1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays triple monitors for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dirky90, 15 Aug 2014.

1. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

Hi All,

I have done all the reading and lots of thinking. BUT! I am still undecided about going to triple monitors. (would be 3 x u2412m in portrait initially)

Does anyone have a triple setup in west Midlands or M5 corridor to Devon that would let me sit in front of it for 5mins to give me an idea what it goes like.

happy to hear arguments for/against. I do think I will need to get in front of some screen for a final decision.

Thanks!

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I had 3x dell u2414h for gaming, its good. if I had to make complaint points umm it would be tough but the screens they were not big enough height wise, I have jumped ship now and run 4k asus (but at 1980 by 1200.... its too small for me at native res kind of not sure to do about this lol).

I think if I was going to go back to triple screen, man you have to do it properly, 3x dell u2414h is ok but its definitely not good enough, I would be looking at 3xDell u2711 or similar, I would want 3x bigger monitors, although the dell u 2414h is enough and quant kind of, they have sweet thin bezils, I would get bigger screens to really be able to appreciate being in surround gaming properly not just some tiny little screens or that's how it felt to me.

triple screens are awesome for work as well.

Now that all said... forget about triple screen gaming because if you put a DK2 on your head nothing else will matter, the last thing you will be interested in is three screens.

I thought id be clever and get a 4k screen to have a decent panel to work and watch films on in standard mode and have a dk2.

get a nice single screen and a dk2

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

gaming is so so on it as it requires the game to support it. over at WSGF as to a complete list of supported games (its awesome when it works) but the extra retail space for work related activities is awesome.

[​IMG]

I'm on the outskirts of the midlands if you want to try it for 5 mins.

4. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Been running triple screens for a few years now and can't be without them from a general use or productivity stand point.

Gaming wise is great as long as you have the GPU grunt for it (or don't mind dropping settings on more recent games) and the game supports it. Generally speaking the vast majority of recent games work out of the box by just selecting the required resolution. Other games can be forced via software methods but sometimes won't work at all. This isn't a major problem in landscape mode as you can just game on the central screen. In portrait mode it is a bit more of a faff unless you want 1080p stretched.

I have had a mixture of both Nvidia and AMD setups and if pushed I would say I prefer the Nvidia method. AMD's Eyefinity has some distinct advantages, especially if you want to run more than three screens, but for simple setup and play I have found Nvidia Surround to be better. AMD's profile control (extend / Eyefinity) has also caused me many a headache which isn't a problem on Nvidia's side (although could also be considered a negative depending on your requirements).

I am based around 20 minutes from Junction 23 of the M5 if you did want to get a feel for the setup.

I should note though that with the advent of 21:9 30"+ near 4K screens I may look at moving back to a single or dual screens.

5. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

Cheers for the advice guys! All the effort, thoughs and comments are much appreciated!

I think I will sit on it until the new formats (21:9) and this oculus rift develop a bit more.

Rob

6. paisa666

paisa666 I WILL END YOU!!!

Ofc there's no mean to offend anyone, but it has never crossed my mind to play videogames on triple screens, And I have to ask you gunsmith, how long does it take for anyone to ignore the edges of the screen in the middle of he image? :) Ofc its never late to give it a try :D

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I was tempted with a surround setup not that long ago but I decided against it because of the bezels on the monitors.

If I ever need more space than I currently have on my monitor now, I will add a second screen but I cannot see myself now going for a surround setup.

8. seapanda

seapanda moobs r us

I personally find bezels a non-issue, but I'd go against the recommendation of a 27" WQHD monitor. If you're going for larger screen, it makes better sense IMO to go for three 30"s in portrait for aspect ratio issues. Otherwise stick to 3x 1200p 24" in portrait. Perhaps a 27" 1200p if you can find one might also be an option. Two of my rigs have a 3xWQHD setup and it's not ideal because of the stretched out side monitors in most titles, though they're fine for productivity use.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2014
  9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

10. RagingMadman

RagingMadman What's a Dremel?

tbh if I could go back, I'd go with a 4k monitor or a 32" 21:9 screen.

Downfall is the game has to support it and if it doesn't then rather than allow you to use the additional monitors for something like Teamspeak or a skype screen, most the time it blacks the additional screens out. I've also noticed with games that don't support it, sometimes it will still try to stretch the screen anyways making aspect ratios and res look horrible. Also, some games if you bump tab without support for 3 screens it takes my res down to 300x100 or something horrible until I tab completely out and re-full screen the game.

Looks really sweet in racing games, otherwise I can't recommend it.

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Have you tried using virtual desktops? http://dexpot.de/?id=features

That way you could probably get some use out of the blacked out space in situations where the oddball resolutions are not supported.