) and the PSU is at least 6.

Cheers for the advise.

10. McLovin9091

[​IMG]

Ran 3dMark with no problems or stuttering.

Grpahics score 8070, physics 2248, combined 4524, graphics test 1 35.91 fps, test 2 37.85 fps

11. McLovin9091

When playing Stalker in windowed @ 1280x1024, the CPU usage never goes over 50% and the memory sits at about 3GB.

The GPU usage as reported by afterburner is the one that fluctuates as seen in the picture but the 3dMark ran with no problems.

Clearly its just games that dont want to work but WHY????? FFS!

12. McLovin9091

Right got two new screnshots. The 1st one is from my mates old rig (an AMD x2 CPU, DDR2 RAM and a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2H ) The 2nd is my Phenom x4, DDR3 and the M5A78-M LX V2. The constants were the PSU, GTX 460,case, SSD, HDDs and the operator. :)

Damn it!!! it appears i only have the one screenshot that shows how the game ran with my rig. Im tired and clearly saved over the file with the 2nd one.

Anyway it shows the voltages miles away from where they should be (in the other picture they were all close to the expected volts) The GPU usage is far higher than when using my mates parts despite having better components, the most the GPU usage was on his parts was about 45%.

[​IMG]

Is this the mobo at fault? rather than the RAM or CPU? I now know that its not the PSU, SSD, software or driver issues.

13. Deders

Deders Modder

HW monitor is renowned for being wildly inaccurate when reporting voltages, if your +12V was actually -7v then your PC wouldn't start up.

14. McLovin9091

Yeha but if you compare this screenshot (im now back running my mates components)

[​IMG]

I'd agree with the program on this occasion.

15. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Because HWMonitor grabs the info from the motherboard (and motherboards can vary on how they report this info), the only true test you could do would be if the motherboard stayed the same between the two tests.

16. McLovin9091

True, if thats the case then there is clearly a fault with the mobo sending the wrong readings.

Regardless now, my solution is the purchase of a new mobo. Will find out at the weekend for definite.