1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Star Citizen smashes last stretch goal at $50M

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. koaschten

koaschten What's a Dremel?

3 links in the news post, all leading to older news post, but not a single link to the kickstarter project in ANY of the news posts and no link to the source of the news?

Why can't you just link to the source at the end, why do I have to google to find the source?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's no point linking to the Kickstarter project in this article, as it closed in November 2012. The source of the news was a press release. Any more questions?

4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Yeah. Does BT have an editorial policy to avoid linking to the source? It is a reoccurring issue and I for one have been slightly annoyed by it a couple of times. I guess I'm just spoiled by other (larger) sites that are happy to link to the source.

For this article, the source may not easily be a URL but you could easily have made the "Star Citizen campaign" words into a link to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge.

Even the BBC is getting better at linking to external sites.

5. Gareth Halfacree

As far as I'm aware, BT doesn't have an editorial policy document at all, much less one stating not to link to sources. Like I said, the source in this case was a press release received via email - bit difficult to link to, really!
    Could have, but didn't. There's no additional information available on that page, so I didn't see the point in linking to it. Had there been a page I could link to that had, for example, new stretch goals, I would have done exactly that.

Out of interest, let's look at the stories I've written so far this week: Star Citizen, no external link 'cos I didn't think it was required; Windows on Devices, link to Microsoft's GitHub site as source; Jon Peddie research, no external link 'cos the report costs thousands and I didn't think anyone here would be willing to pay that just to read Peddie's thoughts; Windows Threshold, link to ZDNet as source; Steam VR, link to Valve's changelog post as source; Microsoft's faulty update, link to Microsoft's KB as source. That's six posts, only two of which don't link to an external site - and both of which I still believe would not be materially improved with the inclusion of links.

Clearly, you feel differently. That is, naturally, your prerogative. Your feedback has been noted, both.

6. ovnr

ovnr What's a Dremel?

I, for one, get somewhat annoyed when an article does not link to the thing it's actually describing. Having to google for a subject matter is a bit silly.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Seriously, y'all should be forced to live a day in the 1980's, when if you wanted to know stuff you actually had to go visit a library.

Else get one of those neat little plugins for your Firefox browser where you highlight a word, right-click and select "Google" from the context menu.

First world problems... :rolleyes:

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Made me chuckle.

10. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

I get annoyed by a whole string of comments that don't relate to the article's content...

Now on topic... I've been really excited about Star Citizen since I first heard about the game. Though it seemed, and still seems, extremely ambitious, I really would like to see it succeed. However, I have not pledged any money at this time for various reasons including the massive hype. While I have supported several beta version games on Steam, some of the monetary amounts on Star Citizen are borderline ridiculous in my opinion. I really do hope it succeeds and lives up to the majority of the expectations. I'll wait on this game until it officially releases before I spend RL $ on it. Though, if it ends up being a subscription based game, I will likely pass on it.

11. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Well in this case their comments did relate to the article's content, just not the subject matter.

12. Judge Zetsumei

Judge Zetsumei What's a Dremel?

Yes some of the pledge packages are crazy expensive but that doesn't mean you have to choose them. Everything you can pledge for will be available for in game credits when the game is released, nothing will be exclusive. Also you can just pledge for the cheapest package which at €24/$30 includes Squadron 42 (single player campaign) and Star Citizen (persistent universe), you also get a starting ship the Aurora MR. I think that's pretty reasonable. Personally I went with the Avenger package at €60/$75

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

14. Gareth Halfacree

15. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's the page, but they were all at Gamescon when they passed the $50/51m goals and simply haven't updated the site. Apparently they've just landed back in the US, so I expect they'll be issuing updates when back at their desks.

EDIT: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/14089-Letter-From-The-Chairman
    There you go, stretch goal updates. $51m is a 'known space' map (decided by community poll), $52m is a jetpack and $53m is an "Independent Arbitrator Guild" in game.

16. Gareth Halfacree

So your answer is "you're right, Gareth, there are no new stretch goals listed on that page, I made a mistake." Good to know, thanks.
    Now that's more like it: that I will happily put in the article (and would have put in the article in the first place, had it been available at the time of writing.) I'll go and do a quick update to the piece now mentioning the new stretch goals - cheers!

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah that ;) However they will update the page I linked, so it'll stand as a historical guide to the stretch goals. Yes, it doesn't list the new ones currently, my bad.

No problem ;)