1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Reflections on audio

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Predalien, 8 Aug 2014.

1. Predalien

Predalien What's a Dremel?

Hello.

There are a few things I want for my upcoming build audio solution. I've been investigating... A LOT. But I still cannot find a satisfying answer.

I thought it might be good to ask you guys about it, so new ideas come into play. I'd also like to discuss if you think I'm looking for the right thing or if I'm missing something.

Thanks in advance.

----------

This build will be exclusively for gaming. Prerequisites:

- I care for audio quality. I have good ears and I'll be playing games with good soundtracks.
    - I HATE cables.
    - I want surround (virtual).
    - I need a mic.

Problems I've found:

- Wireless headset? without cables I know I will loose some audio quality. For now I choose wireless. Is this right?
    - My motherboard (Asus ROG) will have Supreme FX: if I get a wireless headset they always come with its own USB sound card, so I won't be using the Asus.

Unanswered questions:

- Is there any wireless headset that takes the audio from the Supreme FX instead of taking it from its own sound card?
    - Does virtual surround need to be applied by the headphones boxes/USB adapters/whatever? could it be done (with the same surround quality) with software, using the Supreme FX?

----------

In the end, it all resumes to achieving what a high quality wired headset does... wirelessly.

I'm a bit lost :sigh:

docodine likes this.
  2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm not too sure if you'll find "hifi" quality in a wireless headphone, nevermind adding in 7.1. The only headset I know of that is both wireless and has 7.1 uses its own usb receiver, and it's the Logitech G930 7.1 wireless gaming headset. Battery life is also approximately 10 hours, so you'd be charging it quite frequently.

Actually, I know Titan and turtlebeach have wireless headphones that connect to consoles, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to connect to your soundcard as well. Cant comment on the quality though, just some suggestions.

3. Predalien

Thanks for your replies!

jrs77, I'm fighting with those rules. But, well, they're rules for a reason. I feel like I'm trying to cheat and evade them.

For now, I'm thinking in combining a few things. I've got my Sennheisers HD550 for high quality audio, and I'll get a wireless headset for gaming when I need a mic.

Unless... do you know a good mic that I could put on the monitor? Another cable going to me is a terrifying idea.

As for the sound card... I'll stick with the Supreme FX for now. The only alternative I would admit if I go for an external one would be the O2+ODAC Combo (http://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo/) but it's out of budget right now.

Thanks!

4. mansueto

I initially wanted to suggest going with an amp/dac and proper headphones and a seperate mic, but I figured it was a bit off topic from what you wanted.

Some people have had a lot of success with mid-range web cameras, the mics have come a long way, though personally, I've no experience. A lot of people / streamers use those blue microphones (yeti, snowball) and you can just place them on your desk away from your face, and they should still pick you up just fine, though I've no idea how sensitive they are.

5. Predalien

About the mic, I was worried that one placed on the desk will pick me... and my girl, at my left, also playing. So it would have to be a direction sensitive mic (this probably has another, more classy, name).

6. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

You'd need the mic pretty close to get a cardioid mic to reject all surrounding noise. There are ways to do that, but none cheap that don't take up desk space. I use an anglepoise stand reaching up and over my monitors to put my gaming mics - Blue Mouse - pretty close to my head.

In terms of sound quality, it's hard to tell what people mean by sound quality. I equate sound quality to sound quality, but for a lot of others it seems to be how much bass there is or how much teeth-grinding treble there is. So I don't know, especially if you only own a basic headphone like the HD 555 (I presume - there isn't an HD 550). At that level there are headphones that sound decent, but nothing in true 'I care about sound quality' territory.

Seems like what you want is an Astro A50, which would appear to meet all your needs. It uses Kleernet. As far as I know, the transmission of 7.1 over a supported Kleernet ASIC is lossless - which means that the Dolby 7.1 effect is probably as respectable as it is on the A40. I don't like wireless systems simply because of the battery aspect - too often they're flat when I actually want to use them so I've never owned one, but it's fairly low-risk - only $300, which is not bad for a wireless setup.

