1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Gardnerphotos' G5

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by gardnerphotos, 28 Jul 2014.

1. gardnerphotos

gardnerphotos What's a Dremel?

Welcome to my next mod, (and my first on Bit Tech) I have been planning this one for a while and seeing as I have now finished Sour Apple it is time to start again.

I realize that many of you may not know who I am as previously I have been strictly OCN but I have decided to venture onto Bit Tech this time around, my previous mod, Sour Apple, can be seen here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1386294/case-mod-sour-apple-photo-heavy

[​IMG]

This time I am going above and beyond the 'standard' G5 mod which IMHO is overdone and a bit boring. What I have planned is going to take the G5 to the next level, the only thing I will say is 2 480mm radiators and a 240mm radiator, go figure...

I have just collected 4 G5s in varying condition, 3 of them have severely damaged feet and they have their fair share of dents and dings although that is not a problem for what I have planned. All 4 G5s will be involved in the mod so this should be exciting

I have begun stripping them down and found that two of them are the watercooled ones which is pretty awesome. I have a 1.8Ghz, a 2Ghz which are the older models and then I have two 2005 models, a 2.3Ghz and a 2.5Ghz of which one is a quad core model. The 2.5Ghz one actually has all of its parts so might boot up but I have no power cable for it. However between the lot of them I should be able to scrape together a working system, the 2.5Ghz also came with a 750GB Hard Drive which is pretty nice

So far I am leaning towards the Gigabyte Z87X OC motherboard with 3 way crossfire 7970s or 7950s. At the moment I have no funds for hardware so the case will come first and by the time the custom work is done I should have saved enough

Any suggestions for a name are welcomed too!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2014
  2. gardnerphotos

reserved for final photos

3. gardnerphotos

Have some photos :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

When I saw your first post ithout any picture I was a bit affraid. But when I realized that you were THE gardner, author of one of the best G4 Mod ever, well, I started to drool. Your super G5 mod will be awesome, I'm willing to bet a buck ! :rock::clap:

5. gardnerphotos

Haha nope its me :) thanks for the kind words :D

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Looks like you plan to Frankenstein at least two together to make a larger case. -I like.:D
    Also, Welcome to Bit-Tech.

7. gardnerphotos

All four will be frankensteined to some extent ;) Thanks, it will take a bit of getting used to :)

8. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

can i have one ^^

9. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

It's almost two years that I look for a second hand G5 case to mod. HE HAS FOUR!!!:grr:
    (looking over your shoulder for ideas, the g4 with yellow tubes is fantastic!!)
    p.s can't see pictures
    Ciao

10. gardnerphotos

theyre all being used :(

Why has it taken you so long? Almost daily I see them go for 99p on eBay with no bids. You just need to find one that isnt working and that will reduce the cost. Thanks, Sour Apple took a loooong time haha.

Not sure why you can't see the pictures they are coming up fine for me

11. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

your such an ego :( #jk

Verstuurd van mijn GT-S7500 met Tapatalk

12. gardnerphotos

sorry man :p

13. gardnerphotos

I was taking a closer look at one of the inner shells today and my plan won't be as simple as I previously thought. I had (wrongly) assumed that the case was symmetrical from right to left meaning that the door surround panel could be removed from the right and installed on the left. This is not the case so I will have to fab a custom surround for the left of the case :(

14. Johnny71

Johnny71 What's a Dremel?

more more more now! :D

15. gardnerphotos

Still just working with renders :( I am going away on holiday at the end of the week but I will try to start modding when I get back. I have just switched to using solidworks which is sooooo much better than Sketchup :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

If I may ask, wouldn't have been easier to just have the shell made from scratch from your drawings? Than hacking and slashing 4 cases.

17. Monsieur R.

Monsieur R. In cornichons I trust.

Depending of the desired thickness of aluminium (over 4 mm), it could be difficult to bend it and shape it by yourself without a massive and/or expensive and/or specific tool, so hacking a pre-made case might be easier. My guess. :)

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

True, but there are metal companies that you can pay to do that for you.

19. gardnerphotos

It may have been but then it wouldn't be a true Mac Hack it would just be an imitation and it would never be exact, for example the hole spacing on the mesh is not standard it is slightly off square so the rows are closer together than the columns and for what I paid for the macs it is probably cheaper to hack than to start from scratch plus if I started from scratch I wouldnt have bits like the power button and the original power socket etc.

The thickest metal is only 3mm but it would still be a pain to bend

IMO the point of modding is doing stuff yourself, sending a drawing off to a manufacturer and receiving a case kinda kills it, I would rather spend the time to make it myself

20. Johnny71

Johnny71 What's a Dremel?

@gardnerphotos What program do you use for rendering? I just played a little with them and feel they are a bit tricky, don't know how to get it as I want to. Need to create renders of my own G5 project :)