1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Are you overweight?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Up until 5 years ago I most certainly was, too much beer, fried foods, cream buns and the like but a medical problem soon put paid to that and I have lost enough weight to find that I am 4 inches narrower around the waist. ( and aren't decent jeans pricey these days?)

But the amount of ads on the TV for snacks and sugar filled soft drinks made me realise how difficult it must be to eat the 'right' stuff. One ad even goes so far as to say that it's product is the most important snack of the day. Yet these snacks are filled with sugar or fat or both for all I know.

Any of you diet and how successful are you?

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I seem to have spent most of my life on a diet. I was overweight even when I was a Thatcher running up and down ladders all day. Now I sit at a desk all day I find it really hard to keep the weight down.

I do kenpo karate twice a week and go for a bike ride 1 night a week and do around 10 miles. We also have a large garden that I spend a couple of hours working on over the weekends.

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I (sort of) do the Paleo thing. I mostly eat paleo, but I still eat weetabix for breakfast.

According to the NHS, 6'6" and 100-102kg is overweight. I don't get as much exercise as I should, but still. I don't exactly 'look' overweight.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

You seem to be doing the right things.

My interest in the answers to my question are really based on the fact that there is a massive choice of unhealthy foods and snacks these days which must make life more difficult.

We hear much of the obesity epidemic but nothing much seems to be done about the companies making big money on producing crap food though at times they do pay lip service to reducing salt and sugar intake.

I appreciate that we are all free to choose what we eat but the costs to society will surely be expensive if it continues to grow.

I admit when I was overweight I knew it and still did nothing and when I look at the size of some of my clothes I wore then I am quite disgusted.

5. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I'm definitely overweight; BMI would suggest that I'm obese, although I don't think that's really right.
    I think a lot of that was to do with working in fast food for a year and a half, and having only just started a desk job I don't think it's going to get much better in that sense.
    I eat what I want, and I enjoy doing so. But I do feel I'm very fit as well- I swim vigorously 5 days a week, sometimes 6. always doing something like 10 lots of 6 length sprints- the weight is definitely coming off, and I feel like I look slimmer than the average 'obese person'.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I was a 44 waist after being a 36 most of my life. After moving to London 13 years ago and not playing sport anymore (too old now) I picked up weight and began hating myself and also lost a lot of confidence. Could not find a gym that opened the hours I needed it too.

Then my wife got me into the group called "the gym" which is open 24 hours and I have changed everything, how I eat and train.

I never used to have breakfast,a little lunch and a huge dinner. Now I have a healthy breakfast, a healthy lunch and a light dinner. I train every morning for two hours which varies with each body part and do cardio twice a week.

Gone from a 44 waist to a 38 waist. Bench at an average of 200kg which changed week to week. Squat between 200 and 300 and I feel do much healthier. I'm on my feet at work between 10 to 12 hours a day, for the first time in a long time do not feel that tired when I get home.

I'm lucky as I have a boss who likes doing the early shift and I do the late so that accommodates my gym time. For the first time in my life I can actually see a for pack as the last two ate the hardest to do but they coming.

I can only lose weight if I exercise I find.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Nope. Started showing signs of a belly earlier this year so I've been cranking it since April.

Won some new running shoes a few weeks back and they arrived this morning so taking them for a test drive tonight!

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yup. It only got worse when I started to work from home and my commute went from including a mile-and-a-bit walk both ways to going down the stairs. I need to do something about it, but I'm A) lazy and 2) a massive fan of food, so it's a bit of a challenge.

9. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

+1.

Both knees and left ankle buggered too so its a problem. Eyes go mental around chlorine (and I hate swimming anyway) so am pretty much screwed. I just have the belly and got that since I stopped playing cricket (knees and ankle !).

I do donkey work at my local kids speedway training track but thats the only exercise I get as I too work from home. I am a 38 waist but until I got the belly I was always 34.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've been overweight since my twenties, when a back injury put a stop to my rugby training, but I've really piled on the weight in the last 18 months since I gave up smoking.

It's kind of stabilised now, but I need to work hard to get rid of it.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Best way I found to not put on weight was to not eat passed a certain time of night. I still eat pretty much what I want and I'm pretty underweight ( 60kg at 5'11) I was a lot over weight till a few years back but I became ill and ended up in hospital for some time lost a lot in there as was not allowed to eat and had very little fluid that was not a drip.

12. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

No I have the opposite problem, I was (still am) very skinny. 2 years ago I went from 60kg (at 6 ft tall) to 70.5kg in about 10months (lots of eating and lifting heavy).

Unfortunately I got ill last year and lifting went out the window. Down to 68kg now, but I think I'm in ok shape. I do jujitsu 3 x 2hrs a week and cycle 7miles (each way) to work. Next step is start eating more bulk foods and start lifting again.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 6 Jan 2018
  14. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

In one word, yes !

It needs shifting, I've never neen this heavy in my life, I've alwaqys been on the chunky side. Put it this way, Behemoth by name & Behemoth by nature !

15. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I'm now classed as overweight, prior to a motorcycle I was quite healthy and active but due to limited ability to do F***all in ways of exercise things catch up on you and I got lazy with food.

Good news is I'm having an operation to mend everything, getting a decent pay out for the accident which will easily help me fund a personal trainer.

16. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

I am pretty lucky in the sense that i can eat and drink heavily and do not put on weight
    6Ft 2" and 13st 5.
    I gym quite regular and keep my cardio to a decent ish level

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Nope and never have been, I'm one of those people that don't get fat no matter how much I eat and I've trained since I was early teen Judo , Karate and weight lifting , running right up to my mid 50's

18. asura

asura jack of all trades

Again, sorry, but no - 1850mm by 61.5Kg. I managed to put on an extra 10Kg when I was doing TKD two nights a week and adding an extra two chicken breasts and two portions of rice to my daily intake, but that's all gone now and I'm back down to 61.5Kg.

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm thinking that, in both cases, it's not a question of being "one of those people who don't get fat" but more to do with the regular gym visits! Quit doing any exercise for a year or so without modifying your food intake, see how you get on...

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?