1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD graphics shipments grow, says Jon Peddie

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

The dilemma I find myself in regarding discreet graphics at the moment is that I want to upgrade both my GPU and monitor, however if I upgrade my monitor I really want to go for a 4k unit for a bit of future proofing but none of the GPU's on the market are powerful enough to game comfortably at that res'.

On the other hand I could splash out on a 780 ti and qhd monitor and be half future proofed but then in a year or two i'd be way behind the times and unable to justify upgrading both again so soon.

And more on point, I'm holding out for a high end maxwell GPU as AMD's GPU stuff is too power hungry at the moment and Nvidia's aren't that much better - so here's hoping maxwell will save the day !

3. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD will be more concerned that despite having this lead in intergrated gpus they have yet to see a yearly profit out of it. If they can't turn that around then they will be in bigger trouble than most have suggested.

Counting every ps4 and Xbox one as a AMD Gpu sale enough accurate is why nvidia have dropped so much % points in the market.

Don't suppose there's a PC only link that does not include consoles as rumours there is intel still holds the majority of the market space.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IMHO gaming at 4k is a good few years off yet, at least with a single GPU it is.
    Personally I'm more interested in FreeSync, G-Sync enabled monitors than 4k ones.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

The figures quoted in the article are, as the headline states, shipments rather than market share.

6. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

The JPR figures don't include consoles.

Edit!!

Or do they??

7. Gareth Halfacree

I believe they do, as they're counting units shipped from AMD - and AMD has certainly shipped units to their customers Sony and Microsoft. The fact that said units are going into consoles rather than PCs is neither here nor there; they're still GPU (well, integrated GPU) units shipped.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure if they are, from what i have read they seem to be counting PCs, desktop and notebooks, they claim they are counting...
    What interested me is they say "Q2 2014 saw the first decline in tablet sales, and one of the few increases in PC sales."

9. Gareth Halfacree

Oh, you're quite right - I missed that! Makes AMD's 11 per cent jump seem even more impressive, then.

Yeah, there have been a few reports that suggest that the tablet craze is bottoming out - like PCs, you don't need to buy a new tablet every single year any more and people are just sticking with what they've got.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea it does make AMD's 11% seem real nice, if they can't get into profit this year something really is a miss, what with Sony reporting they have sold 10 million odd PS4's

11. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

This is defiantly true in the blacko household. I've had an ipad2 for a while now and all we use it for is browsing the internet.

12. Gareth Halfacree

I've got a few tablets gathering dust - I really need to find a project for that HP TouchPad - but I still use my Xperia Tablet Z quite a lot. It's waterproof, so perfect for Netflix and reading Internet Archive magazine scans in the bath - although its 16:10 aspect ratio means there's a bit of wasted screen space when I'm doing the latter. What I *really* want is the Sony Electronic Paper with the 13.3" E-Ink screen - capable of viewing a US Letter page at 1:1 scale without cropping, or an ISO A4 page with a little bit of the edges missing - but it's crazy-expensive 'cos Sony are targeting the enterprise market for document management tasks.

13. BlueFalcon

BlueFalcon What's a Dremel?

No consoles, smartphone, tables sales are included at all in this market share, ONLY PCs:

http://www.techpowerup.com/204282/j...-shipments-in-q2-intel-up-4-nvidia-slips.html

The surveys of JPR for GPU market include both discrete graphics and integrated processors in graphics chips for PCs:
    http://www.computerbase.de/2014-08/amd-steigert-absatz-von-notebook-gpus-deutlich/

14. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Considering the majority of the discrete GPU's are somewhat long in the tooth is it really a surprise?

Enthusiasts are holding out for a next gen-part, the mainstream chugs along, and entry-level has been eaten into by improving iGPU performance.