EDIT: Hmmm, if the O2+ODAC is out of budget then clearly the A50 also is. Sorry OP, no good options then.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2014
  7. mansueto

Could he not go for a directional mic? I have no clue what's available. I myself use a Audio-Technica ATR2100 and I bought a cheap scissor arm thing for it. I just put it above my keyboard, and turn the volume in the control panel down to 60%. With a pop filter, a lot of the air / breathing noises are cut down. There is a ton of background noise in my house with dogs / everyone always yelling throughout the house to one another.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

What about the Sennheiser PC360? It might not be the best headphone around, nor the best mic, but it's a very good compromise, especially for the price. Sadly, it's neither surround sound capable, nor wireless.

9. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

sennheiser rs180 + a wireless mic will do everything you need i think. there aren't any great wireless headphones out there, but the RS180 is the "least bad" that i've listened to (coming from a sennheiser HD650)

wireless mics are either shitty or expensive, a good setup could easily cost you a couple hundred dollars.

you could make do with a good quality webcam as a mic, that's been my solution and it works alright. picks up some keyboard noises though (god help you if you're using a mechanical keyboard)

edit: why doesn't OP have a full rep bar? cmon guys don't slack

Last edited: 10 Aug 2014
  10. Predalien

You're right. It's HD 555. And you're also right, they are not what an audiophile would call "high quality". The jewels here at home are my Etymotic ER 4S, but I don't expect my gaming experience to go that far. I just want to avoid crappy sound, and probably many headsets fall behind the HD 555.

I've seen the A50, and what I'd love to do is to try them. If the quality is enough it may be a good idea to wait a bit more and buy them.

The webcam would probably pick up many noises around here, and surely mi girlfriend voice, playing at my left. I don't know the Sennheiser R180, I'll have a look at them!

I believe I've been out of the game for toooo long xD. Could anyone explain?

Thanks everyone. I'm getting many more options to explore.

11. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

You can get hi-end wireless headphones which sound great, they are just very expensive although I tend to agree with the other posters. Personally I would be looking at starting with a good set of wired stereo earphones and add a modmic or equivalent.

I also care very much about sound quality and brefly tried a 7.1 headset and found it unbearable - personally I think good quality stereo headset with positional processing software in games (only) is the way to go.

I have the same ROG mb as you on one PC, another with an Asus Essense ST dedicated soundcard and another with an Audioengine USB dac / amp and another with a Creative sound card (the high end one, can;t remember exactly which). I also have a Fiio E11 USB dac/amp I travel with. I use Logitech UE 6000, Sennhesier PC150 or Bose headphones which are not particularly high end

IMHO for music the Essence ST sounds best with the ROG and the Audioengine about even in second. If the motherbpard has quality onboard sound and is properly isolated and has a decent amp it can sound pretty good, from what I have found.

The creative card has excellent sound processing software and sounds great in games but is not as nice overall as the Asus or the Audioengine for music.

In the end sound is very subjective but the one thing I would say is unless its for dedicated gaming if you care about sound then steer clear of the 7.1 headphones in preference for higher quality stereo one.

Starting from scratch for gaming I would probably go with a good stereo headset of your choice, a MODMIKE and a high end creative or asus dedicated sound card but as you already have the ROG its probably not worth going for the dedciated card.

GL!

Chunks

docodine likes this.
  12. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

Personally I wouldn't bother with the Asus soundcards. The Essence is prone to interference depending on slot position in relation to GPU's, and the Dolby Headphone implementation is totally gimped - you might as well go for Razer Surround, it's no worse/better (and the Pro may be a lot better).

The Creatives are better from a functional standpoint, perceived driver shens notwithstanding.

And even wired, if it's for gaming and you don't have any particularly special needs I'd choose a dedicated USB (not an analog + USB) headset with virtual 7.1 - they tend to work better.

13. Predalien

Thanks everyone. I'm getting many new points of view. Conclusions:

- Wireless with high (enough) audio quality is possible. At a price. But it will always lose to wired headphones at the same price level.
    - Virtual surround may not be worth it because games are already processing the sounds to position them. This will be more common as time passes.
    - If you go wired, a good stereo headphones and a separated added mic will give you the best quality. Modmic is a great possibility to have in mind.
    - You have to be careful with internal sound cards because of interferences. Only a few will do the job correctly.

These are not universal truths, but the conclusions I get for my case in particular.

I'll start a search for a good wireless gaming headset which doesn't have surround and I'll plug my Etymotic when I feel the game score deserves it.